Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pellets or layer foam?

Options
  • 27-08-2009 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

I live in a 4 bed bungaloe and got two insulating contractors in to price getting the attic insulated and the walls. Both quoted 2.5k (suspicous!?) but one said we should get the pellet insultion thats sprayed into the floor of the attic and the other said to use the more traditional roll out type. Both to a depth of 1ft. Apparetly sparkys and plumbers hate the pellets if they ever need access to pipes/wires in the attic.

So has anyone any advice on what option to go with? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SilverBER

Sparkys and plumbers hate anything that involves them doing more work than they need to so I would rule that out in your determination. There are numerous options for attic insulation nowadays from your traditional mineral wool insulation all the way up to sheeps wool. It depends on your preference. There are even insulated boards that also act as a walk way in the attic from XtraTherm. These wouldn't be liked by the sparkies and plumbers either but I like them as its a 2 for one installation.
    I recently did an insulation job in a school in Dublin. It was a 100% grant that the D of Ed are curently offering to schools and they specified 300mm mineral wool with 300mm Rockwool over the corridoors. A lot of people go for the cost factor in choosing insulation in order to achieve the required uValue and thats as good a system as any so its a very subjective thing really.

Advertisement