Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muhammid Ali

• 28-08-2009 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Anyone out there that can give me any details on Ali's visit to Ennis. I'd really love to see him but I'm not familiar with the line up and I wouldnt be very familiar with Ennis town itself..

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

scubakid wrote: »
    Anyone out there that can give me any details on Ali's visit to Ennis. I'd really love to see him but I'm not familiar with the line up and I wouldnt be very familiar with Ennis town itself..

Thanks

You can get interactive map of Ennis at http://www.irelands-directory.com/Clare/Ennis/maps.html

There will be road closures but I can't seem to get a link to that info online - maybe someone else knows what they are?

The following programme for the day was published on the ClareFM www.clare.fm
    news section in the last few days:

Muhammad Ali - Itinerary

26 August, 2009 - 15:57
    • On this Tuesday 1st September 2009, a Civic Reception will take place in Waterpark House, Drumbiggle, Ennis, before Mr. Ali embarks on a drive through the town, the birthplace of his great grandfather Abe O'Grady.
    A number of public events marking his visit to Ennis will take place throughout Ennis on the day.
    ITINERARY:
    • All Day - Muhammad Ali Exhibition, at Glor Irish Music Centre
    • 1.00-3.30pm - Public event at Abbey Street Car Park
    • 3.00pm - Civic Reception at Waterpark House, Drumbiggle (Muhammad Ali will embark on drive through Ennis town following this event). Please note that the Civic Reception is a closed event.
    • 3.00-4.30pm - Street entertainment at O'Connell Square, Abbey St. and O'Connell St.
    • 3.15-4.30pm - Live entertainment, Temple Gate Plaza
    • 3.15-4.30pm - Live entertainment, Turnpike
    • 3.00pm (free admission), 8.00pm (ticketed only) - Showing of 'When We Were Kings' at Glor Irish Music Centre. Proceeds in aid of The Parkinson's Association Of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Hawk Wing

There are some amount of gob****es crawling out of the woodwork for this gombeenfest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭croker95

Hawk Wing wrote: »
    There are some amount of gob****es crawling out of the woodwork for this gombeenfest

Besides politicians, obviously, give some examples.......I haven't been paying much attention...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

1. Black wannabee white rappers
    2. Itinerants

But I think the biggest crowd will be the normal people of Ennis, plus the 1000s of other middle class folk expected to desend on the town for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Who are the black wannabe white rappers? I do a bit of rapping but I won't be attending.

Not all rappers are wiggers. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Hawk Wing wrote: »

We won't be seeing you so Hawk Wing? Pity, it should be a fantastic occasion to see the greatest living legend in the world in our town.
    Roll on Tuesday! Hopefully the rain stays away for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

He's going for tea with 200 of his mates in Dromoland at three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

im thinkin of coming to ennis for this but will we get a glimpse of the great man at all? it appears the civic reception is a private event at 3 and then he will be in the car for the drive through the town so i wonder would the best thing be to head out to turnpike?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/events/story.asp?EID=6824

Traffic restrictions in Ennis as per A.A.

BBC, Sky News and EuroNews all wandering around Abbey St this morning. Stage also looks the business. Hope the weather plays ball !:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭seany2929

Seen him very briefly at The Height earlier,nice story for the grandchildren:D town was fairly frantic!

There was some crowd around allright. I just saw him in the car. If I had known he was going to be out for so long in the turnpike I would have gone there.
    Sky News are showing it frequently this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

It was flippin' packed!
    Thougt the entertainment was great craic in abbey street carpark.
    Fair play to the guy in the wheelchair singing the rose of lclre.
    Enjoyed it :).

The woman giving marty all the details of herself like her address, phone number etc was very funny! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Sorry I missed hm but proud to call this legend one of our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Saw him at Dromoaland. Poor guy. Was a puppet for the corporations. Didn't even talk. Still, I saw the man himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Anyone care to explain what he actually became? Some honourary freeman or something? What is that? :confused:

Anyone care to explain what he actually became? Some honourary freeman or something? What is that? :confused:

Kinda complicated. He is the first person to be awarded the honour in Ennis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_the_City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Sky News said this title entitles him to free parking in Ennis :eek: so that's Eur 1.20 an hour saved.

