Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paying for cordial

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

lol, I remember that. Got into a major argument with a customer before over that. The owner had stuck a poster for that up behind the bar, without telling any of the staff, so we thought we were being had and weren't having any of it.

Only when the customer had walked off in a huff and dragged her group out did we see the damn poster peeking out from behind the glasses.

As for the price of cordial, it's high because it's easy money, all pubs get cordial for free. Although most staff where I've worked wouldn't be bothered charging for cordial if it were part of a round, much to the managers annoyance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

when i worked in CPs we were supposed to charge for dashes, 60c.. i only generally charged if i didnt like the look of whoever asked :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

wouldn't be the first time

we went to waterfront today for united match because it doesn't charge.

It'd have to be better than free to make me sit through a united match (I'm guessing you don't mean your local club)

1) Don't go where you feel you're being overcharged
    2) Let the drinkers take care of your bill
    3) You'll find the water is not free to the pub
    4) Staff and insurance, heat and light, are not free
    5) Don't go where you feel you're being overcharged

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Xiney wrote: »
    Honestly I'd much rather a low level mix CD playing so that I can have a chat with the friends that I like so much that I've gone out with them rather than having to yell over top of Galway Girl for the fifty seventh time.

**** that song, anyway.

Ahh, that may be why people from your culture go to the pub. But 'tis not why many Irish people go there. Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If I only wanted to get blind drunk I'd do it at home on the cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

OP, I hold no brief for the vintners industry but presumably publicans have staff, insurance, heating, rates costs to cover, which have to be met somehow. If one in four drinkers is a designated driver (sounds unlikely but let's say we're in a rural pub), it doesn't really seem reasonable to write off 25pc of the pub's potential revenue for a night. And e1.50 is still cheap compared to the price of a pint.
    Having said that, if you're ponying up for large round of drinks after large, and you're still being charged e1.50 for a pint of tap water and a dash, that strikes me as kinda mean. Inconsistent? Moi? Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭yayaitsme

richardsons barmen are a bit nuts anyway.

i'm not really buying into this thing that pubs have overheads so cordial should pay for it.
    it's tap water and cordial which someone else pointed out they get for free. people including myself might blow 50 quid drinking in a night.. that's paying for overheads, not my 1.20 for tap water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

all pubs get cordial for free

Never saw this myself. Admittedly it's been three or so years since I took in stock, did the dockets etc. Cordial was **** all price wise but free?

The general thing is, if a barman is in anyway experienced and reasonable, you won't get charged. We were alway told to charge for it where I worked, but I rarely did.

It seems though that new places, with new staff are a bit dry about it, Kellys are charging a euro for it for example.

It's something that it would make more sense to give out for free, as it would be an easy way to build up some goodwill. I feel more comfortable in a pub where the staff seem sound, and as a result will return. Obviously this would be on a 'ah now, don't take the piss' basis.

"10 pints of blackcurrant please"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

"10 pints of blackcurrant please"

Aye: I've have seen a group of tourists ask for five. They weren't taking the P***, and did expect to be charged for it. Just didn't think much of the other drinks available!

Advertisement