Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Registry Corrupt

• 27-08-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to fix my friends computer. I don't know how it happened but it looks like the registry is all messed up. Some of the desktop icons have changed to a generic windows icon and when I double click on them nothing happens. However, if I start the command prompt they will run from there.

I have tried downloading a number of registry fix programs but none seem to work. I have also tried using a system restore point but when the computer restarts its unable to execute the restore program (message about not knowing what program created the .exe file).

He is using XP.

I would appreciate any help I can get as he uses the computer for his business.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Hi, I tried the first part which told me to create a new registry file type (EXE). 2 things have happened: Firstly some of the programs have regained their icons, secondly, when double clicking on them I now get an error message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel".

I didn't try the second part of that link as I'm too afraid to touch the registry, I wanted to leave that until a last resort.

Thanks for your help.

Okay I got fed up and tried the second part to that link. Seems to have worked!

Thanks alot for your time and help.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi, I tried the first part which told me to create a new registry file type (EXE). 2 things have happened: Firstly some of the programs have regained their icons, secondly, when double clicking on them I now get an error message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel".

I didn't try the second part of that link as I'm too afraid to touch the registry, I wanted to leave that until a last resort.

Thanks for your help.

Did you ensure to make the .exe extension associated with applications file type? (See first steps on my link), also click the advanced>>button in case this bit is hidden,

Hope this helps

Nick

Yep sure did.

Thanks again Nike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement