Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester Utd V Arsenal PL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

I have a feeling that this will be a cagey, unsatisfying draw. It could be a classic, the potential for that is always there between United and Arsenal, but I think at this stage of the season that both sides will settle for a point. I think that this match depends on how United approach it. Go 4-3-3 with Park as one of the front three, and it could be a snoozefest. Go 4-4-2 with two wingers, and it could be hold on to your hats time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Tyranax wrote: »
    I have a feeling that this will be a cagey, unsatisfying draw. It could be a classic, the potential for that is always there between United and Arsenal, but I think at this stage of the season that both sides will settle for a point. I think that this match depends on how United approach it. Go 4-3-3 with Park as one of the front three, and it could be a snoozefest. Go 4-4-2 with two wingers, and it could be hold on to your hats time.

if its end to end, arsenal will savage us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Fab is a big loss.

3-1 United, Berbatov to run the show, Arshavin for the Arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Leixlip_Red

Much more likely to go with 4-3-3 and Park as part of the "front line", I don't think Fergie wants to get into a free-flowing game of football with Arsenal. He'll probably start the Fletch too... think it will be a tight game, will go for 1-1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

greendom wrote: »
    Do you think it could be restarted on Saturday evening if Arsenal win in controversial circumstances. Dodgy penalty say....?
    Of course. If Wenger kicks him that will start it too.

Much more likely to go with 4-3-3 and Park as part of the "front line", I don't think Fergie wants to get into a free-flowing game of football with Arsenal. He'll probably start the Fletch too... think it will be a tight game, will go for 1-1.

Fletcher, Carrick and Anderson as the middle three? They are who I'd pick. Scholes doesn't have the legs, neither does Giggs. I have a feeling that it'll be 0-0, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Come on 0-0!

Probably a win for Arsenal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Fletcher, Carrick and Anderson as the middle three? They are who I'd pick. Scholes doesn't have the legs, neither does Giggs. I have a feeling that it'll be 0-0, unfortunately.
    Scholes still gets around. I think he still is effective for just holding onto the ball and keeping it simple. Id put him in ahead of Carrick for Arse.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The early meeting at the Emirates last season was the most enjoyable defeat I've ever watched as a United fan, as was the quality of the game. I have a feeling if United are to win the league this year they will have to perform better in the "mini-league" of the big 4 so am hoping for a win tomorrow.

(However if it's a choice between win tomorrow or win the upcoming derby I would choose the derby :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RedivideR

I'd love to be as optimistic as some Arsenal fans in here but I would go with 1-1. Possibly a moment of magic from RVP and I reckon it will take a cracker from Rooney to get past a much more solid-looking Arsenal defence than last season...

Was delighted to see the pressure we put Celtic under when they had possession on Wed night, and it will be vital that we do the same against Utd tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gona be an interesting game. I'm as always wary of playing Arsenal. I love how so many posters go back and forths from them being amazing to them being not good enough.

I think we've got enough to win. I'm happy its at Old Trafford rather than Emirates as otherwise I think we'd have a tough time getting anything. Our defence though is weak, Ferdinand missing is a huge blow, so we need Evans to step up and put in a top class performance.

Fletcher will play thank god, huge plus. And Fabregas out takes a lot away from Arsenal no doubt. Anderson or Carrick to start shall be interesting, would be surprised to see Scholes start, although not hugely surprised to see Giggs start.

Rooney and Berbatov should hopefully do well enough to dictate the game up front and get us a win. I think (hope) United are beginning to adjust to a 4-4-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

greendom wrote: »
    Do you think it could be restarted on Saturday evening if Arsenal win in controversial circumstances. Dodgy penalty say....?

Well i don't think that will happen.
    I reckon the referee will be have been carefully chosen.
    No, i honestly can't see any bust ups with Utd.
    Last thing Wenger needs right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What a weird time for a fixture like this - 17:15.

I would've bet anything for an early kick off or a 'Super Sunday'

I think United 2 - 1, with Arsenal taking the lead after dominating first 20 minutes and United to make it 1 - 1 before half time. Second half will be tight with United grabbing a late winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

United 3-0 Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I will be very surprised if United don't go 4-3-3 for this. United to win 2-1. Rooney, Valencia anr Arshavin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭liam09

i think the score will be 3-0 to arsenal yeah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

killwill wrote: »
    I will be very surprised if United don't go 4-3-3 for this. United to win 2-1. Rooney, Valencia anr Arshavin.

I think that formation would suit Arsenal, midfield would be under less pressure, have more time on the ball and Arsenal's defence is better this year and could cope with 3 up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

IvySlayer wrote: »
    What a weird time for a fixture like this - 17:15.

I would've bet anything for an early kick off or a 'Super Sunday'

I think United 2 - 1, with Arsenal taking the lead after dominating first 20 minutes and United to make it 1 - 1 before half time. Second half will be tight with United grabbing a late winner.

ya they usually have them early in the day so people wouldnt be in the pubs first and gettin drunk and startin riots, weird.

itl be like the fa cup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

United made Arsenal look very average last season in the champions league, can't see anything but a United win unfortunatly.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Really looking forward to this. Heading over to see it. :D

Fletcher is going to be key, will be very interesting to see who Fergie partners with him.

I'll go with 2-1 United (Flether, Berbatov and VP)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

going to be a very tough game

if i was offered a draw now,id take it

but I think with Fab out,makes utd slightly favourites imo

so im going for a 2-1 utd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Can see Arsenal being too strong for utd, 2-0 , possibly 3-0 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If Arsenal had been full strength I would have put them down for a win. With no Fabregas (not to mention Nasri or Rosicky) I think the Gunners midfield will be more defensively minded and a draw is the likely outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

If Fabregas was playing Id say it would be a step too far for United at this moment in time.

He isnt afaik, so I reckon it'll be a tight draw or narrow Arsenal win unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Score draw for me maybe 2-2!

Fabregas is a massive loss for the Arsenal, im sickened he wont be playing but hopefully Arshavin can kick start his season with a decent game and hopefully can pull a few strings.

More wary of Rooney than usual i have a feeling he could cause us serious damage tomorrow.

Interesting battle ahead with himself and Vermaelen. Hopefully Thomas does the business though. He seems the type of player that will relish the chance to mix it with the likes of rooney and drogba!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Looking forward to this, watching videos of previous encounters has gotten me psyched for it :D

Couldn't really predict the winner, slightly leaning towards Arsenal, but we'll wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Team prediction:

Almunia

---Sagna---Gallas---Vermaelen---Clichy---

Song
    -Bendtner---Denilson--Diaby---Arshavin---

RVP

Plenty of movement from Diaby and Arshavin and hopefully Bendtner can get up there and support RVP as much as possible.

Looking forward to it now..............

itsjaybud wrote: »
    Team prediction:

Almunia

---Sagna---Gallas---Vermaelen---Clichy---

-Song
    -Bendtner---Denilson--Diaby---Arshavin---

RVP

Plenty of movement from Diaby and Arshavin and hopefully Bendtner can get up there and support RVP as much as possible.

Looking forward to it now..............

All key for me tomorrow if Arsenal are to win. All of those players must play well and win their personal duels.

My team prediction:

Van Der Sar

---O'Shea
    Evans
    Vidic
    Evra

Carrick

Fletcher
    Anderson

----Park
    Rooney

Berbatov

It's like I've said before, I think that we will go three in midfield, Park in the team to help out defensively, and I think that we'll be happy with a point. Both teams will cancel each other out, there will be no signifcant periods of excitement, few chances, 0-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

sticking out top scorer on wing

isnt the best idea imo

It mightn't be, but I can see it happening. I'd prefer us to go 4-4-2, Rooney and Berbatov up front, you are totally right in that they need time to play together for it to gel and be the best partnership they can be. But I think that Fergie will be "practical" if you like. He'll assess Arsenal's form, the fact that we've lost one game already, and aim to win the next two I think.

• Advertisement

I'd be absolutely stunned if one of Nani and Valencia aren't playing.

We've switched to a 4-4-2 now, so Park and Anderson on the wings would be absolutely awful, both cutting in, no real width. One of them is fine, 2 is terrible.

I hope to see

---Valencia
    Fletcher----Anderson----Nani---
    Berbatov----Rooney

It's solid in defence. All 4 of thse midfielders track back, nobody really lets the fullback get away from them. And they can all put in a good tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

PHB wrote: »
    I hope to see

---Valencia
    Berbatov----Rooney

It's solid in defence. All 4 of thse midfielders track back, nobody really lets the fullback get away from them. And they can all put in a good tackle.
    Yeah, that's what i'm hoping for, it's our strongest midfield imo. Although i have a feeling Giggs will start instead of Anderson. I'll be very surprised if we don't line up 442.

Arsenal to edge this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

PHB wrote: »
    I'd be absolutely stunned if one of Nani and Valencia aren't playing.

We've switched to a 4-4-2 now, so Park and Anderson on the wings would be absolutely awful, both cutting in, no real width. One of them is fine, 2 is terrible.

I hope to see

---Valencia
    Berbatov----Rooney

I hope you're right, if that's the team I can see Arsenal having the ball for 90 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm getting more and more nervous as the game gets closer.

This is going to be very close imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'll go for a score draw. Arsenal's to dominate the game for long periods but for Berba or Rooney to come up with a bit of magic to save United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Wenger said he's going to leave Eduardo out of this game to protect him.
    Seems more irrational decisions by LeBoss , if Eduardo scored in this game and we win all will be forgotten.:confused:

I can see Evra getting sent off or being part of a sending off. Evra and Nani have both been physically targetted by Arsenal before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

No Fabregas is a huge plus for United.

Once again, Im going for 3-0, with Berbatov to take the absolute piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I have a sneaky feeling SAF may lash Giggs into the starting line-up alongside Fletcher! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I honestly can't predict who'll win, but I do think there will be lots of goals. :)

I'm excited!!!

United Team

Foster

J'OS - Brown - Vidic - Evra

Fletcher Giggs Carrick

Valencia----Rooney --- Nani

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

United 4-3-3

O'shea - Brown - Vidic - Evra

Fletch - Giggs - Carrick

Valencia - Rooney - Nani

Not expecting that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Interesting. No Berbatov - does this mean he's going to run off to Man City?

Bench: PIG, Nev, Owen, Ando, Park, Berba, Scholes

Edit: Berba crisis averted: MUTV had the wrong subs lineup and had left out Berba!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Wtf? Berbs get a late injury?

Edit: Wtf? Why's Berbs on the bench?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Arsenal Team Anyone? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

United:

433 for UNited.

Foster

O'Shea
    Vida