Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with film...

• 28-08-2009 8:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭

for those that are slightly more expert at developing film than me.

I developed 2 rolls of 120mm last night , they were both the same ISO, and taken on the trip to Charleville. The first roll of film came out perfect. The second roll come out looking a little on the milky side. I thought back on the processes and could I have done something slightly differently in the developing and I couldn't come up with anything.

The only think I could think of that maybe the second roll may have been slightly "frozzen" when I took it outta of the fridge (it had been stuck to the back of the fridge, pre-shooting with it)

Could this be the explaination for it's Milky-ness?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

maybe there was a slight chemical contamination considering it was your second roll? As a precaution I tend to make fresh developer for every process. I know this is wasteful and expensive but for me it helps to enure consitent results. The only time rolls haven't turned out for me is when I have been lazy regarding chemicals (not making fresh if they've been been sitting there for a little while). I wouldn't be able to say if the film being slightly frozen would have affected it that much.
    It could have been down to a suspect roll of film? Hopefully you'll still be able to get some images from the roll. There is no worse feeling than the excitement of seeing whats on a roll of film and for it to not turn out well :(
    I did some rolls last night for other people and I was so afraid they wouldn't turn out. Luckily they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

well I always use fresh developer but the fixer has been recycled a good bit and is still for another while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Just did a small amount of googling here which I'd guess is something to do with the fixer?
    Hopefully they aren't too bad an you can still get some images from them using a higher grade filter.

oh and before some asks yes I did wash the tank between films...

may as well make up some fresh fix just to be on the safe side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

How many times did you re-use the fixer?

• Advertisement

10 possible 12 timess but there would be agop of maybe a month or two in the middle of that some place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

I think thats your problem. I only use fixer two or three times, then dump it and mix more. And thats when I use it just a day or two apart.

Re-fix your film and see if that clears it.

maybe you're right but I know people that use twice as many times as I used it and it's fine.

But I will try your suggestion about re-fixing it with new fixer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

thefizz wrote: »
    I think thats your problem. I only use fixer two or three times, then dump it and mix more. And thats when I use it just a day or two apart.

Re-fix your film and see if that clears it.

This advice is spot on, if you haven't cut up your film re-spool it and try fresh fixer on it.... I am more miserly than the fizz with my fixer and test it before each run, I also log how many times I use it. A simple peace of mind test is cut a 5 mm tail of some 35mm black and white and pour some of the fixer into an egg-cup and drop it in, swirl it around... if it doesn't go clear in 60 seconds .. either replenish or mix a fresh batch...

so I mixed fresh fix got some in a cut on my thumb it stung like hell... but I did re-fix the 'milky' set and it was fine.

Thanks everyone :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

trishw78 wrote: »

Could this be the explaination for it's Milky-ness?

You have set me thinking about why some of my photos were not what I expected when I sent them for processing in the past. It is possible that my use of Velvia film was adequate, but all the puzzling I did at the time could also have something to do with the way my film was developed?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055534399&page=3

From a scientific point of view, what causes a milky effect to form? Are microscopic specks of material built up in the processing liquid?

Advertisement