Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Line on a budget

Options
  • 28-08-2009 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I am looking at changing my fly line and am a bit confused over the different types. I only really started fly fishing this year and feel the line I got with the rod is holding me back. I have a 7/8 Leeda fly rod and was wondering which is better for this type of rod, 7 or 8 WF floating line? Is there much difference between the 7 & 8 or does it really matter. I am also on a very low budget but have seen 2 lines that are within range, the Airflo Tru-cast or the Flextech Aeroloop, has anyone used these or can they recommend them?

I know the rod itself probably isn't the best and I will be looking at changing that at Xmas time (pressie time!) so for now I think the new line will make a small but noticable difference, especially in distance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Alot of it is down to cheap rods and line, most standard trout rods are 7-8.
    leeda and shakespere arent known for great quality fly gear, its mostly entry level stuff, I use a tapered line rather than a wieght forward(floating).

The best advice i can give anyone is "you buy cheap, you buy twice" so save up and get a good rod and line, it makes ALOT of difference.
    I spent over 300 on a Sage flyrod but that comes with a lifetime warrenty so how many cheap rods will you break and have to buy a new one considering a cheap fly rod is 80-100 euro

as for your question, Airflow make good quality fly lines

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

+1 to what was said above.

Also get onto the internet if you haven't already. I have gotten great deals for buying flies and most of the fishing buddies have gotten everything from rods to float tubes online. If you haven't factored that into your budget you might be able to afford a more expensive line than you think.

Oh, and as for your comment about distance, an old fly angler once told me, in between smoking his pipe...."there's no point in casting to the opposite bank if the fish are at your feet" :D

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Without trying the rod I can't say whether a 7 or 8 wt line is better, but either will probably be fine. If in doubt I usually go for the heavier line if casting in the wind will be a common occurrence, if looking for better presentation then go lighter. Since you seem to be on a budget I'd go for a double taper line, if you damage one end of the line you can simply turn it around and it will do the same job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Regarding line size:
    If the rod rating is 7/8, then they intend you to use a DT7, but if you are using weight forward or shooting head line type the correct line is a WF8 or ST8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iascanmore

Alot of it is down to cheap rods and line, Airflow make good quality fly lines

Airflop floaters are the very, very worst lines on the planet. Simple as.

Their DI sinkers get are apparently ok.

OP - If you want a very good line, browse over to http://www.flyforums.co.uk/index.php. Go Trade Classified section and seek out a thread titled along the lines of "Pirates Fly Line Bonanza". These are great lines I've used them almost exclusively for 2 or 3 years now. Floaters, Sink tips, DTs, WTs. Stewart is grand to deal with and will include braided loops, superglue etc for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

iascanmore wrote: »
    Airflop floaters are the very, very worst lines on the planet. Simple as.

There are alot worse out there, i had a few airflow lines over the years and had no problems, just not a fan of thier intermediate lines as they sink a bit too fast, it also depends on what type of fly fishing your doing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Just so beginers reading ths can know what we are talking about:
    In fly fishing, the line is most important.
    To use a cheaper fly line retards the cast in exactly the same way as for instance riding a bike with the brakes on, or trying to cast a bait with a spinning rod with insufficient lead weight, or maybe driving a golf ball but using a club with a rubber shaft! It is that important folks!
    I will not use a line "below" the standard that Scientific Anglers produce, and in particular if it is floating line I impose a personal limit not to go below the top Scientific Anglers lines, or the mid range Cortland 4xx series lines.
    Now this is not me being elitist, nor is it me showing how much money I have. Instead, it is me wanting my flyline to flow out when I cast in such a way that the cast goes where I sent it, gets there, and I catch fish!
    A beginner will trash his first line into a damaged state in the first season. So it is not bright to purchase the top quality line just at that time. But the cheapest line will be enormously more difficult to cast.
    If I who can cast over 40 yards when required would rather not fish at all than struggle with cheap lines, what chance has a beginner got?
    Advice given to beginners may be well intentioned, but judging how good that advice is when you are starting up is not easy to do.
    If you are to boat fish only you can use cheaper lines because casting a distance is not required.
    If you are to fish from the lakeshore or riverbank, know that the line is as important as the rod, and you need all the help you can get, so don't handicap yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Thanks for the replies guys, this is extremely helpful for a novice like myself. I have gone for the Airflo WF8 and will let you know how I get on.

Hopefully I will have a better setup for next season with new rod, reel and line being purchased in March/April with a better budget so it will do for now with the season ending soon.

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 paulus837

Has anyone seen my rod ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

+1 on the pirates line fantastic. I also tried the Barrio line this year and "wow" this is a very impressive line that has made look twice at pirates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement