Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner

Options
  • 28-08-2009 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I have recently started fishing with a friend of mine.
    We just do it for a bit of fun, something to pass the time.
    However, I would like to get a bit better and maybe even catch something soon.
    Is there any good books websites which I can refer to with regards to beginners and fishing.
    I really only know how to attach lures to my line and then cast.
    I would like to learn about the different types of lures, and which ones are best for catching certain types of fish.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

There is a thread a few months back called Your favourite fishing books which might help. Did you read that yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Hi Donnors,

You will have to give us a bit more info than that...

- is it freshwater or sea fishing, river or lake?
    - where do you fish?
    - what do you fish for?
    - what type of gear do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

SeaFields wrote: »
    - where do you fish?
    - what do you fish for?
    Was about to ask! A bit hard to help without knowing the above...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 D0nners

coolwings wrote: »
    There is a thread a few months back called Your favourite fishing books which might help. Did you read that yet?

Nope, haven't read that one yet. Ill give it a look now.
    Hi Donnors,

You will have to give us a bit more info than that...

- where do you fish?
    - what do you fish for?

Oops, guess that shows how much of a beginner I am. I didnt think they were important.

At the moment Im fishing on a lake that is full of pike.
    Im not fishing for a particular type of fish at the moment. Catching anything would be great.
    As for gear, Im using my dads rod at the moment but I will be investing in my own one soon. (Although Im not sure which type is the best for me).
    In my tackle box, I just have a few different sized weights and various lures ( I dont even know the names of them ).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Well if you are that much of a beginner I suggest you follow Coolwings advice above and read that thread on fishing books and maybe invest in one.

Also watch a couple of the fishing programs on telly. Plenty of them on Discovery Home and Leisure. Even on Youtube I just searched for "pike fishing ireland" and lots of stuff came up.

As for your gear without knowing what you want to fish for its hard to give advice but maybe if you ask in the local tackle shop what people fish for around the area and try a few places you might find the type of fishing you like best. Perhaps stick with your fathers rod for awhile until you decide what you like best and then invest in you own. The tackle shop will be able to best advise you on what type of rod.

And finally don't be afraid to ask other anglers for advice.

Tight lines :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You could let the place live be what decides which kind of fishing to try first.
    Like:
    do you live on the coast (= sea fishing) or up some mountain (= stream fishing and mountain lakes) or in the midlands (=loads of coarse fishing, and trout in certain locations).

Popping into your local tackle shop will result in finding out the nearest fishing clubs, and that will also help making up your mind, based on what is conveniently nearest.

Advertisement