Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester Utd V Arsenal PL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

BVB wrote: »
    Which means he was about to dive but go clattered instead which rules out the dive FTW

wtf :confused:

what's the difference in the mentality of it? he was diving, but got hit on the way down. the mentality's the same, which is what's being argued.
    Headshot wrote: »
    NOT A peno

good one

this thread needed a bit of lightening up. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Headshot that's cheating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

The Muppet wrote: »
    \0/

:(

You had it, but you wasted it.

:(

You had it, but you wasted it.

I can always edit it, what do you want it to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Headshot that's cheating

what cheating ?

i tried to get the 1000 post

but my slow ass connection ****ed up

I can always edit it, what do you want it to say?

Same as my following post would be a fitting conclusion.:D

Headshot wrote: »
    what cheating ?

i tried to get the 1000 post

but my slow ass connection ****ed up

Mine went back to 999 when you were doing your edit.
    Same as my following post would be a fitting conclusion.:D

Happy now?

Mine went back to 999 when you did your edit.

Happy now?

Quite. Although I have edited mine since. And it remains to be seen if everyone else follows the 1000th post rule.:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

You're mistake is that you are not taking the Jersey he is wearing into account. As I said in my previous post we see similar incidents numerous times each season and there is little said about them.

People comparing the The Eduardo and Rooney incidents are way off the mark, The keeper in the eduardo incident made no contact with the player, If Almunia had made no contact with Rooney it would not have been a peno either.

Eduardo did get contact in the box. Look are the replays.

jank wrote: »
    Howdy Jank:) That's debatable, unlike saturdays incident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

jank wrote: »
    self inflicted contact though

if this was not a penalty why is the press not all over this?

kida wrote: »
    self inflicted contact though

if this was not a penalty why is the press not all over this?
    event wrote: »
    english_flag.jpg

plus it was definitely a penalty, so it's not as controversial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I really cannot believe how blinkered the majority of you Utd. fans are(except futureguy, and Trilla of course;)) that you can't see Rooney going to ground before contact is made.

Nobody is arguing that it wasn't a penalty. Just that he had the intention of going down before any contact was made, the same as Eduardo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

playa3 wrote: »
    I really cannot believe how blinkered you Utd. fans are(except futureguy) that you can't see Rooney going to ground before contact is made.

You can add me to that list, and if you read further on you will see there is more than futureguy who accepts he went to ground before touched by Almunia.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Nobody is arguing that it wasn't a penalty.

Quite a few are.
    Xavi6 wrote: »

The first action was the dive. That's what the decision should be based on, and that alone.

Put it this way, if Almunia cleaned out Rooney, Rooney fell on the ball and handled it, and a free out was given then there'd be blue murder.

Same thing here for me - the second indescretion was punished, not the first.

But then, what does Sherwin know eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

SlickRic wrote: »
    fine. i'll re-phrase it for you :)

he was in the process of diving before being fouled.

No he was ensuring the keeper would make contact by keeping both feet on the ground, and went down easy to ensure a penalty was given. But not a blatant dive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

killwill wrote: »
    No he was ensuring the keeper would make contact by keeping both feet on the ground, and went down easy to ensure a penalty was given. But not a blatant dive

But whats wrong with that - he is under no obligation to get out of the way.

If there was no contact then it was a dive. There was contact and regardless if he was going down already that is a penalty (unless the forward plays into the keeper to ensure contact). So if a player is stumbling is that not a penalty either? It was clever but still a penalty. The keeper making contact make the decision easier.

There are no reputable journalists backing up this crap do let it go, its just bitterness as everyone here would want their own teams striker to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

kida wrote: »
    But whats wrong with that - he is under no obligation to get out of the way.

If there was no contact then it was a dive. There was contact and regardless if he was going down already that is a penalty (unless the forward plays into the keeper to ensure contact). So if a player is stumbling is that not a penalty either? It was clever but still a penalty. The keeper making contact make the decision easier.

There are no reputable journalists backing up this crap do let it go, its just bitterness as everyone here would want their own teams striker to do the same.

Kida there is nnothing wrong with that, that was my whole point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Can someone tell me how it's a pentalty? Last time I checked diving isn't allowed so since the order of events when Rooney touch -> dive -> Almunia contact then clearly Rooney should of been given a yellow for diving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I really cannot believe how blinkered the majority of you Utd. fans are(except futureguy, and Trilla of course;)) that you can't see Rooney going to ground before contact is made.

Nobody is arguing that it wasn't a penalty. Just that he had the intention of going down before any contact was made, the same as Eduardo.

What do you want us to say?

Rooney is a cheat but he didnt cheat? :confused:

Can someone tell me how it's a pentalty? Last time I checked diving isn't allowed so since the order of events when Rooney touch -> dive -> Almunia contact then clearly Rooney should of been given a yellow for diving.

you'd be quicker reading the thread.

and it was a penalty because Almunia fouled him as he was going to ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

The ref is never going to see that, when you watch it in realtime it looks like a stonewall penalty. It's only when you see the slo-mo replays that you can see that Rooney started to go down before the contact, got the contact - peno. Cleverly engineered by Rooney, but simulation nonetheless.

The ref is never going to see that, when you watch it in realtime it looks like a stonewall penalty. It's only when you see the slo-mo replays that you can see that Rooney started to go down before the contact, got the contact - peno. Cleverly engineered by Rooney, but simulation nonetheless.

He simulated Almunia coming out and fouling him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Been reading this thread since the game ended and its pretty funny how split it is, with some saying definite dive and some saying he was fouled.

At the time of seeing the incident i immediately turned round to my mate and said dive, he's taken a dive there and having seen replays i still believe he was just 'looking for the penalty'. As has been said, Rooney knew the keeper was playing and 'won the penno'. Almunia was stupid and a bit rash but, and its not often I say this, I feel sorry for the ref in this instance as at full speed you think its impossible not to give it. It's only when we see the slow mo, and there are plenty of gifs with different angles too, where we see Rooney was already on the way down. Just think how tough the ref has it to see these instances a) once b) from one angle and c) at full speed, very though for them.

Incidents like these have happened thousands of times before and penalties are given the majority of the time but imo Rooney was going down before the keeper made contact. We were very lucky to come away from that match with a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Fuhrer wrote: »
    He simulated Almunia coming out and fouling him?

No, he simulated his movement - ie the falling to ground - before the contact was made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

how bout we all move on now? Just a thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    What do you want us to say?

Rooney is a cheat but he didnt cheat? :confused:

That he had the intention of cheating.
    Trilla wrote: »

Agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Trilla wrote: »

This. I reckon that whoever thinks its a penalty wont be changing their mind and vice-versa, its kinda open to interpretation which makes it difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

SlickRic wrote: »
    you'd be quicker reading the thread.

and it was a penalty because Almunia fouled him as he was going to ground.

Don't you mean fouled him as he was in the process of diving?

Can't fault the ref, but it was a dive from Rooney and therefore shouldn't of been a peno I'm just finding it difficult how some people can claim otherwise.

Don't you mean fouled him as he was in the process of diving?

i agree with you by the way, as you will see from the rest of the thread. apart from the fact i think it was still a penalty.

'diving' and 'going to ground' mean the same thing for me in this context.

anyway, i agree with other people's sentiments. it's probably about time we just left it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Whats the point with discussing it anymore.

The Keeper fouled Rooney (Dived or not) ,The ref gave a peno , United won the game and no one can change it . UEFA can not do anything about it because rooney was fouled none the less .
    Case closed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Great, all be it somewhat lucky, win for Utd.

AthAnRi wrote: »
    Great, all be it somewhat lucky, win for Utd.

Diaby . What a goal!!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Whats the point with discussing it anymore.

The Keeper fouled Rooney (Dived or not) ,The ref gave a peno , United won the game and no one can change it . UEFA can not do anything about it because rooney was fouled none the less .
    Case closed :rolleyes:

Someone should have told Celtic fans/staff that last week.
    Instead they helped get Eduardo banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

i love pantomimes, they're great..... Oh no he didn't... oh yes he did :)

EDUARDO DIDNT GET FOULED

thorbarry wrote: »
    i love pantomimes, they're great..... Oh no he didn't... oh yes he did :)

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

lol

hahaha

Instead they helped get Eduardo and McGeady banned.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

EDUARDO IS NOT BANNED

Yet:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Wreck wrote: »

The abuse directed towards Wenger from some United fans is really disgusting, the chants were clearly audible on the TV so it's not like it was just a tiny minority either.

I take it you couldn't hear the song about what he did to Maddie McCann :D I called him a pedo and felt a bit silly but I got caught up seeing him standing up there, you just had a goal thankfully disallowed so there was some raw emotion going on by most of the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You saw a man standing there so you got caught up in the moment and felt the need to call him a paedophile? I wouldn't be admitting that here if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

boo hoo, didnt realise people were so sensitive

United fans better stop singing 'build a bonfire', or the police will have to get involved, it's clearly threatening to burn people to death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You saw a man standing there so you got caught up in the moment and felt the need to call him a paedophile? I wouldn't be admitting that here if I were you.

lol if you don't understand the raw emotion of attending a football game, you won't understand that it will make you say stupid things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Stokes

+1 - All the moral brigade have probably never been to a live game themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Far worse chants can be sung then calling Wenger a Paedophile.
    Funny the way everyone makes such a big deal of some petty chanting from the stands, would much prefer this any day to the scenes at Upton Park etc.

Most of the people complaining, i would wager, have laughed at insensitive jokes before. Its obviously not very tasteful but its far short of a disgrace!

It's just moronic, and makes you look like a moron. If that's what you want then go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's just moronic, and makes you look like a moron. If that's what you want then go for it.
    I think it's quite funny meself

Hey wait..... uh oh..... what does that make me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Stokes

Looks like the morons in the majority so! Long may it last

• Advertisement

Stokes wrote: »
    Looks like the morons in the majority so!

Never a truer word spoken on this forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement