Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester Utd V Arsenal PL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Unearthly wrote: »
    It really is baffling stuff.

You would think Alex Ferguson and Man Utd have earned the right not be written off from any season after 4 games(especially when they have 9 points from those games)

I think it's a case of what people WANT, not what they really think.

Some of them believe that United have been a one player team for the last 3 years and had conviced themselves that United would struggle this year. They are still clutching at those straws despite uniteds start to the season which has seen them off to a decent start points wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Boggles wrote: »
    Oh dear, best start in 3 seasons. Same ignorance spouted the past 3 seasons, nothing really changes.

The performances say otherwise, ye've been poor in 3 of the 4 games. United won't be as lucky in every other game as they were yesterday. I can only speak for myself when I say I didn't write United off at this stage in any of the previous 3 seasons, this year I just don't think they're good enough. I don't think the current squad will improve enough over the course of the season for United to win the league.
    Which midfielder do you think Ferguson should buy?
    You've got me there Boggles, I don't know who he could buy, but even you can't deny that the midfield is a bit lightweight this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

United showed yesterday they lack a little bit of creativity in midfield alright, I doubt anything will happen before the deadline break though as he learnt his lesson last season about taking a player on with no pre-season behind him (Berba).

All we can hope is that Hargreaves comes back sooner than expected fully fit (it was always going to be a long lay off as that was the gamble with him to try to finally find a fix for his knees/ shin splints problem). Also we have the other Serbian coming to us in January (Adem Ljajić) and perhaps fergie is thinking we can motor on until this youngster is up to Premiership ability.

Then there is the other Italian coming through the Youth ande reserve team (Pettucci) who looks damn impressive and hopefully make the grade as he is streets ahead of the other youngsters in that team. So Fergie might indeed be by biding his time although I agree with some fo the views on here, although the desire has been there in all the games, some of the finishing and creativity has been lacking. Maybe the win yesterday will galvanise the troops, as thats the first time we have been behind and come back to win the game this season, and happened very little last season, especially against the big boys. Seen a shocking statistic yesterday, out of the bottom 12 teams last season we picked up 70 out of 72 points in total, however the other 7 teams in the top 8 we picked up 20 out of 42 points, I knew it seemed like a weird year to win it as once we went behind against a big team we lost the game, simple as that. That had to improve this season and so far so good.

And btw, of course it was a penalty yesterday, and Alumni should have been red carded but noone is pointing that out, and no doubt people will talk about running away from the goal and not been in control of ball. Simple fact is he was last man and strategicaly took his man down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

killwill wrote: »
    Well said, it is as much a case of wishful thinking as anything else. Yes United lost two good players but one thing United are good at is grinding out results when needed and I believe we will be there or there abouts next May.

I don't think anyone ( even die hard Liverpool,Arsenal and Chelsea fans) thinks for one second that Utd are still not the team to beat and that they will not be there or there abouts come may.

As for game , Though Utd in the first half played well and control large parts of the game. The standard of passing was s**t and really let us down .Giggs had a mare and some of his decisions were shocking . Think Scholes was badly missed for that final ball . I think Arsenal where always dangerous , and play some great football impressive at times. Very good strike from Arshavin thought Foster could have done better. Arsenal very good in the second half and where on top but how much of that was down to Utd defensive approach after taking the lead is debatable. Don't get me wrong I think they would have created chances and dominate parts of the second half anyway But Utd approach in the second half was like putting out the red carpet . This was clear to see when Berbs came on and give Utd an outlet , Utd got back into the game more started to look dangerous again.(esp on the break).

Man of the Match Rooney sorry no way, Had to be Fletcher IMO ,

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

And btw, of course it was a penalty yesterday, and Alumni should have been red carded but noone is pointing that out, and no doubt people will talk about running away from the goal and not been in control of ball.
    ... and that Gallas was right alongside them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United got the points yesterday, but **** it we got the 3 points.

We're still in trouble imo.
    We need Carrick to remember how to play football.
    We need Anderson to be given a chance and step it up.
    We need Nani to continue to push on.

We need Fergie to stop being so damm scared of playing football, and play 2 forwards in big games. His favorite 4-5-1 in tight games just won't work better creative midfielders and somebody like Ronaldo who scores the magic magic goals. Until somebody else steps up, we're gona struggle in these big games unless Fergie changes his tactics.

Nonetheless, 3 points. Luckily gotten but they all bleedn count.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Well this thread seems to be wrapping up. I'II leave it to the 3 lads to sing it out. :pac:

wenge1r.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The Muppet wrote: »
    There is another difference. Every professional soccer pundit and writer whose comments I have heard/read recoignised that Eduardo was cheating while Rooney was not. They must be wrong.

Nationality is a thing to consider here.

Well, comparing contact too.:rolleyes:

PHB wrote: »
    United got the points yesterday, but **** it we got the 3 points.

We're still in trouble imo.
    We need Carrick to remember how to play football.
    We need Anderson to be given a chance and step it up.
    We need Nani to continue to push on.

We need Fergie to stop being so damm scared of playing football, and play 2 forwards in big games. His favorite 4-5-1 in tight games just won't work better creative midfielders and somebody like Ronaldo who scores the magic magic goals. Until somebody else steps up, we're gona struggle in these big games unless Fergie changes his tactics.

Nonetheless, 3 points. Luckily gotten but they all bleedn count.

I disagree about Anderson, he is living off 2 games for the past 2 seasons. Whats he done to justify the hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

jank wrote: »
    I disagree about Anderson, he is living off 2 games for the past 2 seasons. Whas he done to justify the hype.

not this again

Well if he is so good why cant he get into a 5 man midfield at the moment?

He is completely over rated, fletcher is a much better player altough he may not have "cool" dreadlocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

^It has taken Fletcher many years to reach the level that he's at right now. Anderson's been at United for 2 years and still has plenty of time to develop. He's at an higher level than Fletcher was at that age. Stupid comparison.

United are slow starters. It will take us a while to get into full flow what with inuries and all but 9 points from four games is not bad at all. Things are looking very good atm.

K4t wrote: »
    ^It has taken Fletcher many years to reach the level that he's at right now. Anderson's been at United for 2 years and still has plenty of time to develop. He's at an higher level than Fletcher was at that age. Stupid comparison.

It has taken him 2 years to stay at the same player IMO. Didnt himself and Fergie have a big dust up over the week? Wouldnt be surprised if he left United come January.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_united/article6809907.ece
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1209040/Anderson-wants-fight-United-place-clashing-Sir-Alex.html?ITO=1490

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

jank wrote: »
    Well if he is so good why cant he get into a 5 man midfield at the moment?

Have you watched united recently, we play 4-4-2, the 4-5-1 against Arsenal was a one off. And everyone by now has heard of Andersons argument with Ferguson. Do a bit of research before posting.

I watch when I can but I do know that the only game he has featured in was against Burnley (which United lost!).

I dont know what you mean about doing research though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Completely agree with Jank. Anderson has done nothing to justify the huge price tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

... and that Gallas was right alongside them.

Considering Rooney was between Gallas and Alumni, I think 'right alongside' him is a bit of an exagerration, if not downright wrong :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

no he didnt! yes he did!

great stuff lads

• Advertisement

Lads
    Seemly its now Fletcher fault , for playing anti-football and fouling :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Was over at the game. Great result. Wasn't the best match I was ever at football wise but great excitement.....and 3 points!! Knew it'd be tight as soon as Fergie named the team with 5 in midfield. Rooney worked hard but he needed more support up front. Giggs had an absolute shocker though. Kept choosing the wrong option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I only saw this a couple of times at the weekend but what's your opinion on it?

I reckon he was going down before he was slightly brushed by Almunia. He touched the ball then made no effort to move his feet (planted them firmly where they were) and began going down like a felled tree.

Now in my eyes, this is cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

It was a penalty. Almunia made a mess of the attempted save and caught Rooney, I have no idea why he didn't stay on his line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

It's called "winning" a penalty these days. Alumunia didn't get the ball so technically it's a foul there can be no further debate on it imo.

United thread that way too
    >

Looked the same to me as Eduardo's.

VeXual, could you move this thread to the Arsenal one while you're busy modding?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

It was a Peno . I seen Rooney take it with my own eyes . and he scored it

Gooooooooooooooooooo Rooney :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Take a look at the Arsenal thread where the majority are saying it was a penalty. And there is know reason why this should be in a thread of it's own. It was discussed in the United thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Was over at the game. Great result. Wasn't the best match I was ever at football wise but great excitement.....and 3 points!! Knew it'd be tight as soon as Fergie named the team with 5 in midfield. Rooney worked hard but he needed more support up front. Giggs had an absolute shocker though. Kept choosing the wrong option.

he did but created both goals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Looked the same to me as Eduardo's.

VeXual, could you move this thread to the Arsenal one while you're busy modding?

:rolleyes:

well, then you probably need this link mate, http://www.specsavers.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I only saw this a couple of times at the weekend but what's your opinion on it?

I reckon he was going down before he was slightly brushed by Almunia. He touched the ball then made no effort to move his feet (planted them firmly where they were) and began going down like a felled tree.

Now in my eyes, this is cheating.

slightly brushed. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

BaZmO* wrote: »

I think he was fantastic in the second half but brutal in the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

robbed from another poster, but i think this sums it up perfectly;
    The difference between Rooney and Eduardo's dives were the goalkeeper. Both of them did the exact same thing, one just got lucky that the keeper made him look honest.

Subject done to death , Was discussed in Match thread , UTD thread ,Arsenal thread(prob), hell think it was even discussed in the Home & Garden thread.:D
    Its Tuesday. get over it,

ps stone wall peno IM0 :D

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Subject done to death , Was discussed in Match thread , UTD thread ,Arsenal thread(prob), hell think it was even discussed in the Home & Garden thread.:D
    Its Tuesday. get over it,

ps stone wall peno IM0 :D

Hate to break it to you, but it is Monday.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    robbed from another poster, but i think this sums it up perfectly;

Thats a great point Alan, the difference was the goalkeeper.

You see, for a foul to be committed the goalkeeper had to foul the player.

Eduardo wasnt fouled by the goalkeeper whereas Rooney was.

missing the point entirely. Rooney was gone down either way. He played for the foul. He just did it better than Eduardo who was foiled by Boruc.

Sorry I wasn't arséd looking through all the United/Arsenal threads.

I'm a Villa man.

Just thought it was a soft penalty. He was looking for it. And in line with the way these things are these days, he was given it.

missing the point entirely. Rooney was gone down either way. He played for the foul. He just did it better than Eduardo who was foiled by Boruc.

No Alan the point is that Rooney was fouled and Eduardo wasnt.

Rooney had dived before the foul was commited by Almunia though.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    No Alan the point is that Rooney was fouled and Eduardo wasnt.

That's my point. I don't think he was fouled. He was looking for the peno. You could dee him planting his feet in the ground and making no effort to run

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Almunia should have left him go down then. Since there's contact, it's a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭hblock21

You can clearly see that his knees were bending BEFORE Almunia touched him. And I've only seen it once.

That's my point. I don't think he was fouled. He was looking for the peno. You could dee him planting his feet in the ground and making no effort to run

a player doesn't have to try to avoid the keeper for it to be a foul though. It doesn't matter if Rooney was playing for it, if Almunia fouled him, it is a foul.

andyman wrote: »
    Since there's contact, it's a foul.

Actually, football is a contact sport.

But i'll accept its a grey area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

this was discussed in the match thread - big time.
    Some interesting points made there too

So?

Just because he didnt get out of the way of Almunia taking him down, you dont think its a foul? Every Player is obligated to step back and get out of the way of the keeper when he comes charging out for the ball?

Actually, football is a contact sport.

But i'll accept its a grey area.

Its not a grey area, everyone excepts it was a foul except for bitter pool fans it appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

TBH either way you look at it Rooney won the penalty. Almunia should have know better Rooney ran the ball too wide you can see he looked at the keeper and was going to try and get the penalty. I've no problem with this as it was Almuinias fault he had to have known the ball was going nowhere and shouldn't have tried to make the save. If it was Torres instead of Rooney I'd be pi$$ed if we didnt get the penalty.

Edit: I take exception at the above post I'm a LFC fan and dont see Rooney's penalty as being on the same level with Eduardo. And arsenal had another blatent dive in the the match which was punished and rightly so. And on a side note Fletcher's foul on Arshavin was a definate penalty but that didnt matter in the end.

a player doesn't have to try to avoid the keeper for it to be a foul though. It doesn't matter if Rooney was playing for it, if Almunia fouled him, it is a foul.

Funny how quickley your opinion changed.

You on the Eduardo incident;
    the slight contact is made AFTER Eduardo starts his dive to the ground, which makes it a dive, and not an embellishment on the contact made.

surely if contact is made with Rooney AFTER he has already started his dive (which he clearly had) then its a dive by Rooney & can't be a penalty when contact is made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

What do you mean he made no effort to run . He got to the ball first .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement