Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

relocating to South Co. Dublin - advice

Options
  • 27-08-2009 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi there, we are relocating to South Co. Dublin - hubby has a new job in Sandyford ind est. Am looking at Dundrum/Ballinteer, Stillorgan and Rathfarnham/Marley/Knocklyon - only 1 car so looking for somewhere easy commute by public transport (or even walking distance) to Sandyford - if anyone can recommend somewhere I haven't thought of that would be good too :). Also though want somewhere with good schools and pre-schools and a nice family atmosphere with good facilities. We will be renting initially but would ideally rent in an area we can afford to buy in a year or so.

We are both from South Dublin originally so know these areas but not to live in. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What other things do you want access to? Will you have a job? Doctor? Shopping?

The Luas Green line is the best public transport in the area, but rents may be a bit higher. Luas is being extended to Cherrywood, but don't expect it to be open until well into 2010. Transport along the N11 corridor is also very good.

Some areas might have lower rents, but are in the middle of nowhere when it comes to access and services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MrsMaz

I work from home so location isn't really an issue for me, except it would be handy to be close enough to supermarket and/or shopping centres. I'm looking at Stillorgan/Dundrum and Knocklyon/Rathfarnham in particular. Any estates you would recommend (or not!) would be most helpful.

thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Stay clear of Rathfarnham and specifically Knocklyon. The commute to Sandyford by road (or 75 bus) is a nightmare. The off ramp at Sandyford M50 can have a queue of up to 20+mins on it.

I would say no further west than Ballinteer. Budget depending I would try either Sandyford itself (it's a big area with lots of estates) or Stillorgan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MrsMaz

Dyflin wrote: »
    Stay clear of Rathfarnham and specifically Knocklyon. The commute to Sandyford by road (or 75 bus) is a nightmare. The off ramp at Sandyford M50 can have a queue of up to 20+mins on it.

I would say no further west than Ballinteer. Budget depending I would try either Sandyford itself (it's a big area with lots of estates) or Stillorgan.

oh, thanks for that Dyflin will maybe concentrate on Dundrum/Ballinteer and Stillorgan/Sandyford areas then.

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Stillorgan or Kilmacud are both very handy for Sandyford, just a short walk to work. If you have some specific estate or area in mind drop us a name to advise. Another option would be to look in Leopardstown/Foxrock, there are some good house deals as you don't compete with the UCD crowd, also some good options on the Blackrock side of N11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Stepaside mightn't be a bad bet either, 47 bus goes from Belarmine Estate right into Sandyford and is very regular in the mornings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Ballinteer is a good area - there are excellent public transport links with the 14, 14A, 48A and 75 buses going through the heart of the area and the 16 along Grange Road, with peaktime 116 and 161 also. The 75 goes via Sandyford in the morning and evening peaks and is a very reliable service. All of the buses can be accessed easily from the Marley Grange/Llewellyn estates. The LUAS at Balally is a 25 minute walk from Ballinteer Church.

There is a LIDL and Superquinn in the area, and you're only 10 minutes by bus (max) from Dundrum. Most other amenities are available in the area including a new public swimming pool/leisure centre in Broadford.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

Belarmine is the best option. You have the 47 going through sandyford (trip takes about 10 mins) and we have the best foodshop in here. More services will follow soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Somewhere around the windy Arbour Milltown area I'd say. Better getting the outbound LUAS in the morning and the inbound LUAS in the evening than vice-versa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

KC61 wrote: »
    new public swimming pool/leisure centre in Broadford.

its actually in ludford not broadford

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I had to go to Sandyford Industrial Estate yesterday afternoon by public transport from near Bray. Only 1 bus service not even hourly. Left my house at 13.30 and didn't get home 'till 17.00 and all for a 20 mintute meeting.

Make sure there is excellent public transport ie Luas from where you move to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Hey if your looking at Sandyford make sure its near enough the Luas cause the 44 bus route is dire. The most unreliable bus service out there. Ballaly is a nice area close enough to Luas and to Dundrum town centre, Industrial estate just up the road. Not sure about the cost of rent there tho!

Ive just moved from Rathfarnham (nutgrove) and the 14 is the second worse bus service!!!! Brutal for weekends and late evening service. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

its actually in ludford not broadford

Well it's accessible from both!

Advertisement