Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester Utd V Arsenal PL

1161718192022»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Stokes

Better than being an uptight so and so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Dave! wrote: »
    boo hoo, didnt realise people were so sensitive

United fans better stop singing 'build a bonfire', or the police will have to get involved, it's clearly threatening to burn people to death
    RasTa wrote: »
    lol if you don't understand the raw emotion of attending a football game, you won't understand that it will make you say stupid things.
    Stokes wrote: »
    +1 - All the moral brigade have probably never been to a live game themselves.

If he was black would it of been okay to chant "monkey" at him?

No, but Arsene Wenger is not a paedo.

If we called Arsene Wenger a monkey, it would also be funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If he was black would it of been okay to chant "monkey" at him?

I don't respond to your rubbish so don't be bringing racial abuse as it's on a different level.

Also everyone knows he is not a pedo.

I don't respond to your rubbish so don't be bringing racial abuse as it's on a different level.

Even Theo Walcott

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So you're saying black people are actually monkeys now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

So you're saying black people are actually monkeys now?

what a strange assertion to make :confused: Calling a black person a monkey is racial abuse, calling wenger a paedophile is an ill advised crap joke. I'd prefer not to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Calling Wenger a paedophile is basically calling him a silly and offensive name. It's childish and silly, possibly hurtful to Wenger.

Racial abuse is completely different because it's a stereotype statement that the race being abused is inferior or worthless or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I though Nani had a decent game saturday, his pass for berbatov was excellent, He's showing signs of improvemment this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The Muppet wrote: »
    I though Nani had a decent game saturday, his pass for berbatov was excellent, He's showing signs of improvemment this season.

That was a lovely pass to exactly the right spot.

I thought he should have made a better job of the finish for his double chance that came either a couple of minutes before or after that though. He had time to compose which he rightly took but then didn't really stick it enough into the corner of the net. Am i being harsh, dunno but I thought he should have buried it and not given Almunia a chance.

Overall though much improved so far on last years poor showing.

jaykay74 wrote: »

I thought he should have made a better job of the finish for his double chance that came either a couple of minutes before or after that though. He had time to compose which he rightly took but then didn't really stick it enough into the corner of the net. Am i being harsh, dunno but I thought he should have buried it and not given Almunia a chance.

Yeah he could have done better with the second strike, he should have hit teh target, He has been better this year so far. I was dissapointed in Valencia, I suppose he will need time to settle into the team.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

jaykay74 wrote: »

To me the most important thing was he made the right decision. The right thing to do was to play that pass, it was a tough one and i was delighted it came off. More of this hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Berbatov definatley should have made it 3. The only thing you could say in his defence was that coming on after 80 mins its quite hard to get a feel for the game, everyone else who had been playing was playing with the adrenaline of 80 mins of firey football. Still though, a player of his composure i would have expected him to slot it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

lordgoat wrote: »
    To me the most important thing was he made the right decision. The right thing to do was to play that pass, it was a tough one and i was delighted it came off. More of this hopefully.

Yeah, I think it's a positive sign. Berbatov making that run made sure that was the only choice really for Nani. Once he sorts out his decision making in less clear cut situations he'll be a great player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

kida wrote: »
    self inflicted contact though

As mentioned so many times before in this thread was rooney or eduardo obliged to jump out of the way. Rooney was already on the way down so that too must be self inflicted contact as he came down himself, not because of anyone elses action, on the way to the ground almunia caught him.
    Self - Inflicted?

lol if you don't understand the raw emotion of attending a football game, you won't understand that it will make you say stupid things.

I guess that was the excuse many fans had in the 80's when they started to throw bananas at black players. I suppose we can use that excuse today when racial chants are sung in Spain and other countries too. "It's a football game!!":rolleyes:

I take it you couldn't hear the song about what he did to Maddie McCann :D I called him a pedo and felt a bit silly but I got caught up seeing him standing up there, you just had a goal thankfully disallowed so there was some raw emotion going on by most of the fans.

