Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standard Cable Advice - Read First Post before replying

• 27-08-2009 10:54pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It has been suggested that a "standard" Cables advice thread be drafted and that future queries be directed to that post as the standard advice from the community here, instead of having the usual ructions and disagreements everytime the issue is raised.

I don't think that I'm qualified to write the last word on the subject, but I have a suggestion which might work out.

I am asking posters, most particularly the "regulars", to give their advice on the kind of cables to use for audio and video, analogue and video, bearing in mind the community here and the type of equipment that the majority of users will be using. I would like to stress that I am looking for informed opinion on equipment in which you have real world actual experience, as opposed to your opinion based on what you've read or learned, i.e. please do not post advice on, for instance, component video cables, unless you actually use them. Hopefully we will identify enough common ground to draft a sticky.

Here are the killer rules: you can only post once. I am not opening up a thread for discussion, because I have no wish to see OMG (and a lot worse) responses. You are asked not to submit a thesis on your position, references to learned papers, threads on other forums, just say you think X-Y-Z is the best thing for connecting A-B-C and say why in as concise a manner as possible. The purpose of the thread is to canvass opinions, you are not allowed to comment on any way on other opinions, just one chance to say what you think is appropriate to use.

If posters try to use their opportunity to pass comment or bait in respect of an existing post i.e. "ignore people who say xxx" or the equivalent, deletion and a ban will ensue.

If you want an additional category added or have any other suggestions or observations, please feel free to PM me, but don't derail this thread.

So, please give your opinion on suitable cable to connect:

• Speakers in standard stereo and 5.1 or 7.1 home cinema steups.

• Analogue stereo interconnects to connect a CD player to an amplifier.

• Digital Interconnect to connect a DVD player to an AV receiver.

• Analogue video cables to connect a DVD player to a TV or to an AV receiver.

• HDMI cable to connect DVD/BluRay/STB/Console to AV Receiver or to TV.

I need to think about my own response to this thread (hey, I get to post twice...) so I'll be back in a day or so. Happy to listen to requests for useful additions to this list, just PM me.

Thanks,

Ritz.

Advertisement