Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with Daewoo Lanos - 5th gear

• 28-08-2009 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My sister's boyfriend's sister's Lanos has a problem with 5th gear.....

to quickly summarise....she bought the car new in '00, it now has 90,000 miles on it. I was servicing it for her last night and she asked me to check the gearbox.

What happens is that when you put it in 5th most of the time it comes back out as you leave your foot off the clutch.....and the clutch doesn't bite in any gear till I leave the pedal out 3 to 4 inches so I'm thinking the clutch is worn but its ok to get in all gears except 5th and you can see the gear stick come out of 5th as you realease the clutch pedal.

Am I right in saying worn clutch or could it be something else?

Comments

Does the clutch slip when driving ? A high bite doesn't account for the car popping out of 5th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

No it doesn't slip. Drives perfect in all gears only you've to hold it in 5th!

Easy to get in all gears too....just the high biting point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Sounds like the synchro is worn.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Sounds like the synchro is worn.

Thanks for the reply.....would this be expensive ti fix if it is this?

The reason I ask is she is a single parent with two kids going back to school so budget is tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Yeah, it requires the gearbox to be stripped. In fact it would probably be cheaper to get a box from a scrap yard. Purely off the top of my head you might pick one up for 150 and its about a days work to swap them and fit the new clutch which will also be about 100 euro. So total I'd say you're looking at something like 4-500.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that zuutroy!

Advertisement