Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester Utd V Arsenal PL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Don't suppose you recorded peno from a different angle?

Gimme ten minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Nice shot of what Wenger got sent off for. Disgaceful decision by the officials imo. Good technique and follow through though.

wengerboot.jpg

Very little back lift too, fantastic technique.

Have to say I lolled at him when he went up behind the dugout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Meh to the "it's a clear penalty" / "it's a clear dive" debate.

Aside from the details of the incident and referee's decision, it is crystal clear that his instinct was to go to ground as soon as the ball got away from him. It is that instinct that requires FIFA / UEFA / the individual associations to really get stuck in on this issue. Rooney's instinct should be to stay on his feet and maintain focus on the ball. Instead, his psyche is 'keeper coming, win penalty'. And that is ****ing bull****.

If you take the view that to invite a foul in the penalty box is poor sportsmanship then you also have to take the view that to do it elsewhere on the pitch is also poor sportsmanship.

Many times we see players, usually when their team is under a lot of pressure, inviting a challenge and winning their team a free kick in order to ease the pressure. Is that wrong? I don't think so.

In my opinion there's nothing wrong with Rooney or any player asking an opposition player a question and inviting a tackle. Almunia's mindset is the one that mattered and his one should have been like Boruc against Arsenal - withdraw my arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Manchester+United+v+Arsenal.jpeg

Headshot wrote: »

That image would be great for a caption competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

The penalty from 3 different angles.

dvsjdw.gif

okx69u.gif

f441e1.gif

is that a broadway musical? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

See, clear penalty. Regardless of the angle of Rooney's body to the ground, it was always going to be a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Only in from work so haven't see any highlights yet.

But in those clips above, particularly the second and third ones it looks like Rooney's on his way down before any contact is made no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The penalty from 3 different angles.

dvsjdw.gif

okx69u.gif

f441e1.gif

Yep, yap. He has already begun to fall before Almunia makes contact. Ergo, he dived.

• Advertisement

Yep, yap. He has already begun to fall before Almunia makes contact. Ergo, he dived.

Is it ok to start a Rooney 'the cheat' thread lloyd?

Is he not stretching to make contact with the ball before almunia? If he were on the way down he couldn't have kicked the ball imo. Either way the keeper makes no contact with the ball and takes rooney out of it.

If it were not united that decision would not be called into question.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Is he not stretching to make contact with the ball before almunia? If he were on the way down he couldn't have kicked the ball imo.

After he kicks the ball and it is gone, he throws his weight forward. And that flop forward begins before Almunia gets there. The best angle is the first one of the three posted above.

Something needs to be done about the rules for a penalty in Rooneys situation.He knew he was never going to score so he just boots the ball towards the line and follows through knowing the keeper would catch him.

In the rules its a peno but it shouldnt be.Had the keeper not touched him the ball was going dead anyway,absolute joke.

The way I see it is that, yes, Almunia clattered him, but that's after he's on his way down.

So it's a dive.

However just like the game in midweek the referee shouldn;t have given a penalty as neither Eduardo nor Rooney were ever going to be able to catch the ball they had put too far ahead of them...

Frisbee wrote: »
    Is it ok to start a Rooney 'the cheat' thread lloyd?

You can if you post the above footage in the original post and call it "should Rooney also face a two match ban"...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Is he not stretching to make contact with the ball before almunia? If he were on the way down he couldn't have kicked the ball imo.

unfortunately too many people on this board sit behind a computer rather than play football to understand that. Your just talking too much sense.
    its clear for anyone to see thats a clear penalty the keeper took him out this whole debate is farcical me thinks there are some on here just stiring and winding... oh well nothing new there then.

the way i see it is

Rooney knew the the challenge was coming and didnt want to get injured so he road the challenge

You can if you post the above footage in the original post and call it "should Rooney also face a two match ban"...

I'm not going to bother.

It will just descend into a UEFA vs. FA debate. I'll just wait for his first dive of this year's Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

well no I don't think so. The second one you can't see his left leg which is where the contact was first and thus looks like he's already falling at the point when his right leg gets caught. In the third one his left leg gets caught and starts to trip him and when his right leg gets caught it looks like he's already gone-ergo, no dive ;)

• Advertisement

If it were not united that decision would not be called into question.

Rubbish. If it were any of the top four / Man City / Spurs in a crucial game against any of the other teams in that group it would be discussed here.

Trizo wrote: »
    unfortunately too many people on this board sit behind a computer rather than play football to understand that. Your just talking too much sense.
    its clear for anyone to see thats a clear penalty the keeper took him out this whole debate is farcical me thinks there are some on here just stiring and winding... oh well nothing new there then.

I've played football before Sir. Young Frisbee plays a bit of sport too. I think it's a dive. He thinks it's a dive. What do you say to that?

It is easier to label our opinions irrelevant because we "sit behind a computer" though. For sure.

the way i see it is

Rooney knew the the challenge was coming and didnt want to get injured so he road the challenge did an Eduardo

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Don't forget the "should Eboue also face a two match ban" thread. No need for all the angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Did you see the whole game or just the highlights? Giggs was certainly not a passenger in the second half and Fletcher did a hell of a lot more than alright.

As for our £30 million striker what was he up to when Nani put him clean through with the pass of the game?

Of course I saw the whole game, I wouldn't be commenting on it if i hadn't.

So Giggs was more than a passenger and Fletcher was better than alright? Well then where the fook did they go in the last half hour when we needed to get a hold of the ball? We were barely able to string 5 passes together in that period and just kept inviting Arsenal onto us.

And so Berbatov fluffed one shot .. yeah you're right, that proves he shouldn't start for us..

The way I see it is that, yes, Almunia clattered him, .

End of debate TBH.

I've played football before Sir. I think it's a dive. What do you say to that?

i say your wrong but personally i dont care it was given and converted game over .....

End of debate TBH.

How mature of you. How about you respond like an adult to my post instead of quoting me out of context to try and make your point?

i say your wrong but personally i dont care it was given and converted game over .....

I am aware that the penalty was given and Utd won. Nevertheless we are allowed to talk about it, to analyze it, debate and discuss it after the fact and imagine the 'what ifs?'.

• Advertisement

Watching the highlights on BBC now. lol at the Arshavin penalty not being awarded. Whether it be relevant or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

The fact is, we wouldn't be scrutinizing over this penalty decision if it wasn't for Eduardo's shocker during the week, you arsenal fans cant have it both ways.

Pro. F wrote: »

So Giggs was more than a passenger and Fletcher was better than alright? Well then where the fook did they go in the last half hour when we needed to get a hold of the ball? We were barely able to string 5 passes together in that period and just kept inviting Arsenal onto us.

And so Berbatov fluffed one shot .. yeah you're right, that proves he shouldn't start for us..

For me the 2 1 win vindicates the manager selection, If you saw the whole coverage of the game you would have see the manager interviewed pre kick off where he explained his team selection. His reason for his selection made perfect sense to me.

If you're happy with your analysis of giggs and flecher thats fine by me, I just think your wrong on both counts.

Watching the highlights on BBC now. lol at the Arshavin penalty not being awarded. Whether it be relevant or not...

Was just about to say that.

Also from MoTD it's clear to see Rooney is on his way down before any contact is made.

Even the commentator said it ffs

fyp
    How mature of you. How about you respond like an adult to my post instead of quoting me out of context to try and make your point?

maybe you should practise what you preach

that
    Rooney knew the the challenge was coming and didnt want to get injured so he road the challenge did an Eduardo

is the biggest load of ****e iv ever read,Eduardo wasnt touched unless the wind blew him over,it was a blatant dive

from your own words

The way I see it is that, yes, Almunia clattered him,

your being bloody bitter

maybe you should practise what you preach

that

is the biggest load of ****e iv ever read,Eduardo wasnt touched unless the wind blew him over,it was a blatant dive

from your own words

The way I see it is that, yes, Almunia clattered him,

your being bloody bitter
    wow, I was in the process of making a post just like that but decided against it

• Advertisement

your being bloody bitter

Yes Eduardo went over with no contact.

Rooney was going over with no contact and contact was made when he was on his way down.

Both began their dive before they were touched.

