Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing a radiator in a 2005 VW Passat TDI

• 27-08-2009 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

OK Boys and Girls - need some help and advice here.

Have to remove and replace the radiator in my 2005 Passat TDI 105BHP with aircon. Its the old model not the latest one.

I'm guessing that the front grille/bumper may need to be removed as a starter.

Anyone give me a few step by step instructions? Is it a job that that I can reasonably take on and complete or is it best to give it to a real mechanic?

I am reasonably capable but don't want to spend the whole week-end under the hood so to speak!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I suppose it depends on how capable you are.

You will need to remove the front bumper. Be sure that you are familiar with all the mounting bolts for the bumper.

Remember that you will need to catch the used coolant and dispose of it correctly and be sure that you have a litre of G12 coolant to refill with.

Sparse instructions in the link below and not for your engine type but it will give you an indication.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4508535_replace-radiator-vw-passat.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭golfbgud

Thanks for that crosstownnk.

I had actually found that same article during a search on the web.

Is the G12 Coolant a special VW Component or can it be purchased in a motor factors?

Looks like the bumper clips cannot be re-used? Suppose they are VW parts also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

golfbgud wrote: »
    Is the G12 Coolant a special VW Component or can it be purchased in a motor factors?

Looks like the bumper clips cannot be re-used? Suppose they are VW parts also?
    G12 is not that expensive from a main VW dealer although motor factors should do an equivalent. It's a pink coloured coolant so be sure you don't use G11 (blue).

The bumper clips won't be that expensive either and I'd imagine that a main dealer might be the easiest supplier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Might be of some help.

Removing and installing parts of cooling system
    Removing and installing radiator

Removing

‒ Drain coolant
    ‒ Removing front bumper:
    => General body repairs exterior; Repair group 63; Front bumper; Assembly overview

‒ Pull coolant hoses off radiator.
    ‒ Pull connectors off thermo-switch and radiator fan.
    ‒ Remove upper radiator securing clips and take out radiator forwards.
    Vehicles with air conditioning system:

‒ Observe additional information and removal work
    Installing

Installation is carried out in the reverse order.

Additional information and removal work on vehicles with air conditioner

Warning!
    The air conditioning system refrigerant circuit must not be opened.

Note:

To prevent damage to condenser and also to the refrigerant lines/hoses, ensure that the pipes and hoses are not stretched, kinked or bent.

‒ Remove retaining clamp(s) from refrigerant pipes.
    ‒ Remove condenser from radiator and pull forward as far as is possible.
    ‒ Pull radiator out between condenser and lock carrier.
    ‒ Secure condenser to body so that refrigerant pipes/hoses are not stressed.

Advertisement