Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Off-Topic Thread

Options
  • 28-08-2009 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

How about we create a sticky "Off-Topic" thread for the LC forum?

The BGRH crew have the bar, the GC have Brandy and Cigars, so how about one for the LC forum for general banter etc and things that aren't important enough to create a new thread for?

Anyone else think it's a good idea?

/edit

Btw, for those of you who may not know, there's a forum specifically for younger people on boards to talk about music, their interests and opinions etc. called Clearasil & Hormones. While we don't mind having an OT thread in here do pop in there too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

NO.

The LC is serious business didn't ya kno?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

K4t wrote: »
    NO.

The LC is serious business didn't ya kno?;)

Hmmph, I was hoping all the serious ones had gone off with ye from the class of '09...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I like this idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Reillyman wrote: »
    Hmmph, I was hoping all the serious ones had gone off with ye from the class of '09...
    Indeed, and look what we left behind....*shudder*

Good thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Hmmm nice idea:rolleyes: What would it be called:p

• Advertisement

theowen wrote: »
    Hmmm nice idea:rolleyes: What would it be called:p

Hardbacks and Revision Books?

Make some suggestions, anything LC related should be okay...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Reillyman wrote: »
    Hardbacks and Revision Books?

Books closed, a4 pads burned. It gives a "chill the feck out from the leaving cert for a min" kind of vibe:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

guiiise! Yer interrupting my studyin' n' worryin'!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I wouldn't have a problem with it either, once people realise that "off-topic" doesn't mean people can say what they want, abuse other users, etc.

Two, probably three of those stickies can be released in the next week or so, Eventine.

Though I swear if I'm around during the next year I am going to be kicking the 6th Years' asses to read their fupping CAO handbook!! :mad:

I was amazed to find so many people still not understanding the basic mechanics of the process even in the days before the offers came out.

No wonder so many people make poor choices and end up regretting them!

• Advertisement

So this is now the official off-topic thread then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Mods, I know an off topic thread isnt exactly a bad thing, but maybe you could push people over to Clearasil and Hormones, I think getting people to go over there would mean that users would actually use more than one forum, rather than just using the LC forum and leave Boards completely when theyre done (Which happens every year)

Also, while I like Clearasil and Hormones, it mightnt be too obvious to new users, what exactly it is, a sticky on here might be an idea.

I dunno, keep it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Fad wrote: »
    Mods, I know an off topic thread isnt exactly a bad thing, but maybe you could push people over to Clearasil and Hormones, I think getting people to go over there would mean that users would actually use more than one forum, rather than just using the LC forum and leave Boards completely when theyre done (Which happens every year)

Also, while I like Clearasil and Hormones, it mightnt be too obvious to new users, what exactly it is, a sticky on here might be an idea.

I dunno, keep it in mind.

What he said.

What he said.

Donnely is just jealous that I have came up with an idea that allows my legacy to live on when I leave the LC forum...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Ssssshhhhhh

eVeNtInE wrote: »

That's grand, I'm just trying to make sure people are made aware of C&H's existence.

Also the OP seems to be in this for the glory, edit it so you're the opening post of the thread :pac:

YOU WILL GET ALL THE GLORY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

How come the 2010ers get a OT thread

I feel let down that we didnt get one last year:(

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

Secoundrow wrote: »

You should have thought of it first :p

Secoundrow wrote: »

We got C&H which is just as good, if not better, theyre just too lazy to go over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Call it "the canteen" or "Behind the bike sheds"

phasers wrote: »
    Call it "the canteen" or "Behind the bike sheds"

Maybe a tribute to an acne treatment crossed with a chemical released by one or more cells that affects cells in other parts of the organism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

You have much to learn about modship, little grasshopper.

*randomly bans someone*
    Maybe a tribute to an acne treatment crossed with a chemical released by one or more cells that affects cells in other parts of the organism.

Pfft.....that'll NEVER take off!

Pfft.....that'll NEVER take off!

Yeah, it was a ridiculous suggestion, I'm sorry.

I would! :D

But Reillyman hasn't annoyed me enough ... yet anyway! :pac:
    phasers wrote: »
    Call it ... "Behind the bike sheds"

Tempting though that is, I would prefer the title to suggest more than smoking and clumsy fumblings ... >_>

How about "Study Break" ?

Fad, I know what you're saying re: C&H, I was thinking about it myself. But you do get people who get to know one another here, and won't necessarily transfer the chat to another forum, or at least not for every little thing. Also it could be quite handy for us as mods ... when a chat breaks out on a thread which really should be kept on topic, it's a lot handier to sling the relevant posts up to the chat thread and direct people there without having to come the heavy and gag people completely.

Fad, I know what you're saying re: C&H, I was thinking about it myself. But you do get people who get to know one another here, and won't necessarily transfer the chat to another forum, or at least not for every little thing. Also it could be quite handy for us as mods ... when a chat breaks out on a thread which really should be kept on topic, it's a lot handier to sling the relevant posts up to the chat thread and direct people there without having to come the heavy and gag people completely.

Was just a suggestion :)

I do know how ridiculously off topic things can get on here (This forum in particular), but if it ever gets way too much to handle, dumping the problem on the C&H mods is only a few clicks away :pac:

Was just a suggestion :)
    Oh, I know ... and as I say, the same thought had been running around in my mind, and I had been weighing up the pros and cons.
    I do know how ridiculously off topic things can get on here (This forum in particular), but if it ever gets way too much to handle, dumping the problem on the C&H mods is only a few clicks away :pac:
    True ... though given that KnifeW. mods both ... >_>

Tbh, if this goes ahead I'd say we'll still be throwing the odd thread which doesn't fit here C&H way anyway.

And yes, we do see a bit of fair bit of off-topicness here at times, and I doubt this will stop it entirely either, but personally speaking at least it depends on the context.

E.g.
    OP Does anyone know what date the LC starts on in 2010?

Poster 2 The Xth of June, see link to SEC here.

OP Thanks a million, Poster 2, may your girlfriend's father never wake up until your pants are safely back on!!

Poster 3 God, I'm dreading it!!

Poster 4 Which, the exams or the girlfriend's father waking up? :pac:

OK, posts by Poster 3 and 4 are strictly speaking off topic, but the question has been asked and answered already, and verification supplied, so I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist about it.

On the other hand, if someone pops in with an urgent question about the CAO the night before the deadline, and someone starts taking the piss or arguing about something else entirely on the thread, we as mods will always step in as soon as we see it.

Context, people, and a bit of cop on!!

Btw, Fad, that's not "aimed" at you or anything, you just sent my thoughts in a certain direction!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Have your OT thread, class of '10. I hope you all feel a little stab of guilt when you post in it, for ignoring your studies.

Advertisement