Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester Utd V Arsenal PL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Frisbee wrote: »
    Eboue's behaviour was absolutely disgraceful and he deserved a yellow for that, 100%.

As for Arshavin he isn't going down before Fletcher hits him.
    Fletcher himself even admitted on MoTD that he isn't sure that it wasn't a penalty.

Still,do you expect Arshavin to hurdle him or take the challenge and hope for the penalty.Would you expect any player to deny themselves a chance at a penalty and lose the ball in the process?

Because Eboue was caught,he gets a yellow,but since Eduardo wasn't and as you insist Rooney,why should he not get similar punishments to them, if they were given 2 game bans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

titan18 wrote: »
    Because Eboue was caught,he gets a yellow,but since Eduardo wasn't and as you insist Rooney,why should he not get similar punishments to them, if they were given 2 game bans.

If Eduardo and Rooney were to be given two game bans and the FA chose to ban Eboue also I'd be one of the first to applaud them for finally taking concise action on the condition that they continue to do it for every case that arises.

As for the Arshavin thing, has anyone got a link to that, I only saw what they showed on MoTD, I'd need to see it again before making a definitive statement on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

What possible reason could the FA give to justify banning Rooney? He was caught in the box and got a penalty ffs even Wenger wont whinge about it, give it a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Wenger quite clearly just didn't wanna say anything cause if he voiced his opinions he'd have been in trouble.

IMO there was no difference between Rooneys actions today & Eduardos during the week. Both players dived anticipating contact from the goalies. The contact Rooney desired arrived when he was 3/4 way to the floor. It was a dive but he was lucky cause Almunia gave him a little bit of contact after he dived which meant people can come up with nonsense excuses (as they have done on this thread).

Fletcher was brilliant most of today. Rooney was practically embarrased getting the MOTM award ahead of him.

Good to see Arsenal drop points today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

HE DIVED!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

To be honest id love to see them clamp down on diving myself, but realistically its not gona happen there would be too much nit picking on the concept of diving, i honestly dont think that rooneys should be counted as a dive, if that was the case nobody would be allowed to brace before impact and there would be far too many debatable decisions, not till video reffing comes in could this be done, can only imagine the amount of times players lose balance or stumble and wrongly get carded or sent off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Wenger quite clearly just didn't wanna say anything cause if he voiced his opinions he'd have been in trouble.

IMO there was no difference between Rooneys actions today & Eduardos during the week. Both players dived anticipating contact from the goalies. The contact Rooney desired arrived when he was 3/4 way to the floor. It was a dive but he was lucky cause Almunia gave him a little bit of contact after he dived which meant people can come up with nonsense excuses (as they have done on this thread).

Fletcher was brilliant most of today. Rooney was practically embarrased getting the MOTM award ahead of him.

Good to see Arsenal drop points today.
    The difference being, Rooney's ''dive'' is subjective. Some people say he did, some say he didn't, fact of the matter is no one will ever know because Almunia fouled him and the IS a penalty.

Some will think Torres dived today, but he didn't claim for a penalty, should he be banned for 2 matches? No, of course not.

If Rooney wasn't touched no one knows if he would have claimed for a penalty or just got up and carried on with the game. Where as Eduardo CLEARLY dived specifically to get a penalty with absolutely zero contact from the keeper.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Nonsense? I find the statements rooney dived and was 3/4 of the way to the floor before contact to be nonsense.

He stretched for the ball, almunia came across his standing foot making it impossible to keep his balance based on the position his feet were in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

The thing I wonder about for the penalty is, if he had stayed up (if possible) would he have gotten to the ball? I highly doubt it.

Its always going to be given though, especially from where the ref was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Nonsense? I find the statements rooney dived and was 3/4 of the way to the floor before contact to be nonsense.

He stretched for the ball, almunia came across his standing foot making it impossible to keep his balance based on the position his feet were in.

yet again you take the words right out of my mouth (or keyboard rather) :cool:

• Advertisement

Holsten wrote: »
    HE DIVED!

Thats why the ref booked EBOUE HE DIVED!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Such a bad header under little pressure its untrue.

2dj5kxy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

IMO there was no difference between Rooneys actions today & Eduardos during the week.

