Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a (starter) guitar

Options
  • 28-08-2009 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all,

My boyfriend's looking to learn guitar -- acoustic, not electric -- and I want to get him one - but have no idea about what kind of price you should pay for a decent quality starter guitar. Doesn't need to be anything super fancy, but not something crappy either.

What do you reckon I'll end up spending, and any ideas where's best to get it in Dublin?
    Looks like I could pick up a guitar, strings, a bag, capo and picks in Waltons for €100 or so (which is about my budget) but I get the feeling someplace like Musicmaker might be better.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭J.Ball

Getting a guitar isnt really about the price or the brand names. I have a few acoustics one an epiphone which is considered a good make and another one is a volt (got this in lidl for cheap) and they both play as good as each other in my opinion.
    My advice would be to get a friend that knows a little about guitars to go along with you and test them out as you find one's you think you OH might like and for a price you can afford. If you dont know anybody that can play take a chance on one you like.

Music maker would be a good place to start i find them very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

If you could stretch your budget to £150, this is a decent acoustic:

http://www.xmusic.ie/product.php?productid=17529&cat=246&page=1

555-0076-784-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I haven't seen the guitar mentioned above, but in my experience decent beginner guitars tend to come in around €130 - €150. Musicmaker won't necessarily be better the Walton's, both are ok, but X Music would probably be better. For a beginner's guitar you're looking for something that will be reasonably easy to play, so it would really be an advantage to have someone with you who can play even a little bit.

Advertisement