Wow good on ya! Calling someone a peado while hidden among the crowd! What a man!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What a ****ing joke this forum is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

jank wrote: »
    Wow good on ya! Calling someone a peado while hidden among the crowd! What a man!:rolleyes:
    Bit touchy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I'd say this thread isn't far off the 08 CL final thread. 72 pages.:eek:

Pro. F wrote: »
    Calling Wenger a pedophile is basically calling him a silly and offensive name. It's childish and silly, possibly hurtful to Wenger.

Racial abuse is completely different because it's a stereotype statement that the race being abused is inferior or worthless or whatever.

But why call Wenger a Pedophile in the first place? Is it because he likes to have "kids" in his team and maybe "looks" like a pedophile I.E. a stereotype? I have never heard United (or Spurs) fans chant this at any other manager yet Wenger gets it pretty much every game at OT. Is this not a dangerous stereotype?

Anyway being called or being accused a pedophile is for one a disgusting criminal offensive and arguably the worst single thing you can call someone in today society. If one doesn't get the connotations of that word in todays world then you guys seriously need a rain check!

I cant believe some people are defending this. It is wrong and shouldn't happen. There is a marked difference between playground banter and vile accusations.

Chucky the tree has it spot on TBH!
    Black people are not monkeys but to some racists they "look" like monkeys, hence the monkey chants.
    Wenger is not a pedo but to some he "looks" like a pedo so they chant "Sit down you pedo!"

Yet this is fair game? Really, I thought we grew up since the 80's. I have called people fat bastards (especially Pat Dolan :D) and all those kind of things but this chant, like any racial chant is a step over the mark

Just had a look at the stats for the game, it was a pretty close encounter, not at all one sided as was indicated in some reports.

Possession
    * Man Utd 47%
    * Arsenal 53%

Shots on target
    * Man Utd 4
    * Arsenal 3

Shots off target
    * Man Utd 6
    * Arsenal 6

Corners
    * Man Utd 6
    * Arsenal 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The Muppet wrote: »
    Just had a look at the stats for the game, it was a pretty close encounter, not at all one sided as was indicated in some reports.

Possession
    * Man Utd 47%
    * Arsenal 53%

Shots on target
    * Man Utd 4
    * Arsenal 3

Shots off target
    * Man Utd 6
    * Arsenal 6

Corners
    * Man Utd 6
    * Arsenal 5

Not again, not another person reading stats instead of what could be clearly seen on the pitch! Really???

jasonorr wrote: »
    Not again, not another person reading stats instead of what could be clearly seen on the pitch! Really???

Yep, You don't score goals without getting shots on target,

unless the opposition score them for you.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

But why call Wenger a Pedophile in the first place? Is it because he likes to have "kids" in his team and maybe "looks" like a pedophile I.E. a stereotype? I have never heard United (or Spurs) fans chant this at any other manager yet Wenger gets it pretty much every game at OT. Is this not a dangerous stereotype?

Anyway being called or being accused a pedophile is for one a disgusting criminal offensive and arguably the worst single thing you can call someone in today society. If one doesn't get the connotations of that word in todays world then you guys seriously need a rain check!

I cant believe some people are defending this. It is wrong and shouldn't happen. There is a marked difference between playground banter and vile accusations.

Chucky the tree has it spot on TBH!
    Black people are not monkeys but to some racists they "look" like monkeys, hence the monkey chants.
    Wenger is not a pedo but to some he "looks" like a pedo so they chant "Sit down you pedo!"

Yet this is fair game? Really, I thought we grew up since the 80's. I have called people fat bastards (especially Pat Dolan :D) and all those kind of things but this chant, like any racial chant is a step over the mark
    Em, sorry if you thought different but I don't think anyone in the ground actually believed that Wenger actually is a paedophile :rolleyes: It's only a bit of banter. Why did Arsenal fans call Ruud van Nistelrooy a donkey after he got beaten up by their players at that game a few years ago? By your reckoning it must have been racial (calling somebody a pedo isn't racism as much as calling a man a donkey is).

anyway, don't know if this has been posted yet.
    http://therepublikofmancunia.com/was-it-a-penalty/
    pretty much my opinion on the matter

Liam O wrote: »
    Em, sorry if you thought different but I don't think anyone in the ground actually believed that Wenger actually is a paedophile :rolleyes:

Again what Chucky said, I dont think Sinisa Mihajlovic really believed Vieria was really a monkey in 2000, does that excuse it?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/4773921/Vieira-accuses-Lazio-of-worst-racist-abuse.html
    It's only a bit of banter.

Like chants about Munich? "Aw sure its football, tis harmless banter" Somethings are banter, some over step the mark completely and this is one of them
    Why did Arsenal fans call Ruud van Nistelrooy a donkey after he got beaten up by their players at that game a few years ago? By your reckoning it must have been racial (calling somebody a pedo isn't racism as much as calling a man a donkey is).

Well beaten up is a bit of exageration to be fair. But to address the point there is a difference. Calling some one a donkey or a girl is banter. Calling a black player a monkey is wrong, calling someone a pedo (how many years now??) is also wrong!

Anyway, I have yet to hear anyone who has been falsely accused of being called a donkey have their lives ruined. The same cannot be said about being called a pedophile and of course one is a criminal offense.

Seems the United manager agrees that some banter over steps the mark! He directly comments on the Wenger "chants" here.
    It should stop,” he said. “There’s been a focus on fans’ behaviour and the chants towards Arsene Wenger and other managers. It’s ridiculous and I think the police should be doing more. They should be stepping in. Manchester United and their supporters should know very well the chants that have been levelled at us over the years — ie Munich — and understand the sensitivity, and the criticism directed at members of the club itself. I don’t agree with it at all and hopefully our fans appreciate it comes to me too. I hope other clubs share the same views I do. There is enough to admire in our game without having to denigrate people.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/ferguson-welcomes-security-from-nasty-arsenal-fans-999940.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/78965-ferguson-compares-arsenal-manager-songs-with-munich-chants

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

When somebody is racialy abused then the problem is that the inference is that being of that particular race is a bad thing. There is a harmful stereotype of that race.

When somebody is mockingly accused of being a pedophile then the inference is that pedophilia is a bad thing.

That's why i'm saying it's not the same thing as racism. Racism leads to race division which eventually leads to wars and genocide and the like. Accusing somebody of being a pedophile does not.

When somebody is racialy abused then the problem is that the inference is that being of that particular race is a bad thing. There is a harmful stereotype of that race.

Agreed
    When somebody is mockingly accused of being a pedophile then the inference is that pedophilia is a bad thing..

Well I dont know of anyone that thinks being a pedophile is a good thing, so whats your point?

I like how you use the word mockingly though
    If I mockingly call for Ashley Cole to climb up a banana tree does that excuse it? I don't really expect him to do so as well are there any banana trees in england and it would be far fetched thing to do anyway. So can I defend myself as saying "Tis only a joke, I know he isn't going to do it!".

Again what Chucky says.

That's why I'm saying it's not the same thing as racism. Racism leads to race division which eventually leads to wars and genocide and the like. Accusing somebody of being a pedophile does not.

When has racism on the terraces led to a war? Think you are over reaching tbh. Yes some wars were fought due to race but many other factors were involved. Read this book.http://www.amazon.com/War-World-Twentieth-Century-Conflict-Descent/dp/1594201005

Every sane person knows why racism is bad but because pedophiles haven't been a major factor in any wars its OK to call someone it? The mind truly boggles with this logic

I take it you and Liam O disagree with Ferguson so as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Abuse! Some man you are
    Wenger LOL
    Wenger likes kids imo
    OMG your racist, monkeys and stuff.
    wat
    OMG you are racist then.

How do yous do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

CHD wrote: »
    Abuse! Some man you are