There may have been no difference between the actions of Rooney and Eduardos but there was a difference between the actions of the goalkeepers

One made no contact with the player (eduardo) but the player still went down, the other took the player out of the game without making any contact with the ball (Rooney), which explains why one was cheating and the other was a legitimate pernalty. Rooney acted within the rules of the game, Eduardo didn't.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Such a bad header under little pressure its untrue.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2dj5kxy.gif

I'm still trying to figure out what in the name of god was going through his head

Complete and utter brainfart

i disagree, Rooney was on his way to the floor anyway when he touched Almunia, therefore it wasn't a penalty cause Rooney had already commited an offence when trying to deceive the ref so the game shouldn't have been active when Rooney & Almunia made contact, therefore no pen :);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

How cringeworthy were those mancs trying to be funny when Wenger got sent off. Woeful supporters. And to chant "cheat" at anyone - irony at it's very best.

i disagree, Rooney was on his way to the floor anyway when he touched Almunia, therefore it wasn't a penalty cause Rooney had already commited an offence when trying to deceive the ref so the game shouldn't have been active when Rooney & Almunia made contact, therefore no pen :);)

I think you will find Almunia touched Rooney.

Is stretching for the football an offence now?:eek::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Headshot wrote: »
    Manchester+United+v+Arsenal.jpeg

looks like he is going to fly off,

love it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

IMO there was no difference between Rooneys actions today & Eduardos during the week.

Aww god not you aswell :pac: Ive grown tired of arguing about this :pac:

/Interest in thread

:p

• Advertisement

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I think you will find Almunia touched Rooney.

Is stretching for the football an offence now?:eek::confused:

actually, i think you'll find Almunia touched the ground, Rooney dived over him leaving his legs trailing so as to get contact & win a peno. Rooney was making no effort to get the ball.

Strikers do it all the time, i aint asking for him to be banned or anything :) just for a bit of relative thinking-it was a dive, same as eduardos.

dvsjdw.gif

okx69u.gif

f441e1.gif

lol Shut up.

The ref is NEVER EVER pinging Rooney for diving there. I am not even sure its a dive. There was certainly contact. The deciding factor for me tbh should be whether if unimpeded he makes it to the ball. If he doesnt then no pen imo, if he does then its a pen.

If Rooney had booted the ball away into RowZ here and went down the ref is never giving a pen imo, but yet he does here when the same outcome would have happened. Meh I dunno. Maybe I have it arseways.

whether or not Rooney was going to get the ball is irrelevant as far as the rules are concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just back from the game, still don't know how we won it. Arsenal players like diving, Van Persie's in particular was very funny early on in the game. We played a shocker in the first half, not a fan of this 4-5-1 at home and the goal should have being saved. It was also the worst game I've seen Giggs play, the Stretty where getting on his back.

Clear peno as I was right beside it, Rooney just nipped it away from Aluminia. Oh and Fletcher and Evra where our best players by a country mile, they need a song.

Knackered now and got work in the morning. I'm looking forward to MOTD to see what the Wegner thing was all about, pretty funny seeing him standing up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Wengers comments..
    "We produced an exceptional performance and were punished by two goals that were beyond belief," Wenger reflected. "But I would like to leave thinking about the positives because we have a great future.

"But tonight those thoughts are difficult to swallow. We lack maturity, especially when we are not under pressure. For the penalty, Wayne Rooney was in no danger of scoring. There was no need to panic and for the own goal there was not one United player near Diaby. We could not kill off the game and when you do that you are in danger of being brought down."

whether or not Rooney was going to get the ball is irrelevant as far as the rules are concerned.

Yeah I know. Thats why I said "should".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

actually, i think you'll find Almunia touched the ground, Rooney dived over him leaving his legs trailing so as to get contact & win a peno. Rooney was making no effort to get the ball

Absoulte Rubbish, really this has to be the most pathetic attempt to change the subject. Rooney, won the ball then was fouled by the goalkeeper. A stonewall penalty.

Such an utterly pathetic arguement, "Rooney left his legs trailing".

Where else is he supposed to put his legs other then directly below his body?

Stop clasping at straws.

rooney falling before any contact made;

2lnv8ntj.jpg

last i'll say on it cause i'm not that fussed.

Rooney could have been doing cartwheels before contact was made, it doesnt change the fact that contact was made and a foul was commited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

you must be fussed if your posting in the thread ?

or are you trying to wind us up

you must be fussed if your posting in the thread ?

or are you trying to wind us up

I thought you'd had enough of this thread?

Or are you trying to wind us up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

2lnv8ntj.jpg

LOL, I somewhat agree with you but I think he overstretched just to touch the ball so any contact would be a penalty. His stretching made him fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Rooney was on his way to the floor anyway when he touched Almunia, therefore it wasn't a penalty cause Rooney had already commited an offence when trying to deceive the ref so the game shouldn't have been active when Rooney & Almunia made contact, therefore no pen :);)

You're trolling a United thread? Wow, who'd have predicted that.

I thought you'd had enough of this thread?

Or are you trying to wind us up?

I did actually i gave it a while to sink in

what a win ;)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    He was already on his way down before any contact, clearly not a stonewall pen imo.

