Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paying for cordial

Options
  • 28-08-2009 8:08am

what pubs are charging and what ones arn't? it's gettin very annoying that pubs are charging over a euro for a dash of mi wadi in tap water..

when i'm drivin midweek, i don't think it's fair that designated driver has to pay 1.20 in kings head or 1.30 in richardsons for something i'm used to getting for free my whole life. 50c for it used to feel like a rip off but 1.30?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It does seem expensive, maybe more so than whatever they charge for a bottle of Lucozade you can buy for 1 euro in a shop.
    However, in a pub [and indeed a restaurant/takeaway/chipper] you are not just paying for the cost of what you consume. Youre also paying for the pub's staff costs [barpersons,bouncers,cleaners],insurance, business rates, advertising,profit, ....

Try bringing in a small bottle for your own dashes of what you fancy, and just ask for tap water from the bar; I can't see many charging for that (it may even be illegal ?)
    T***o do double concentrate fruit squashes, so you need a tiny bottle....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The pubs are not only charging for product, included are other costs as rent, staff etc.
    In essence, they charge you to be there. Most will kick you out for not drinking/ eating/ spending money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tribesman29

In fairness, the pubs should realise that without these designated drivers, especially during the week, the groups they are with would probably not be in the pub spending money on the products that make them most money.
    Anything over 50c for a cordial is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

In fairness, the pubs should realise that without these designated drivers, especially during the week, the groups they are with would probably not be in the pub spending money on the products that make them most money.

Damn fine point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Damn fine point!

Use to work in a few pubs around town, never charged more than 30c for a pint of mi-wadi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

I can tell you the skhef charge notting for a pint of mi-wadi

You know if you have a hip flask make use of it when your not drinking

fill it with mi-wadi from the bottle before you go out,
    and then just order a pint of tap water and throw in a dash of mi-wadi from your flask:)

Even though it makes you look like a right tight bastard spiking your own drink with mi-wadi,:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I dont mind paying for cordial but as other posters have said anything over 50c is just ridiculous considering for 1.20 you could almost buy a whole bottle of cordial!

Down with this sort of thing! :D

Cheaper Cordial for all I say!!

well i know myself that when i pick the lads up to head into town, i won't be heading to a pub where i have to pay 1.20 for mi wadi. simple as that.

they're complete idiots for driving people away for the sake of an extra 70c. i'd be happy to spend 50c but last night i had to break a 20euro note for mi wadi cause the euro in my pocket wasn't enough.

just remembered the cellar are the same now aswell.. i'll be suggestin to the lads that we head to skeff anymore when there's any of us not drinkin alcohol. vote with your feet and all that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I don't mind paying up to a euro and I've been to a couple of places where they've charged me that initially and then seen that as I'm the driver, the rest are only going to stay there drinking as long as I'm in good form. Subsequent rounds, the blackcurrant was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Are you kept warm in these pubs? Are you entertained with live music or a dj? €1 for a Mi Wadi isnt bad in all fairness (and if you are a designated driver shouldnt your friends be paying for your mi wadis anyways??)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

was in the roisin during the week and they didnt charge for a dash of blackcurrant in water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

you want stuff for free just because you're driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

DRakE wrote: »

No! Not free, no one really expects that. It's just the belief that you shouldn't be shafted for something which is basically tap water (which is free anyway) and a wee squirt of mi wadi/kia ora/whatever your sugary poison may be.

50c is a fair price. People, regardless of whether they're driving or not, shouldn't have to break a note for something that costs the pub píss all to serve.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

monroes dont charge me, well maybe she likes me, soembody else test it. :p

wouldn't be the first time

and no, i don't think i deserve stuff for free. but i don't think i should pay 1.20 or 1.30 either so i'll head to pubs that don't charge. we went to waterfront today for united match because it doesn't charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If your being there enables four of your mates to be there too, then it's reasonable for the publican to make a concession.

Maybe not free on every soft-drink, but certainly some should be very cheap.

I've often wondered why pubs here don't use post-mix dispensers for soft-drinks like they do in other countries. Done this way, the cost of a glass of Coke, Sprite etc is minimal. Done the Irish way, you waste a whole lot of glass/plastic, and make the cost huge because of all the stock management involved.

I can understand the individual bottles for wine, 'cos the Irish aren't generally big wine drinkers and open bottles would go off before being finished. But soft drinks are used in bulk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Those soft drink syrups are mank tho, and they never make them up properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A properly installed and maintained post-mix system will deliver coke, sprite etc just as good as you will get from a bottle. Provided they use the official coke, sprite etc syrup, not a cheaper off-alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I was once charged €2.50 for a blackcurrent in a pub on Camden Street in Dublin.

Anything over a euro is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

monroes dont charge me, well maybe she likes me, soembody else test it. :p

Monroes don't charge me either. But he could have liked me. . .

I can't tell if cordial is free in most places. I'll wait at the bar for a few seconds, then leave if I'm not asked for cash.

I could be robbing everywhere and not know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nuggles wrote: »
    Monroes don't charge me either. But he could have liked me. . .
    Impossible, must be free so :p

Actually what he did was put a dash of lime in it, when I wanted a slice of lime.

Clearly he hated me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Another way to look at it from the pub point of view.

Pint of guinness - cost = 1.60 + vat = 1.95 (average cost to pubs)
    Retail price = €4.00 including vat.

Gross profit 2.05 per pint including VAT

To make same gross profit on customer taking up a seat, availing of facilities and drinking tap water, the cost of a pint of tap water would need to be €2.

So any place charging under €2 for pint miwadi is doing you a favour.

BTW - coke bought in a newsagent is coke cordial + gas + water as is fanta etc. I don't see you asking newsagent to charge 30c for this??

Sure why would you ask a newsagent to charge you for anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Bar No 8 doesn't charge
    BierHaus doesn't charge
    Monroe's doesn't charge
    Fagan's doesn't charge
    Skeff doesn't charge
    I don't think O'Connell's charges

...actually I don't think I've ever been charged for squash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

If you look like you won't/don't expect to pay, you'll be charged. Offer to pay and you won't. :pac:

Seriously I'd never charge someone for that bar there's not a big group and that's all they're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Shanley wrote: »
    Are you kept warm in these pubs? Are you entertained with live music or a dj? €1 for a Mi Wadi isnt bad in all fairness (and if you are a designated driver shouldnt your friends be paying for your mi wadis anyways??)

They should knock money off all our pints based on some of the live music/dj's around town...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

They should knock money off all our pints based on some of the live music/dj's around town...

:pac:

Simple solution ... pint mi-wadi = 30 cent
    no-one can complain about that, customers or publicans

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Honestly I'd much rather a low level mix CD playing so that I can have a chat with the friends that I like so much that I've gone out with them rather than having to yell over top of Galway Girl for the fifty seventh time.

**** that song, anyway.

• Advertisement

I would very very rarely be in a pub and not drinking but it still annoys me how pubs in town charge for a dash of black current through water or as a mixer when the pubs out the country and in towns like Ballinrobe have big bottles of 7up and mi-wadi left by the bar to use as mixers/dash through water for free.

Advertisement