Fair enough if the ref wants to give a peno, but surely Rooney should be charged for diving now

I am aware that the penalty was given and Utd won. Nevertheless we are allowed to talk about it, to analyze it, debate and discuss it after the fact and imagine the 'what ifs?'.

very true but i think people comparing rooney and eduardo incidents is just crazy.

with rooneys he was stretching for the ball which he touched past almunia was going away from him but still doesnt discount the fact that the keeper completely took the legs from him the rules are there clearly a penalty i would like to see rooney spin 360 on the ground on his belly without contact from almunia the guy should be in the break squad if he could do that :p

with eduardo there was no contact with the keeper what so ever none and eduardo collapsed in a heap.completely different incidents.

the only thing arsenal were unlucky with was their own penalty decision fletcher got the ball but after he had gone through the man and thats a penalty too...

messing at the end with the officials was a farce,nonsense for the sake of it.

Also how hilarious is it the United fans shouting 'Cheat' at Eduardo when they've had Ronaldo in the team the last few years?

your being bloody bitter

He has a right to be aggrieved over the result of the game. Just as Celtic fans had a right to feel hard done by on Wednesday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Pro. F wrote: »

I agree about Giggs. I thought he was terrible in the first half and not much better in the 2nd. United made some good breaks and he messed everyone of them up. He made some good contribution for the two goals but united may well have had a lead in the first half if he used the ball better. He reminded me of Luis Garcia when he was with Liverpool, gave the ball away most of the time but managed to be involved in goals that win the game.

I would be less critical of Fletcher, he works hard in defence and his play is limited to that. He doesn't always use the ball well but thats excusable as his role is about tackles and covering runs. Carrick and Giggs are the ones supposed to move the ball around.

• Advertisement

Was just about to say that.

Also from MoTD it's clear to see Rooney is on his way down before any contact is made.

Even the commentator said it ffs

Are you serious? Look at the incident again, look at Rooney's right leg (left side of video). Almunia makes contact with it and Rooney starts to go over. This makes it look like Rooney is going over before Almunia makes contact with his other leg.

very true but i think people comparing rooney and eduardo incidents is just crazy.

with rooneys he was stretching for the ball which he touched past almunia was going away from him but still doesnt discount the fact that the keeper completely took the legs from him the rules are there clearly a penalty i would like to see rooney spin 360 on the ground on his belly without contact from almunia the guy should be in the break squad if he could do that :p

with eduardo there was no contact with the keeper what so ever none and eduardo collapsed in a heap.completely different incidents.

the only thing arsenal were unlucky with was their own penalty decision fletcher got the ball but after he had gone through the man and thats a penalty too...

messing at the end with the officials was a farce,nonsense for the sake of it.

"BUT THERE WAS CONTACT, THERE WAS CONTACT!!"

Ya, I know. No, it doesn't matter. The mentalities are the same is the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

He has a right to be aggrieved over the result of the game. Just as Celtic fans had a right to feel hard done by on Wednesday.

How many times do we need to point out nobody touched Eduardo, Almunia brought Rooney down whether or not he was going down already. Still a penalty.

Sorry but whats there to debate? You admitted the keeper clattered rooney any buts or excuses after that are irrelevent.

Yes Eduardo went over with no contact.

Rooney was going over with no contact and contact was made when he was on his way down.

Both began their dive before they were touched.

Fair enough if the ref wants to give a peno, but surely Rooney should be charged for diving now

Im trying to stay away from this thread but **** it Frisbee I hate seeing ****e written

Rooney if he kept going was going to tackled by the keeper anyway,as iv said Rooney knew the challenge was coming and road the challenge to prevent injury

if Rooney went down to fast or not the goalie was still going to clatter him anyway

Sorry but whats there to debate? You admitted the keeper clattered rooney any buts or excuses after that are irrelevent.

The keeper clattered Rooney after Rooney had begun to dive

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thecross1

Arshavin should have been awarded the penalty he was taking out of it

"BUT THERE WAS CONTACT, THERE WAS CONTACT!!"

Ya, I know. No, it doesn't matter. The mentalities are the same is the point.

so contact in the box doesn't constitute a peno

Note on MoTD a former Arsenal player saying STONEWALL PENALTY!

if Rooney went down to fast or not the goalie was still going to clatter him anyway

If he knew he was going to be clattered he should have taken the challenge.

You can clearly see Rooney's left toe starting to drag before any contact is made

If he knew he was going to be clattered he should have taken the challenge.

You can clearly see Rooney's left toe starting to drag before any contact is made

so let me get this straight

from now one you want players to get possibly injured ?

alot of skillful players ride the tackles,to prevent injury.

answer this for me

what the difference between Rooney going down to fast and staying up wasn't it going to be a peno either way ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement