Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester Utd V Arsenal PL

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

So how the **** did Arsenal lose that game

The only winners of todays game is Chelsea, the league will be over by christmas if both teams play like that for the next few months.

And yes it was a dive, but dont let the english medja fool you otherwise.. I wonder will there be a thread started about it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Arsenal definately played the better football.
    But i'm not going to let rivalry influence how i think Utd won.
    They did what they normally do, anything within reason to win the game.
    If only we could do that and not get caught (Dudu), then we could challenge for the title.
    That said the only issues i had in the game were Eboue back to being a cheater without any talent, yes he can do it against Celtic but here he was jusrt amateurish giving the ball away constantly, not able to take a first time shot etc.
    On to the next one, this loss means nothing in the grand scheme with Pool & Utd losing already, just get Chelsea to lose one and it's A-ok.
    Well done Utd.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I think Arsenal were the better team. Giggs had a real jackle and hyde performance, 1st half awful, 2nd half exellent.

Evra was exellent. Darren Fletcher was monumental, other than that not too many standout performances.

How we didnt make it 3-1 at the end i have no idea.

Great game. Could have gone either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Unlucky for Arsenal, Diaby was awesome I thought apart from that appalling OG, impossible to knock off the ball and his mazy looking runs are a terrific asset to the team, will be a great player this season.

Fletcher was our best player AGAIN, excellent stuff, shout out to Rooney and Evra aswell, great games aswell.

Lucky win for us but hey who am I to complain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Exactly. They'll walk the league if that game was anything to go by.

To be honest Chelsea havent been tested yet,they have played 4 teams that will struggle to stay up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Headshot wrote: »
    Fletch was superb today I thought

man of the match for me anyway

Agreed, he was always going to be very importanat for united today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Villain wrote: »
    Chucky If you don't get to see the replay let me know and I'll try and locate it.

BTW I did say that Arshavin's should have been a peno too

Arshavin peno and Rooney not getting a red card, two decisions would of changed the game that as usually happens go in uniteds favour.

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Im guessing the chants were the ones he gets from the Spurs fans sometimes, not sure if im allowed post the chant but it goes like this; Wenger is a __ (word for liking children) because of the way he has lots of young players.

Disgusting.
    Fans letting the home side down again in that case.
    What about being dignified and winning.:mad:

Arshavin peno and Rooney not getting a red card, two decisions would of changed the game that as usually happens go in uniteds favour.

How do you figure the arshave peno had any bearing on the result, their goal came from the same attack, about 30 seconds later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

great hit by arshavin but keeper maybe should have done better
    stone wall peno on arshavin
    great save by foster
    stone waller on rooney aswell
    rooney took it well
    great ball from nani to berbatov
    very unlucky to be called offside for the last goal

that the game summed up for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

LOL those replays in HD show that it was a clear peno, anyone thats says otherwise needs to visit specsavers after watching that imo

Disgusting.
    Fans letting the home side down again in that case.
    What about being dignified and winning.:mad:

You know what i agree with you.

Never liked that chant in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

My god english media are so biased. Apparently rooney was looking for contact and a front man is in his right to go down.

Eduardo totally different situation....:rolleyes:

Gerrard has done it before (im a liverpool fan) and gets off with nothing bad said.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Miap

Glad that united got the win but the game just made it abundantly clear that we need some more talent brought in before tuesday!!!
    Want to see chelsea be tested in a game but from what i can see so far this season its gonna be very close come seaon end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

How in the hell would the Arshavin penalty incident changed the game? Seriously? No way would that have changed the game.

• Advertisement

Oh and the only clear cut peno in that match was the foul on Arshavin but because he scored soon after it will be forgotten.

Let it not be forgotten that this isnt the first time that rooney has gone down to "earn" a peno against the Arsenal, seems to be making a habit out of it

How in the hell would the Arshavin penalty incident changed the game? Seriously? No way would that have changed the game.

Van Persie would have scored the pen instead of Arshavin scoring.

Fantasy football wise its a HUGE decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Fletcher is hands down United's most important midfielder right now.

Not a particularly confidence-inspiring performance, but I'll take that win against an in-form Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

LOL those replays in HD show that it was a clear peno, anyone thats says otherwise needs to visit specsavers after watching that imo

*sigh*

I don't think anyone is debating the contact. HOWEVER, Rooney was already falling BEFORE the contact, making it simulation, i.e. a dive.

I'd have thought that was pretty obvious on your HD screen.

Do you honestly think that it shouldn't have been a peno and Rooney dived?

Yes!

• Advertisement

Jamie Rednapp "Eduardo had no contact, Rooney did but Uefa are treading a dangerous ground, Eboues' dive was way worse than Eduardo's and nothing will be said"

Good analysis.

Listening to that gob****e Andy Gray justifying Rooney winning the penalty.
    Rooney was at 30 degrees to the ground by the time Almunia made contact,definite dive.
    Rooney then gets man of the match.
    Absolute joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

joe123 wrote: »
    My god english media are so biased. Apparently rooney was looking for contact and a front man is in his right to go down.

Eduardo totally different situation....:rolleyes:

Gerrard has done it before (im a liverpool fan) and gets off with nothing bad said.
    If you honestly can't see the difference between Eduardo's and Rooney's penalty, then you should just sell your tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Arshavin peno and Rooney not getting a red card.

Arshavin peno yes, red card for Rooney? Will you come off it ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I got the result spot on :D

Arsenal were very good, and probably deserved something out of the game. I have to watch MOTD to decide on the penalty. United were average.

All I can really say is, if Fabregas was playing, maybe Arsenals lead would've been bigger. I think they missed his passing down the centre.

Listening to that gob****e Andy Gray justifying Rooney winning the penalty.
    Rooney was at 30 degrees to the ground by the time Almunia made contact,definite dive.
    Rooney then gets man of the match.
    Absolute joke.

But he is the english golden boy what do you expect. It would be funny if it werent so true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Boards.ie Soccer logic.

If the team who has won the last 3 league titles in a row, beats a top 4 opponent playing below par than they are normally able to do, it means the team who finished 3rd last season will have the league won by christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I give up some people just hate Utd and will never see the peno incident without bias imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

eddiehead wrote: »
    Arshavin peno yes, red card for Rooney? Will you come off it ffs

lol, the ball is 5 yards away from Rooney and he has no chance of getting it and he just kicked the player right in the leg with no chance of getting the ball.

If you honestly can't see the difference between Eduardo's and Rooney's penalty, then you should just sell your tv.

Erm what? When did I say I cant see the difference? The similarity however is rooney was already on his way down before contact was made.

Maybe you should sell yours no?

• Advertisement

As a Chelsea fan and FF player I'm just happy that both teams were muck and niether kept a clean sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

LOL, the replays make it even worse. The contact is made when Rooney is almost on his belly.

And Sky are really laughable in their analysis of the Rooney incident and the Eduardo one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

jank wrote: »
    But he is the english golden boy what do you expect. It would be funny if it werent so true.

Bitter...Bitter....Bitter.

joe123 wrote: »
    Erm what? When did I say I cant see the difference? The similarity however is rooney was already on his way down before contact was made.

Maybe you should sell yours no?

Yes it was almost the exact same as Eduardo's but you can't expect Eduardo to get off scott free when he made a big testicle of it.
    I understand it will make Arsenal fans sore, it does me too, but you can't expect the FA to immediatley be watching Arsenal to make sure no one cheats against them because we got caught.
    If Almunia had been as clever as Boruc then we could definately call Rooney a cheater in that case.

lol, the ball is 5 yards away from Rooney and he has no chance of getting it and he just kicked the player right in the leg with no chance of getting the ball.

Wait, sorry, thought you were referring to the dive.
    What was that now? Kicking players in the leg? I was walking in an out of the room so I obviously missed something.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Boards.ie Soccer logic.

If the team who has won the last 3 league titles in a row, beats a top 4 opponent playing below par than they are normally able to do, it means the team who finished 3rd last season will have the league won by christmas.

I think the fact they have lost two quality players in ronaldo and Tevez and that Chelsea are playing great stuff with Drogba/Ballack/Deco all back on form is probably a large part to do with chelsea being favourites and not this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Lots and lots of sour grapes in this thread :p

Giggsy came in for some deserved critism at half thime. He wasn't great first half but upped his game in the second and played an infuental part in the win. Some of uniteds passing was sloppy today, they will need to improve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

curry-muff wrote: »
    Can I Be A Sour Lemon? :P
    Tryna Look On The Bright Side Of Things :o.

• Advertisement

Raul doing it too in Real's game.
    This diving malarky is catching on eh?

Eduardo has started a trend.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

monkey9 wrote: »
    LOL, the replays make it even worse. The contact is made when Rooney is almost on his belly.

And Sky are really laughable in their analysis of the Rooney incident and the Eduardo one.

Havent seen the incident yet....HOWEVER and this is a big HOWEVER and it is something I mentioned in the two threads this week on the Eduardo incident.
    Even if Rooney dived and it is a blatant as day, the same rules which applies to the CL and internationals (UEFA governed competitions) may not apply to the PL and national leagues. I don't really know to be honest.

From what I have seen so far, Arsenal deserved to get something from the game. I am surprised United won this won as I had them written off for this game.

Arsene Wenger is copping on.
    When asked was it a penalty for Arsenal he said "i don't know, ask the referee."

Glad he is thinking before speaking.

Although the fourth official is a total spanner, kicking an empty water bottle along the sideline at 96 mins after a disallowed goal and getting sent to the stands.
    Cop on.

Raul doing it too in Real's game.
    This diving malarky is catching on eh?

Eduardo has started a trend.:D

Yip a 6.0 to Raul for his acrobatics,looked like he was shot in the back the way he leapt up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

It was like comedy central in the last 5 minutes starring Berba and Wenger with a sprinkling of Nani.

kippy wrote: »
    I am surprised United won this won as I had them written off for this game.

Anyone that writes united off in the league is deluding themselves, after all they have been the champions for the past three years. United created good chances first half and missed a hatful of chances near the end of the game, it could easily have been 4 or 5. Foster made one outstanding save and a couple of bread and butter ones. I fully expect United to win today, I think the city game will be harder to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

curry-muff wrote: »

Well when you lose to a dodgy peno and dumb og, while playing better football than the opposition I think you have a right to be ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I'm surprised at the lack of criticism for Almunia commiting himself to a tackle that he had no need to make for the peno. He shouldn't have given the ref a decision to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Well when you lose to a dodgy peno and dumb og, while playing better football than the opposition I think you have a right to be ;)
    Very Well Said Mate :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the lack of criticism for Almunia commiting himself to a tackle that he had no need to make for the peno. He shouldn't have given the ref a decision to make.

Cause that would mean people can't moan at Man Utd for the sake of moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

both were penaltys people saying rooney dived etc are deluded clear penalty Alumnia was crazy to come out like that took the legs from rooney 100% thought arshavins was a penalty too but didnt get it ah well guess when your team is getting scrutinized for diving these things happen. unlucky for arse thought they played well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement