Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A PS3 owner wanting an opinion...

• 28-08-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

I've read here http://www.rte.ie/ie/entertainmentgaming/entry/can_the_ps3_become_the that the 360 has a 52% failure rate. 52%... that's awful.

I just want to know, is this stat accurate, and if so how do you justify buying something that has a 1 in 2 chance of dying well before it's shelf-life should expire?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Scráib wrote: »
    I've read here http://www.rte.ie/ie/entertainmentgaming/entry/can_the_ps3_become_the that the 360 has a 52% failure rate. 52%... that's awful.

I just want to know, is this stat accurate, and if so how do you justify buying something that has a 1 in 2 chance of dying well before it's shelf-life should expire?

I bought a 360 2 years ago and havent had any problems with it. I previously had ps1 then ps2. I went through 3 "launch playstation 2's". It annoyed me, but sony replaced them free of charge. if my xbox breaks down, microsoft will replace it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

go back under your bridge and bothering goats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Fairly sure that stat is for launch 360s, it's much improved now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

are you planning on buying one, i don't think id rely on rte for my gaming news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

amacachi wrote: »
    Fairly sure that stat is for launch 360s, it's much improved now.

+ 1 - things are pretty different now. Even if your console fails, the well publicized issues like the infamous RROD are covered by a 3 year warranty, which is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

After 2 and a half years my 360 has yet to RRoD. My PS1 on the other hand died of laser failure and I went through 2 PS2's with laser problems. I'd actually say the PS2 has a similar failure rate. I justify owning a console with such a high failure rate because the games are good. That article is a bit negative about the preformance of the 306. Sure the price drop is going to mean a big sales jump in PS3 uptake, especially in ireland but it won't mean the 360 is dead and buried. I see it still being pretty much neck and neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

I spoke to somebody who said it took 6 weeks to get the repaired 360 back. Anybody else have this experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

glaston wrote: »
    I spoke to somebody who said it took 6 weeks to get the repaired 360 back. Anybody else have this experience?

Mine was back in 2 weeks. I bought mine second hand, so I wasn't surprised when it RRoD'd. At least MS fixed it when it went. My Ps2 ended up in the bottom of the wardrobe after the disk drive failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

glaston wrote: »

Mine RRODed around Christmas last year so I was expecting a huge waiting time but it only took around 2 weeks to get it back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

i have the elite from launch date and its recently got the e74 error so its getting fixed at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Did anybody read the article...? It's embarrassing.

Also, the OP doesn't deserve a response tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Yeah I did read it just now, seems the author was aiming for one falsehood or half-truth per paragraph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Jesus lads, can you not spot a troll when you see one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

What in the namajaysus is a troll?

I should have couched the question in more diplomatic terms like 'This stat says 52% failure rate, does it actually happen that often?'

To be fair I've read the article through myself and the writer must be (like me) a big fan of the PS3. He hints at a dying Xbox when the reality is that the majority of console owners have XBoxes. Plus he completely omits the XBox price drop. So I question it's reliability.

But I am wondering about that 52% statistic. The responses so far hint that that was from the launch XBox, not from the current on sale batch. Am I right?

Cue bashing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

duploelabs wrote: »
    Jesus lads, can you not spot a troll when you see one?
    I CAN!!
    Scráib wrote: »

Hnear!
    betafrog wrote: »
    Why did you buy an overpriced console with hardly any exclusive titles worth mentioning?
    And hnear!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Yes to both but the article is well worth a read for the amusement alone! I love this bit "Can the PS3 Slim – previously and elite and exclusive piece of kit"! Typos and mistakes in the one sentence! Idiotic perfection. As apparently the PS3 slim has been around for awhile, used by the Gods of Sony as they govern us mere mortals from Mount Olympus. They divert their PSEye of Zeus from our pleas for backwards compatibility, scoff at our large overweight collossi machines and stroke their slims and laugh as the 360s warm the fiery pits of hell below. :pac:

Well at least thats what springs to mind. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

right i was...

away

(playing batman)

and missed the reported post

Thread locked cause it was started by a troll and it will be abused by trolls for the rest of its existence.

We have a thread to discuss red ring failure rates stickied at the top and you can see roughly the length of time it takes for people to get their 360's back from the posts there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement