Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIRCOM PING TIMES!!!!!!!!SUCK

Options
  • 27-08-2009 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hello all,

I have recently moved to eircom from imagine and about 4 months ago. Up until about 1 and a half months ago eircom have been great until the evenings:mad:. As there ping/latency goes crazy near a 1000ms:eek:. Anyone know why or have the same problem?

Here's my crap 3mb BroadBand stats:(: usually happens from 20.00-00.00 hrs
    550064641.png

During the day it is perfection:D
    546031312.png

Why cant it stay like this the whole time it use to:(

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

more people would be connected in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

It's pretty much the same here, and it got to this state since around May. I'm with UTV / BT (depending on what username and password I connect with). It's always around those times that you've specified. It's just the sad state of ADSL broadband in Ireland. I can't see any solution being effected anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 daryljames

yeah i know more people connect in the evenings but like i said about a month and a half ago it was perfect in the evenings,the way it is there in the second stat result with 2.5mb so whats gone wrong with eircom?

Post your stat results of your broadband up aswell to compare them, lads and ladies see how it varies with your own ISP and my ISP $hitcom

This is ment to be 3mb.
    Its like the recession its going to get alot worse before it is going to get alot better:(
    550103719.png
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

550110031.png

my 3 mb package

I'm on 3Mb.

550108723.png

550109569.png

550110718.png

daryljames, I can see that your latency is very high. Two things to take note of.

1. Poor Wi-Fi receivers can often report highly inaccurate pings with speedtest.net servers. Do a Command Prompt ping instead, say to, the test server URL.

2. Speedtest.net reports slightly inaccurate pings, even in optimal conditions. Ping the same test server in the Command Prompt and you'll usually get a lower result.

You should also note that before this recession hit hard, ADSL broadband was still in an awful state. It only got worse after the first wave of speed upgrades occurred on July 26th last year. Contention became more of an issue, and the packet Interleaving setting was vastly increased, which resulted in higher latencies. You just cannot get at 10-15ms latency to any domestic server anymore. Pity UPC isn't more widely available, because my parents have it their home, and its QoS is so much higher and the latencies are as low as you'd want and expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

1445867474.png

My 7Mb

Usually 6.5
    i must be getting everybody elses bandwidth, i wish this was constant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

agree with op
    my pings we're always around 40-60
    i used check frequently as i play alot of ps3

just checked again now first time in months, not good, but i'm leaving them tomo, so i aint bothered !

550185045.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Same problem here. Has been escalated to Eircom 3 times. I am with U.TV

During the early afternoon the increase in ping times is noticiable. It starts at 30ms which is good and goes to 40-50 before long its 90. Then by mid evening its hovering around 250-500. I have 7.6mb and was on 3mb. They moved me to the lower contention. It made NO difference at all.

Like another poster mentioned about 6 weeks ago it was PERFECT the ping never rose above 50. Then all of a sudden it went to ****.

X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

relax people,

eircom are upgrading all systems and upgrading all security etc.

maybe its interfering with the speed ?

but having said that my 3MB is currently running at 6MB :p
    nah just kidding, i rang them earlier to downgrade the speed cos i dont really need it and the changes havent happened yet :o

They are doing maintenance upgrades, but before Christmas, it only affects exchanges in Dublin and some surrounding areas.

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=173&E=0000000000183194016&K=1011&SXI=0&E=0000000000183194016&St=173&K=1011&SXI=0&case=8109&branch=4

I doubt that this is what the cause is. More likely it's overuse of the servers and bandwidth at the exchange, where Eircom could make improvements but are too poor/tight to do so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

550865483.png

My 3mb stats with eircom

Today (on 3Mb):

550867478.png

550868339.png

550869394.png

And even that was only the top speed. Each test took an age, the amount of stalling was huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

550956466.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

In west wicklow my eircom is gone to feck this week aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Can people who have issues with ping times report them to Eircom. If only one person is moaning on the end of a phone its a lot less compelling than a handful complaining of the same thing.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

naughto wrote: »
    550956466.png

We had the same problem on UPC about two weeks ago and it lasted for a week or more it seemed to be a routing problem on their end.

551356829.png

As you can see all seems to be ok now.
    High ping times are a disaster for games.
    If Eircom had them ok in the past they should be able to fix it again.

Edit here is the Galway server.551360081.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

i was playing online with cod4 last night it worked perfectly no lag no nothing,and one of my friends was online as well using the same connection so its happy days for me

Advertisement