Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Economics

Options
  • 27-08-2009 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

Ok so I'm heading into 5th Year (scary stuff! lol!) and I've picked French, Business, Physics and History as my choice subjects. I'm also planning on doing Applied Maths outside school (it's not available in my school), which would be between 2 and 4 evenings a week.

I plan on studying Actuarial Finance in uni, but it's around 540 points. I'm thinking of teaching myself Economics at home in order to help my point chances because I am pretty weak at Irish. My dad has an A level in Economics as well as studying it as part of his Accounting Degree and he offered to help teach me it.

How easy a subject is it to do yourself? And would it be worth it?!

Thanks a mill!
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

So assuming you're doing English, Irish and Maths, that seems to come to 9 subjects in all, two outside of school ... of which you can only count 6 for points.

Are you sure this is the best way to help your points chances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Yeah I know how it seems! lol! But Maths is my best subject (honours A in the JC).

I know I haven't started yet but I wouldn't be surprised if I dropped to OL in Irish. I'm also expecting mid-grades in French and History at higher lever (around a high C or low B) but that leaves getting my points on A1s in the other subjects, which doesn't leave much room!..

Hope this makes sense?! lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

Economics is defo a subject you can teach yourself. I taught it myself this year with not alot of effort and got an A2. You will find it very easy to get at least a B2 but it gets tricky after that. There is not alot of maths to it IMO except for a few formulas and using them.

On a side note would not advise doing 9 subjects!Maybe 8 at a stretch!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Im not too sure about economics, but I do think 9 subjects is a bit much. You should definitely drop down to pass in at least one of them. If you are good at maths, definitely do applied maths! Maths was my best subject in school, and I decided to take up applied maths in 6th year. Completed the course in 8 months, two classes a week (5th and 6th year classes), didnt do physics, and got an A1! Got an A1 in maths aswell, so definitely take on this subject if you like maths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

Can I just say that an A in junior cert maths is no indication of succes in the subject at leaving cert level.

So you have Irish, English, Maths, French, Business, Physics, History, Applied Maths and Economics.

I'd personally drop to OL Irish and French right away. Then you have English, Maths, Business, Physics, History, Applied Maths and Economics for points.

Then you would have no orals to worry about and only a history research project to do. Its important not to have your intrests divided in 5th year.

• Advertisement

Yeah Applied Maths is definitly a go ahead for me but because maths and business comes natural to me I was thinking of doing Economics because I wouldn't find it to stressful. Plus my dad is in business and told me he'd teach me it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Can someone explain to me wtf is the obsession with extra subjects by so many of the new 5th years:confused:

Seriously lads, if your weak at a subject, it dosen't matter, that's why we do 7! I don't think these new batch realise the work involved in each subject. Like I know were all eager to do well, but some of the posts I've seen on this forum recently just make me laugh at some peoples belief in themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Reillyman wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me wtf is the obsession with extra subjects by so many of the new 5th years:confused:

Seriously lads, if your weak at a subject, it dosen't matter, that's why we do 7! I don't think these new batch realise the work involved in each subject. Like I know were all eager to do well, but some of the posts I've seen on this forum recently just make me laugh at some peoples belief in themselves...
    I think it's partly because every year the media makes a big splash about the "top achievers" with the 8 / 9 / 10 A1s. Fair play to them, but the reality is that very few people are capable of that (and nobody actually needs them!)

It's great that people have belief in themselves, that's a very good thing ... but channel it wisely.

There is a lot of work involved in each subject and often you're far better to maximise your efforts into 7 or maybe at most 8 subjects (some people may be weak at a couple of the core subjects like Irish and Maths, and be afraid to rely on them for points) rather than spreading yourself too thinly.
    Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    Yeah Applied Maths is definitly a go ahead for me but because maths and business comes natural to me I was thinking of doing Economics because I wouldn't find it to stressful. Plus my dad is in business and told me he'd teach me it.
    I can see the attraction of Economics and Applied Maths, given your preferred course, but why not drop history (a subject which I love myself, but one which has no relevance to your goal, and which needs a fair bit of graft to do well in) ... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

I can see the attraction of Economics and Applied Maths, given your preferred course, but why not drop history (a subject which I love myself, but one which has no relevance to your goal, and which needs a fair bit of graft to do well in) ... ?

Drop a subject says he?:p

Surely Randy you realise that that is not an option for the over-eager 5th years? Take up more subjects I say, why not go for the record whatever it is, or better still try and do every subject?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

I would highly recommend Ecomonics.

Took it up at Easter of 6th year, poured over some notes and revision books, practised a few questions, ended up getting a D2.

Could have gotten a C1 if i had worked a little harder, but i was lazy :P

Very very dooable.

• Advertisement

:L I'm not hoping for all As! lol! I can't drop history because of the school timetable!

The way I see it is that economics is second nature to me and so wouldn't take a load of stress to learn???

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

I find economics fairly easy. If you want to be an actuary you should definately do as the two go hand in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Reillyman wrote: »

There is the cutbacks aswell.. my broter doesn't have choice of language in 1st year because the school is so small and it continues right up to 6th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

9 subjects is a bit much. I did 8 personally, but didn't work too hard at Irish so I could really focus on the others.

What most people heading into 5th Year don't realise is that LC subjects are, by and large, quite difficult. Some subjects have gigantic courses (History, Business and Biology are good examples of this) while others are difficult to understand and tend to have very challenging papers (HL Maths, Physics, Chem etc). And then there's some subjects you just have to have a natural aptitude for (English, French/German/whatever, Music). I got quite a shock when I started 5th Year and saw how tough the LC subjects are, and I'm sure that happens to most people.

How often is your dad going to teach you Economics? And will he give you tests in it or anything? I didn't do Economics, but I've heard that there's less rote learning involved than in Business, but on the other hand, it's supposed to be harder to understand.

Advertisement