I would've thought it was free in a disabled spot anyway ! So bad deal for Mr Ali.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

The politicians at his side were an embarassment to us all - Timmy Dooley, Peter Considine, Tommy brennan, John Flynn.

buck65 wrote: »
    The politicians at his side were an embarassment to us all - Timmy Dooley, Peter Considine, Tommy brennan, John Flynn.

Local politicians always seem about 20 years behind the times! None of them are Barack Obama but honestly, they didn't come across too badly, I thought. The welcome from the people of Ennis was so genuine that it put a great feeling on the day. I hope to God though, in time to come, we don't find out that Muhammad Ali wasn't as some poster wrote here 'a cash cow' for the corporations. Alltech, the animinal feed/nutrition giant which brought him here and which set up the foundation in his and their name to give educational aid to needy kids certainly gets monumental publicity from the fundraising trip to Dublin and the personal one to Ennis. Was it really necessary for them to get their name on the plaque in Turnpike??? Reading Pat Flynn's piece in the Indo yesterday, they seem to have a heavy hand in dictating his handling even over and above Ali's family's wishes. Jesus, you'd hope that man is able to exercise his own will still.

• Advertisement

Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Greenacres

Did anyone hear the reason why there wasn't full broadcast of audio of the ceremony in the council buildings was because the council sold the rights for any such ceremony to an american network?

Greenacres wrote: »
    Did anyone hear the reason why there wasn't full broadcast of audio of the ceremony in the council buildings was because the council sold the rights for any such ceremony to an american network?

Listen, if someone on the Council managed to get some shekels by flogging rights to an American network of an audio feed of an address by Frankie Neylon, then fair dues!

Pat Flynn's article in the Indo yesterday said full feed to many UK networks and those from further afield of the ceremony at Waterpark House was promised but withdrawn by Alltech minutes before the ceremony and that the local authority had gradually lost control of the event and suggested that Alltech even overruled the promises made by Ali's representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Greenacres

Teadrinker wrote: »
    Listen, if someone on the Council managed to get some shekels by flogging rights to an American network of an audio feed of an address by Frankie Neylon, then fair dues!

When you put it like that! lol, they were robbed.

Well, what I was told was that when it was first revealed about his heritage 7 years ago, the council were offered money to sign over the rights(visual and audio) to any ceremony by an american network. So in order to keep within the agreement they couldn't make a full broadcast of ceremony on Tuesday. I'll see if I can find out if there is any truth to it, and if so how much!

Teadrinker wrote: »
    Was it really necessary for them to get their name on the plaque in Turnpike???

If thats true its bloody disgraceful !:mad:

croker95 wrote: »
    If thats true its bloody disgraceful !:mad:

The English language half of the plaque reads, and its in caps.,

To COMMEMORATE THE VIST
    OF
    "THE GREATEST" MUHAMMAD ALI
    TO HIS ANCESTRAL HOME
    OF HIS GREAT GRANDFATHER
    ABE GRADY
    AND THE LAUNCH OF THE ALLTECH MUHAMMAD ALI CENTRE
    GLOBAL EDUCATION
    AND CHARITABLE FUND
    CLLR. FRANKIE NEYLON
    MAYOR OF ENNIS
    I SEPTEMBER 2009

Now, the launch of the centre had nothing at all to do with the visit to Ennis, but I guess if it could be appealed to for funds to finance some special needs teachers for the kids in Clare with learning disabilities who went back to school this week to find that they no longer had help because of the government cut backs, it might justify the corporation getting its name in.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Why so?

Timmy Dooley with his arm around Ali at the Turnpike? Come on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Timmy Dooley with his arm around Ali at the Turnpike? Come on

I'm surprised that Timmy "the saviour of Shannon airport" Dooley didn't try a bit of shadow boxing with Ali.

funnyname wrote: »
    I'm surprised that Timmy "the saviour of Shannon airport" Dooley didn't try a bit of shadow boxing with Ali.

Ali would still kick his ass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

Sky News said this title entitles him to free parking in Ennis :eek: so that's Eur 1.20 an hour saved.

I would've thought it was free in a disabled spot anyway ! So bad deal for Mr Ali.
    I think he can also bring his herd of sheep through the town with no repecussion. If i ever get made a free man of a town i am going to do that

Advertisement