Like I said, he could have been doing cartwheels before he went down

He was still brought down by Almunia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Rooney could have been doing cartwheels before contact was made, it doesnt change the fact that contact was made and a foul was commited.

This is the correct answer.

The fact Rooney may have been heading downwards (that Mr Alan has to use still frames shows it's hardly clear-cut) doesn't justify Almunia then clattering into him.

Here's an analogy. If I'm jogging along, happen to stumble a bit and then some yob near me trips me over completely so I fall flat on my face, are the actions of the yob justifiable because I may have been heading to ground anyway? Of course not. Contact should not be made. Full stop.

Take off the blinkers and lay the blame on the rightful culprit - the silly and rash goalkeeper.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00mdndc/606_29_08_2009/

Skip forward to about 23.30mins in

Frisbee next time dont ring Mr Green.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It was both a dive and a penalty. He was going down regardless of whether the keeper hit him or not, which he did. Who gives a fúck anyway, what's done is done.

Frisbee next time dont ring Mr Green.......

:confused:

It was both a dive and a penalty

this is correct i guess.

:confused:

Did u open my above link?

• Advertisement

Did u open my above link?

Yeah.

Someone who agreed with me was on trying to argue the same point I was.

Fail to see what that has to do with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

anyone who thinks it wasn't a penalty is loopy.

anyone who thinks Rooney wasn't on his way down already, is also loopy.

none of it makes a damn bit of difference anyway.

the vast majority of arsenal fans admit it's a penalty it seems. but for some strange, wacky reason utd fans won't believe their own eyes and admit Rooney was on his way down, and admit he was exhibiting the same mentality that made their fans chant 'cheat' at Eduardo today.

hilarious stuff i tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Rooney was in the process of diving when Almunia took him out of it. Simples.

If Almunia had pulled out of it at the last second Rooney would have looked a right idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Lol, this is rediculous. I was out during the match, but I read the comments on here before catching the highlights. I was expectating a fairly dodgy decision, given some of the posts, but it was an absolute stone wall penalty people! Had he stayed on his feet that half a second longer, it still would've been a penalty.

I don't blame non-United fans for being slightly annoyed. We're one of the favourites for the league, nearly everyone hates us, and based on those hlghlights, we did nothing to deserve the 3 points today. But this just strikes me as petty nit-picking from people who just want something to vent their anger at.

The first question thats asked regarding every penalty decision is if there was contact between the player and the offender. Even the most die-hard United haters would find it hard to deny there was contact between Rooney and Alumunia. And no matter what way you try and spin it, that's what it has in the past and will continue to boil down to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Just watched the highlights (may not be true reflection of the match).
    I cant believe there isnt more about Fletchers blatant foul inside the box in the first half. Was a defo penalty and he got away with it, a really daft tackle that got nowhere near the ball.
    Foster, I personally believe could have done better for the goal, he got a good hand to it. That said he made a couple of good saves, especially the one with his left foot.
    Barring the peno escape, Fletcher appear to play really well.
    Eboue, this guy really is a clown, I don't know how he is still at arsenal. He may be a decent footballer but he lacks severely in cop on. His dive was daft and his timing worse.
    I do believe the Rooney one was a peno. There was significant contact, Rooney was definitely impeded by the keepers outstretched arms. (Arsenal fans should feel more aggrieved to not have gotten the peno from Fletcher in the first half)
    Also, Arsenal didnt appear to be as all over united as I had presumed from parts of various websites, they may have had a lot of "boring" possession not fit for a highlights package so perhaps that isnt the best of indicators.

All said, Arsenal probably deserved a draw, but deserving something and actually getting it are what makes football so interesting and frustrating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

actually, i think you'll find Almunia touched the ground, Rooney dived over him leaving his legs trailing so as to get contact & win a peno. Rooney was making no effort to get the ball.

Strikers do it all the time, i aint asking for him to be banned or anything :) just for a bit of relative thinking-it was a dive, same as eduardos.

dvsjdw.gif

okx69u.gif

f441e1.gif

Is football not a contact sport anymore?

Rooney already falling before contact was made. That is a fact.
    Is this not simulating?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The difference between Rooney and Eduardo's dives were the goalkeeper. Both of them did the exact same thing, one just got lucky that the keeper made him look honest.

Gutted about the result; Arsenal really should have won that. Good performance though without some important players which bodes well for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Wenger after that stunt...has gotten some respect off me

The difference between Rooney and Eduardo's dives were the goalkeeper. Both of them did the exact same thing, one just got lucky that the keeper made him look honest.

this is exactly the point i was trying to make.

which made it especially hilarious the response Eduardo got when he came on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

How so :confused:

Almunia made contact with Rooney

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement