Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Europa League Draw 12.00 Friday

• 28-08-2009 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Since Celtic are in this competition I better get the interest up. UEFA have moved to groups of 4 teams, playing each other twice, like the CL which will improve things.

It looks a strong competition this year with most teams being of similar quality to the Pot 3 and 4 teams in the CL.

Pot 1
    Werder Bremen
    Villarreal
    AS Roma
    PSV Eindhoven
    Shakhtar Donetsk
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Hamburg SV
    Benfica
    Valencia
    Panathinaikos
    Ajax
    Steaua Bucharest

Pot 2
    Fenerbahçe
    FC Basel
    Lille OSC
    Celtic
    Everton
    Club Brugge
    Heerenveen
    Galatasaray
    Anderlecht
    Austria Vienna
    FC Copenhagen
    Lazio

Pot 3
    Hertha Berlin
    Sparta Prague
    Dinamo Bucharest
    AEK Athens
    Slavia Prague
    Levski Sofia
    Athletic Bilbao
    Partizan Belgrade
    Hapoel Tel-Aviv
    FC Twente Enschede
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Fulham FC

Pot 4
    CSKA Sofia
    Toulouse FC
    CFR Cluj
    Genoa
    Rapid Vienna
    FC Timisoara
    BATE Borisov
    Nacional Funchal
    FC Salzburg
    Sturm Graz
    FK Ventspils
    Sheriff Tiraspol

Villarreal, Everton, Twente, Toulouse could be tasty
    or Shakhtar, Celtic, Fulham, Genoa...

No walkovers at all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm an Ajax fan and I'm very very happy we're first seeds, that pot 1 is TOUGH. But there's still the likes of Everton, Galatasaray, Bilbao and Celtic to avoid; although Everton or Celtic drawn with us means I'll probably head to an away game. Either that or Sofia where I have family, CSKA would be a dream draw.

Rapid Vienna must be a danger team too eh? :p

I'm hoping most of the teams will be feeling like we're one to fear but realistically we're one of the softer draws from pot 1. A pity, but if we want to get playing at the top level in Europe again we've got to beat whoever we're drawn with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Genoa in Pot 4? Otherwise they'd have a chance of going all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

To go all the way they'd have to beat the best teams, yet they can't beat them to get out of their group?

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

Nah no chance. Crespo a great signing alright but the squad doesn't have enough quality. Plus they sold Milito who was a big reason for them getting into the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The quality, particularly the quality in depth of the Europa league is much grater than that of the UEFA Cup.

There's only a handful of sides there that would look out of place as a team in the Champions League and quite a lot of those teams would probably have been pot 3 teams in the CL if they'd have qualified.

Should make for a great competition this year, and in one sense it's more interesting than the Champions League(although I'm glad the format for that has changed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Big Ears wrote: »
    The quality, particularly the quality in depth of the Europa league is much grater than that of the UEFA Cup.

The quality is no different then last year really, just the format that is changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Big Ears

JPA wrote: »
    The quality is no different then last year really, just the format that is changed.

I'd disagree, I think the 6 teams that probably would have made the Champions League that are now in this competition makes it much stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The Europa League looks like a very interesting propsect to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

As an Everton fan, I'm looking forward to this draw... Lots of very tough teams in Pot 1.

Werder Bremen, Villarreal, AS Roma, PSV Eindhoven, Shakhtar Donetsk, Sporting CP Lisbon, Hamburg SV, Benfica, Valencia, Panathinaikos, Ajax, Steaua Bucharest.

Most of these have been in the Champions League in the last few seasons. Would like to get Villarreal again. We owe them one from 2005 :D

There are going to be some tasty groups indeed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Agree that there are some very decent teams in there. Much stronger than Pot 4 of the CL and some of Pot 3. There will be tough groups.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

You can watch the live draw on www.uefa.com or the usual TV channels like Setanta

Everton drawn against Benfica.

Hamburg for Celtic

Should be a couple of good games there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Hamburg for Celtic

Should be a couple of good games there anyway.

The atmosphere will be electric given the Celtic/St Pauli fans and Rangers/Hamburg fans links...

Jesus tough group so far for Celtic.

Hapoel Tel Aviv....tough away trip,Celtic should win at home though

Hamburg
    Celtic
    Hapoel Tel Aviv
    Rapid Vienna

Anderlecht, Dinamo Zagreb and Timisoara....I'm pretty happy with that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Hamburg
    Celtic
    Hapoel Tel Aviv
    Rapid Vienna

Hopefully Celtic will come through

Its a tough group but i expect Celtic to take at least 7 points from their home games, wether they can pick something else up on their travels remains to be seen.

Could be some very interesting away clashes for off the field reasons though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Tough enough draw for Everton

Benfica
    AEK Athens
    BATE

Its more the distance away trips to Greece and Belarus that i'd worry about. Should come out of that group though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Eirebear wrote: »
    Hapoel Tel Aviv....tough away trip

They are no great shakes, but it will be a great away trip. Well worth a visit.

Advertisement