Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom connection speed

Options
  • 28-08-2009 7:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

Im with eircom and Im wondering am I getting the download speed Im paying for, that is when its even working in the first place lol.

Its a 3MB connection, here are the results I get from www.speedtest.net
    Download: 0.86Mb/s
    Upload: 0.10Mb/s
    Ping: 70ms

So are those figures fair enough for a 3MB connection?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

bSlick wrote: »
    Im with eircom and Im wondering am I getting the download speed Im paying for, that is when its even working in the first place lol.

Its a 3MB connection, here are the results I get from www.speedtest.net
    Download: 0.86Mb/s
    Upload: 0.10Mb/s
    Ping: 70ms

So are those figures fair enough for a 3MB connection?

They're less than a third of what you're paying for. We'll need to see your linestats and the test without using wireless to judge better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

Where can I get my linestats? Those results are the same if I plug directly into the modem. Could the fact the modem would be a few years old be hurting my speeds at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Looks like a 1Mbit connection to me but the only way to tell what Your line is syncing at is to login to Your router on 192.168.1.254 and click Expert mode-->Statistics-->Dsl, paste the results here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Where can I get my linestats? Those results are the same if I plug directly into the modem. Could the fact the modem would be a few years old be hurting my speeds at all?

Assuming it's a Netopia variant try this.

http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/technotes/CIR_011.html

It's a standard eircom netopia router/modem. I can't log into it for some reason. It has never let me log in over wireless but now for some reason it won't let me log in even with a cable. Just getting a connection refused screen in firefox. Firewall is turned off. This is some pain in the hole.

• Advertisement

Well the wireless was working there for the last 20 mins and has just cut out. I've plugged directly into the modem and I can still browse the net. So it looks like there is an issue with it transmitting wirelessly as Ive also checked another laptop here and the wireless went down at the same time. Would some kind of new/additional wireless router help with boosting the signal, and/or keep transmitting a signal at all times as opposed to this p.o.s. which keeps going down every half an hour?

Well the wireless was working there for the last 20 mins and has just cut out. I've plugged directly into the modem and I can still browse the net. So it looks like there is an issue with it transmitting wirelessly as Ive also checked another laptop here and the wireless went down at the same time. Would some kind of new/additional wireless router help with boosting the signal, and/or keep transmitting a signal at all times as opposed to this p.o.s. which keeps going down every half an hour?

Eircom routers are all on the default channel of 7, you may be getting interference from other routers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Open command prompt and Your gateway from the output of "ipconfig /all" will be the Netopia ip

Advertisement