Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

veggie garden beginner

Options
  • 28-08-2009 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

well ive decided that i am going to start a veggie garden.
    i have absolutley no idea where to begin, but im looking forward to eating fresh, unsprayed organic veggies and herbs.

has anyone any tips? what do i grow and when? whats the best for beginners? i have a large garden and have a good bit of space to invest in this garden. :o)

what can i do with the kids? i know they ll prob love it (3 smallies) butdoes anyone here have smalls and a veggie garden? will i need an electric barbed wire fense to keep them out?
    and animals? i can fense it off to keep the dog out.. but the cat? have i any hope?

thanks in advance :D

using hubbys username btw.. forgot my own login... in case any of ye know him... its wifey! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well jackrussell007-wifey, welcome to the world of 'grow-your-own', it's great! :D

I'm only a beginner myself so don't really know what you can and can't plant right now off the top of my head. However, two weeks ago we planted our second crop of broad beans and dwarf beans, as well as more 'cut and come again' salad leaves. We planted all of these from seed and the broad and dwarf bean plants are up and going well :)

Have a look at this website for some information and motivation :)

We usually start potting our seeds in January and February in seed compost and seed pots. We keep them indoors until they are ready to go out.

The back of most packets of seeds gives great advice on when to sow.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

oh thanks for the tips...
    well i spent ages last night googling info on getting a veggie garden in order. most things it seems i cant start till well after x mas... but im not deterred. that gives me plenty of time to get my garden dug, fenced off and plowed etc etc. i suppose ill have to put up some kind of mesh or something for the rodent cats in our neighbourhood.

and also i am going to invest (or build) a greenhouse...
    we dont have space to keep seedlings indoors. and also i want to have lots and lots of herbs as the husband is a self proclaimed chef and loves cooking.. :)

its all so exciting isnt it?

what are you planning on planting after the new year?
    im thinking tomatoes.. (home grown are fab and meant to be easy for starters like me) courgettes, brocolli, cauilflower, cabbage, rubarb, maybe strawberries. and hopefully peas. i dont know if ill be able to master peas as they re not really for beginners.. are they?

has anyone considered chickens? i would love love love chickens and fresh free range yellow eggs for the morning... oh id love it but husband is drawing the line. ragin....

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

hiya, just my input, i am a novice kinda second year of growing.
    So far i found peas were dead easy to grow (just have something in place for them to climb, i used bamboo sticks but it wasnt great) and cropped well. potatoes did well but i sprayed them too late for blight, but i still got a reasonable harvest. lettuce was good. fount carrots a struggle to get right, they kept splitting into two (too many close together i have been told). i grew turnips but they turned out almost square, duno why, they might have been too close together as well. deffo do strawberries, they did well without much help, just get them in early enough. tomatoes didnt go well for me, i am in mayo and i think it was simply too cold. i think a tunnel/glass is the best for that. i tried planting corn but it still hasnt cropped and i think its getting too late. i threw in some rhubarb but it only has established itself now.
    what i would suggest is dont take on too much. keep it simple so you can see if ya like it or not. i found that if i left the patch alone for a few days, things went bad, like weeds taking over or such, ya really need to do a small bit most days to keep on top. good therapy though!
    chickens deffo a good idea, i got eight hens and they are so easy to keep, although one died and another disappeared. the big thing there is to make sure they are secure, that foxes or mink cant get into them!
    Have to say i am already looking forward to next year, planning changes i am gonna make! good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

krazyklown wrote: »
    fount carrots a struggle to get right, they kept splitting into two (too many close together i have been told). i grew turnips but they turned out almost square, duno why, they might have been too close together as well.

If they taste good, who cares what they look like. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I really am looking forward to starting this one day, and will keep an eye on your progress here. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

oh im looking forward to it.
    i know i cant start now... but ive a couplpe of months to get my garden is order.
    o be honest i am aiming high as i have loads of room, and i think it would be boring if i only do 2 or 3 things. i know half of what i plant wont make it... lol. so may as well plant what i can.
    i am at home all day long, so am willing to put in the little bit every day.

are the chickens messy? id like chickens and to be honest we have the perfect "pen" for them already but husband is just not having it... im so annoyed.

i dont think ill do carrots or spuds cos we eat so many of these, we d harvest straight away and they d be just gone... id like to have some bits that i can use for a little bit longer. like peas once a fortnight or something. or if i had 3 or 4 cabbages that d do us for a couple of months. same with cauliflower.

anyone tried brussles sprouts? im not defintley doing ALL these things, but trying to narrow down my selection. appreciating the comments btw... helps when im trying to decide what to grow.

by the way? anyone have a greenhouse? how much to buy? anyone made theirs? what do ye do with your seedlings?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

dh0661 wrote: »
    If they taste good, who cares what they look like. ;)

Aye my sentiments exactly!!!

As for the chickens, they arent particularly messy, as far as i see the only muck that accumalates is under their perch where they huddle at night. Apart from that i dont notice anything, althought they have a big area to roam in. Just get a chicken ark or something and two or three hens. Unless ya eat eggs for every meal ya should have enough for your needs if they lay every day.

Advertisement