Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester Utd V Arsenal PL

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This thread needs to be locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

GreeBo wrote: »
    Im a UTD fan and I think he played for the penalty.

playing for a penalty is fine once the foul comes
    Penalty stands but Rooney should be brought up in a review and penalised for it.
    ROFL - do you really support UTD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Pighead wrote: »
    Rooney making a meal of it is irrelevant, the FACT is he was fouled in the box.

therefore-penalty.

Would you not agree?

Its not really black & white pighead.

Yes Rooney was fouled in the box, but he was fouled in the box after he dived. I'm not sure what the procedure in this instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Rooney making a meal of it is irrelevant, the FACT is he was fouled in the box.

therefore-penalty.

Would you not agree?

He wasn't fouled. Had he not dived, he would have been fouled (probably). However, he went down before he was fouled and the contact came when he collapsed on Almunia. You can't give a penalty for what would have happened had he stayed on his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »

Yes Rooney was fouled in the box, but he was fouled in the box after he dived. I'm not sure what the procedure in this instance.

Haha.

He was fouled you agree. Therefore penalty.

Do you really see no difference between the Rooney peno and the Eduardo Peno?

You claim to be shocked about it? How shocked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

To be honest Al I haven't a clue either. I was just going by what you said last year when El Zhar made a meal of his penalty shout against Liege. As you said, nothings ever black and white.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57063793&postcount=290.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

He wasn't fouled. Had he not dived, he would have been fouled (probably).
    ROFL Almunia caught him regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,269 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

kida wrote: »
    ROFL - do you really support UTD
    Yes, but that doesnt mean I condone this pussy-like behaviour.
    Beat them properly, dont slime your way to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

To be honest Al I haven't a clue either. I was just going by what you said last year when El Zhar made a meal of his penalty shout against Liege. As you said, nothings ever black and white.

LOL :D

• Advertisement

was waiting to see wat you'd pull up ;)

unfortunately, the post doesn't dictate whether El Zhar made a meal of it before or after the contact was made (& didn't get the penalty iirc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The first action was the dive. That's what the decision should be based on, and that alone.

Put it this way, if Almunia cleaned out Rooney, Rooney fell on the ball and handled it, and a free out was given then there'd be blue murder.

Same thing here for me - the second indescretion was punished, not the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

There is a difference, Pighead. If Rooney was fouled by Almunia and then collapsed in a heap and made a meal of it - penalty.

If Rooney dives and then hits Almunia - no penalty. This is what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,269 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

kida wrote: »
    ROFL Almunia caught him regardless

Likewise Rooney caught Almunia.
    In both views the ball was long gone and no one was preventing the other from getting at the ball. Rooney threw himself on the keeper after a poor touch lost the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rooney was fouled, after he dived.

Eduardo wasn't, after he dived. What was Rooney to do, if he had stayed running he would have been brought down, if he stopped he would have been brought down.

If he wasnt brought down he was impeeded imo

it was a penalty, and the award of the penalty wasnt based on Wayne Rooney cheating.

if I ran at you playing football, and you stuck out a leg in the air stopping my run after the ball went , just as I approached you, does it matter if i fall, stop running or burst through you? Does it change the outcome? Should it? no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

i'm not particularly aggrieved, just thought it was fairly shocking the reception Eduardo got at OT, and has gotten in general over the last week, yet Rooneys actions were the exact same as Eduardos and there's not a peep about it.
    Ha. You're "shocked" that a player from a rival team got a hard time from rival fans after being all over the back pages after a controversial decision? And you're also "shocked" that the home fans haven't given Rooney a hard time for making a meal out of a badly timed attempt at a save?

Watch the gifs again and watch Rooneys left leg. he drags it along the ground for ages to make sure it makes contact with Almunia.
    Yeah he quite clearly drags it for 4 mins and 22 secs. Total disgrace.

• Advertisement

Likewise Rooney caught Almunia.
    In both views the ball was long gone and no one was preventing the other from getting at the ball. Rooney threw himself on the keeper after a poor touch lost the ball.

again, If I do a Kevin kilbane kick and run job 30 yards in front of me, and you come at me stopping my run as I am running....isn't that the same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

This thread needs to be locked.

It is disappearing very fast up a place where the sun don't shine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

greendom wrote: »
    It is disappearing very fast up a place where the sun don't shine
    Ireland?

i think the questions that need to be asked here is

Was it a penalty?

and should Wayne Rooney be punished for what he did, if anything?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ireland?

No, even darker and smellier :D

• Advertisement

Before I say something that gets me banned, may I ask which mod moved the Rooney thread here?

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Before I say something that gets me banned, may I ask which mod moved the Rooney thread here?
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61875338&postcount=920

its only a few posts back

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The first action was the dive. That's what the decision should be based on, and that alone.

Put it this way, if Almunia cleaned out Rooney, Rooney fell on the ball and handled it, and a free out was given then there'd be blue murder.

Same thing here for me - the second indescretion was punished, not the first.

agree 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

We should all agree that this thread be closed on the 1000th post

You can say peno or no peno to finish it off . What do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Rooney is a smart experienced player.

He knew if he could get the ball around Almunia, the keeper was going to floor him. He started going down before Almunia made contact.

Did Rooney dive? Yes he did.
    Did Almunia make an error? Yes he did.
    Was it a penalty? Yes it was. Almunia make clear contact due to a mistimed attempt to get to the ball.

I'm a United fan, and Mr. Alan is spot on below. Ball, dive, foul. In that order. You can clearly see Rooney getting to the ball right before he starts dragging his legs to go down.

thank God.

a utd fan in this thread who finally gets where we're coming from.

i really don't know what the problem is with people admitting it. it's not like it'll change anything, and it was still quite rightly a penalty.

God help us for questioning the integrity of a professional football player. :rolleyes:

I love you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Looks like it wasn't Rafa who started "Fact" craze in the 1st place

peno for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

imo, these situations come down to the following question:

Did the keeper stop the striker from a possible scoring chance?

It happens all the time where a striker gets a touch on a ball and knocks it wide only to go down when the keeper brushes them. They weren't going to get the ball as it went wide so why the hell are peno's given?

Add to the fact that Rooney was diving and imo there's no way that it was a peno.

Trilla wrote: »
    peno for me

nobody's really questioning that.

unless, as i've said before, they're loopy.

• Advertisement

It happens all the time where a striker gets a touch on a ball and knocks it wide only to go down when the keeper brushes them. They weren't going to get the ball as it went wide so why the hell are peno's given?

Add to the fact that Rooney was diving and imo there's no way that it was a peno.
    lol

Is that not the keeper's job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

LOL are ye still on about this, It's going to be very interesting around here when we get a similar decision involving the other top teams as we will. We'll see then if people stand by their comments in this thread. Similar tackles and Pen awards happens numerous times each season.

Rooney was fouled , It was a pen, It hardly merits hundreds of posts.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Rooney was fouled , It was a pen, It hardly merits hundreds of posts.

it kind of does, due to the vitriol spilled at Eduardo during the week, and at the weekend at OT.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

SlickRic wrote: »
    thank God.

i really don't know what the problem is with people admitting it. it's not like it'll change anything, and it was still quite rightly a penalty.

God help us for questioning the integrity of a professional football player. :rolleyes:

Lol, the reason I am so sure is because I'll hold my hand up and say that, in that exact same situation, I have won 5 or 6 penalties. You know the keeper is going to clatter you and you know that if you don't have a goalscoring chance, you only need to get a touch away from him and he will foul you. Its his fault for making the rash challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Are people still watching the same incident as me? I'm seeing Rooney get taken down in the box by the 'keeper. Every replay I've seen has shown me the same thing, every sports writer seems to agree with me, I just plainly cannot see what some people are talking about...

nobody's really questioning that.

unless, as i've said before, they're loopy.

indeed they're not but
    BVB wrote: »
    We should all agree that this thread be closed on the 1000th post

You can say peno or no peno to finish it off . What do you think?

I decided to take a leaf out of BVB's book.

Liam O wrote: »
    Are people still watching the same incident as me? I'm seeing Rooney get taken down in the box by the 'keeper. Every replay I've seen has shown me the same thing, every sports writer seems to agree with me, I just plainly cannot see what some people are talking about...
    Oh, every one with an ounce of common sense thinks the same, accept the rival fans in this thread.

What we see is Rooney fall a split second before almunia. That is kinda what this argument seems to be about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Oh, look, an actual dive. Maybe a benchmark against which to decide if a dive is a dive or bias.;)

eboue.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

As an Arsenal fan, I'm devastated at the loss. thought we were the better team for most of the game and deserved at least a draw if not three points. Can only blame ourselves for losing, as any team that doesn't convert the 3 or 4 excellent chances we had at Old Trafford are asking for trouble.

Lost of postives though, looked good in defence again, Sagna proving once more what a top-class right back he is and Vermalen coming through his toughest test to date. Arshavin has been really quiet so far this season and was largely anonymous again on Saturday, but the goal shjows that his class is still there and when he comes back into form he will be great. Diaby was poor, and his og was really bad, a simple defensive header under no pressure. Thought Eboue again showed encouraging form, but the dive was a disgrace. For such a God botherer he really has no morals, and actions like this will casue the fans to turn on him once again, and will have no-one to blame but himself.

The disallowed goal at the end was soul-destroying really, and Wenger's sending off was an absolute farce. I thought he responded well enough though, and his King of Old Trafford pose is pretty funny looking back on it. Apparently the FA are going to rescind his sending off and apologise to him. The abuse directed towards Wenger from some United fans is really disgusting, the chants were clearly audible on the TV so it's not like it was just a tiny minority either.

When I first saw the penalty incident I thought it was a definite penalty, but subsequent viewings it 100% clear that Rooney dived before any contact was made. The argument that the dive is the first offensive before the keeper 'fouls' Rooney does hold some merit, but there is no way that any ref could give this judgement, as Rooney is so good at the deception. The fact remains that Almunia did not bring Rooney down, if Almunia had been able to pull out of the challenge after he missed the ball it would be the exact same situation as the Eduardo incident.

Accusations of sour-grapes and bitterness against Arsenal supporters in this thread are a little bit rich really, surely it's understandable that we feel hard done by given the events of the past week - the overblown sensationalism of the Eduardo incident, everyone from the SFA to Johnie Giles having a go at the club and Wenger, losing a massive away game against one of our biggest rivals when we probably deserved to win, the humiliation of our manager and the difference in the treatment of the Rooney penalty and the Eduardo dive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

thank God.

I don't think anyone's under the illusion that Rooney doesn't dive or hasn't dived, it's quite clear that he doesn't mind doing it

Here's a video of one such incident:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXw7Xk4hk-Q

But he didn't dive against Arsenal

Oh, look, an actual dive. Maybe a benchmark against which to decide if a dive is a dive or bias.;)

eboue.gif
    lol:pac: a New thread is in order.

well then I'm sorry.

again, pretty much everyone in here says it was a f*cking penalty, and Almunia clattered him.

what can't be denied, surely, is Rooney was falling already. that is all that is being put forward. his mentality was the same as Eduardo's last week, the same as Stevie G's at times, the same as Drogba at times, the same as Ronaldo, etc etc etc. pretty much every professional footballer in fact.

You're mistake is that you are not taking the Jersey he is wearing into account. As I said in my previous post we see similar incidents numerous times each season and there is little said about them.

People comparing the The Eduardo and Rooney incidents are way off the mark, The keeper in the eduardo incident made no contact with the player, If Almunia had made no contact with Rooney it would not have been a peno either.

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    But he didn't dive against Arsenal

fine. i'll re-phrase it for you :)

he was in the process of diving before being fouled.

fine. i'll re-phrase it for you :)

he was in the process of diving before being fouled.

Which means he was about to dive but go clattered instead which rules out the dive FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

it wasnt a dive

\0/

100% not a dive.
    :P
    <|>
    ^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

100% not a dive.
    :p
    <|>