Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circular Saw

Options
  • 28-08-2009 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

hi all

I am looking to buy a circular saw and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? From what I see on the web Ryobi is a decent enough brand and looking in woodies they have this but i am not too bothered about having the combi drill as i have one already (which is crap and i really should get a new one so i am not averse to the idea)

Just wondering if anyone knew anywhere in cork that might have this and be cheaper - or any cheaper alternatives?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

try careys they often have good deals. got a great bosch saw there a few months back for 100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

You need to ask yourself what you will be using it for. For the occasional DIYer I don't think a lot of cordless tools are a good idea as the batteries give out long before they should due to under use. Also the cutting depth or power of a battery saw is never going to be that great, but can't recommend an altenative atm as I rarely use a circular saw, hand saw, tennon saw, mitre saw, bench saw and jigsaw get used lots. I did notice there was a very nice Hitachi on offer in a few places but that was a big (expensive) brute can't remember the model number and I looked at the corded Ryobi circular saw recently in Woddies and it looked good for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

ttm wrote: »
    You need to ask yourself what you will be using it for. For the occasional DIYer I don't think a lot of cordless tools are a good idea as the batteries give out long before they should due to under use. Also the cutting depth or power of a battery saw is never going to be that great, but can't recommend an altenative atm as I rarely use a circular saw, hand saw, tennon saw, mitre saw, bench saw and jigsaw get used lots. I did notice there was a very nice Hitachi on offer in a few places but that was a big (expensive) brute can't remember the model number and I looked at the corded Ryobi circular saw recently in Woddies and it looked good for the price.

Yeah i would be looking at corded tbh - not bothered about the cordless part at all. Don't have room for a bench so looking for something that will give me a better straight cut than a jigsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

hitachi 7 inch skill saw imo the best ,should be about 130

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Yeah i would be looking at corded tbh - not bothered about the cordless part at all. Don't have room for a bench so looking for something that will give me a better straight cut than a jigsaw.

A circular saw won't go in a straight line itself. You will still have to clamp a length of 2x1 to the sheet and use it as a fence. It will however cut much quicker than a jigsaw. Definitely don't get a cordless one because on the rare occasion you need it, it will be dead. I have a black&decker one, does the job grand, plenty of power but the cutting depth of 55mm is a bit too little if I am honest.

Be warned though, they can be very dangerous, always watch what you are cutting and where you are cutting it, and make sure there is nothing caught in the guard.

• Advertisement

Jigsaw is the work of the Devil! But still we use them.

Just bumped into this http://diydata.com/tool/circular-saw/circular-saw.php might be helpful, good basic stuff includiing useage and safety.

Edit> Don't forget to checkout B&Q they have a good range including some professional saws to compare the DIY ones with. One good thing with B&Q is their returns policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have this and have found it to be a great saw, plenty of grunt and big enough to cut most anything that I need to.
    This hitachi is also good value and seems to be a bit more powerful the Makita I have.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have this and have found it to be a great saw, plenty of grunt and big enough to cut most anything that I need to.
    This hitachi is also good value and seems to be a bit more powerful the Makita I have.

Had to fiddle around to get the Hitachi link to work but of the two it is the one I'd go for. Don't like the base on that Makita. Most Hitachi's I've seen have a heavier more solid base with better height/angle adjustment leavers. I'm sure the Makita would be grand just like the Hitachi more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

thanks for the advice all - was in b+q yesterday and decided that i might as well start of with a cheap one to get a feel for what I need it for / looking for in a more expensive one - they had 15% off your bill over 50 quid so only ended up costing me 23 euro or something, don't expect it to last forever but at least when I go and buy a decent one I will know what I am looking for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement