Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking your bike

• 27-08-2009 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

Have the theory test coming up and just wondering it says its against the law to park on a pathway but to be honest its the only place I've ever seen a bike parked!Like outside a shop or beside an electricity pole...whats the story?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

As long as you use your head and don't cause an obstruction you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Its against the law to do a lot of things. In the absence of dedicated, safe bike parking spots you should ensure the safety of others and the security of your bike. Park where its not in the way and not likely to hurt anyone and you'll be fine.

I live in Galway and the only approved bike parking is on the kerb outside Kellys bar. I never use it for fear of some tool messing with my bike. I usually walk it up into a pedestrian zone and lock it to the bank that owns it.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I usually walk it up into a pedestrian zone and lock it to the bank that owns it.

'cptr

Great idea, at least they can't complain.

In Ireland you're not allowed to use car parking spaces or park on the path. In other European countries bikes are treated like all other vehicles and awarded the same respect.

In Ireland you're a second class citizen on the roads so anywhere you park is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

KTRIC wrote: »
    In Ireland you're not allowed to use car parking spaces

:confused: You are allowed use car spaces.

:confused: You are allowed use car spaces.

Sorry should have been more specific. Not car park spaces on the street owned by the council. Private car parks are a different matter.

• Advertisement

Sorry should have been more specific. Not car park spaces on the street owned by the council. Private car parks are a different matter.

Oh. I've used spaces on the street loads of times and never got in any trouble. There's nothing in the rules of the road about bikes not being allowed use car spaces.

Oh. I've used spaces on the street loads of times and never got in any trouble. There's nothing in the rules of the road about bikes not being allowed use car spaces.

Where ? and the rules of the road are guidelines not law.

Where ? and the rules of the road are guidelines not law.

Yes they are not law, but I dont remember seeing it in the RTA either.

Anyone got in trouble from warden/garda for parking in car space? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I parked my bike in a parking space a few years ago as warden was going around. Was talking to him and he said it was fine. Told him I had no parking ticket, he just said he never fined a bike for no ticket and never would.

seanybiker wrote: »
    I parked my bike in a parking space a few years ago as warden was going around. Was talking to him and he said it was fine. Told him I had no parking ticket, he just said he never fined a bike for no ticket and never would.

Thats what I meant. Parking in a public parking space. It is illegal for motorbikes because you can't display a ticket. Just wait for a boll0x of an inspector to come around and stick a big sticky ticket to the paint of your bike if you don't believe me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Yes they are not law, but I dont remember seeing it in the RTA either.

Anyone got in trouble from warden/garda for parking in car space? :confused:

I dont believe it is in the road traffic act.... but it is in the parking by-laws for each of the town or city councils.
    For example in the dublin city council parking by-laws 2008 it says...
    "A motor cycle, with or without a sidecar, or a pedal cycle shall not be parked during operational hours in a ticket parking place."

So the question is, where exactly are we ment to park legally????

Advertisement