Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master of Puppets Vs And Justice for All?

• 28-08-2009 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

Two of Metallica's best Albums, you could possibilty put Ride The Lightning in here to but overall it does not have the appeal of the latter two. Anyway, point of the thread which is one (Master or Justice) is better and why?

For me its ..And Justice of All.

Lets me make a comparision of the songs and show which does it more for me...

Battery or Blackened......Winner.......Blackened!
    master of Puppets or And Justice for All......winner......Master of Puppets
    The Thing That Should Not Be or Eye of the Beholder....winner...Eye of the Beholder
    Sanitarium or One.........Winner.......One
    Disposal hereos or The Shortest Straw......Winner....The Shortest straw
    Leper Messiah or Harvester of Sorrow.......Winner......Leper Messiah
    Orion or To Live is to Die.......Winner.....To Live is to Die
    Damage Inc or Dyers Eve...Winner.......Dyers Eve

So, for me Jusctice is the clear winner hands down 2 - 6!

I left out the Frayed Ends of Sanity as its just a stinker but is far better than the Thing that Should not be.

Master of Puppets has a lot more bass guitar and had better production than Justice which was down to the death of Cliff Burton but even with this handicap ..And Justice for All blows Master of Puppets out of the water for me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

fartmaster wrote: »

I left out the Frayed Ends of Sanity as its just a stinker

:eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This thread is sooooo wrong!

Master of Puppets is one of the greatest metal albums of all time. Ride the Lightening is almost as awesome.

For your penance, please go home and turn your stereo upto 11 and listen to Master of Puppets backwards 3 times, followed by Ride the Lightening 4 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Two of Metallica's best Albums, you could possibilty put Ride The Lightning in here to but overall it does not have the appeal of the latter two. Anyway, point of the thread which is one (Master or Justice) is better and why?

The Thing That Should Not Be or Eye of the Beholder....winner...Eye of the Beholder

I left out the Frayed Ends of Sanity as its just a stinker but is far better than the Thing that Should not be.

Master of Puppets has a lot more bass guitar and had better production than Justice which was down to the death of Cliff Burton but even with this handicap ..And Justice for All blows Master of Puppets out of the water for me!

Are u serious? Thingy is one of the best songs they've written. That riff is ****in HUGE! And just for the record, imo MOP wins by a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

faceman wrote: »

Master of Puppets is one of the greatest metal albums of all time. Ride the Lightening is almost as awesome.

For your penance, please go home and turn your stereo upto 11 and listen to Master of Puppets backwards 3 times, followed by Ride the Lightening 4 times.

Ive been into Metallica since day one. Dont get me wrong I love Master of Puppets but if you really listen to the albums you'll hear that like any great artists in their prime they try to improve on the previous album and honestly Metallica with And Justice excelled themselves, to Live is to Die IHMO is the best song Metallica ever produced, its crashing cymbals and never ending guitar solos sum up what metallica is all about.
    Are u serious? Thingy is one of the best songs they've written. That riff is ****in HUGE! And just for the record, imo MOP wins by a mile.

OHHH WEEEE OOOHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO IT AINT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭madheaded

There is actually no way you can even try to compare PuppetsvJusticevRide it's impossible each have there own qualitys and each has amazing songs i am partial to the drumming in Justice though for me the best Lars has done and Blackened is my favourite song ever even still you cant compare these albums none of these albums are better than the others they are all equally brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ive been into Metallica since day one. Dont get me wrong I love Master of Puppets but if you really listen to the albums you'll hear that like any great artists in their prime they try to improve on the previous album and honestly Metallica with And Justice excelled themselves, to Live is to Die IHMO is the best song Metallica ever produced, its crashing cymbals and never ending guitar solos sum up what metallica is all about.

I respectfully disagree! :) Metallica are a band who's image is one of no image. The genre of metal/rock they fall into has changed many times as they have released albums. RTL had a very ballady song on it that was very much a no-no back then! St. Anger has no solos.

The one constant they have is grinding riffs. although I dont know what that means! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

sorry, its MOP for me all the way!

madheaded wrote: »
    There is actually no way you can even try to compare PuppetsvJusticevRide it's impossible each have there own qualitys and each has amazing songs i am partial to the drumming in Justice though for me the best Lars has done and Blackened is my favourite song ever even still you cant compare these albums none of these albums are better than the others they are all equally brilliant

Yes you have a point but with a 'gun to your head' on this thread please make a decision!
    I respectfully disagree! :) Metallica are a band who's image is one of no image. The genre of metal/rock they fall into has changed many times as they have released albums. RTL had a very ballady song on it that was very much a no-no back then! St. Anger has no solos.

The one constant they have is grinding riffs. although I dont know what that means! :D

Metallia died after ..And Jusctice for All but done a bit a lazarus with Death Magnetic, the albums inbetween are poor roxk albums at best. Oh and the 'grinding' you pointed out in your post is just some new age crap kids spout today to try and show thats there is a difference between new metal and that of old but in reality Metal was born in the 1980's and has since tried and failed to reinvent itself, the old stuff is the best!!!! :pac:

Yes you have a point but with a 'gun to your head' on this thread please make a decision!

Metallia died after ..And Jusctice for All but done a bit a lazarus with Death Magnetic, the albums inbetween are poor roxk albums at best. Oh and the 'grinding' you pointed out in your post is just some new age crap kids spout today to try and show thats there is a difference between new metal and that of old but in reality Metal was born in the 1980's and has since tried and failed to reinvent itself, the old stuff is the best!!!! :pac:

Oh for f**k sake. Not this old chestnut again!??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

+1
    Best Metallica album has to be Ride the Lightning.Thread should be titile RTL versus Puppets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I prefer Master of Puppets and I think Orion is better than To Live is to Die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It's a pity you didn't do up a poll as it would be interesting to see if how many people agree with you. In my opinion Master of Puppets beats Justice For All but Ride The Lightning beats them both.

The lack of bass on Justice For All is annoying but the wierd squelchy drum sound is even more so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Metallia died after ..And Jusctice for All

Should have stopped your sentence there!!

Oh for f**k sake. Not this old chestnut again!??

Its true, after And Justice they became Rockallica they dropped the Metallica part of their name :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

So wrong! MOP is without a doubt better than AJFA.

Ive always felt AJFA was missing something (Not the bass ha) and felt too repetitive. The pigeonholed themselves IMO with trying to make technical songs and this ended in it feeling repetitive to me anyway. Where as MOP had it all. I really can't fault any of MOP.

When this comes up I always say, which would you want to listen to in full more, Master or Justice?

Master for me. I cant listen to Justice in full really.

On a final note... Blackened is king though. :)

malice_ wrote: »
    It's a pity you didn't do up a poll as it would be interesting to see if how many people agree with you. In my opinion Master of Puppets beats Justice For All but Ride The Lightning beats them both.

The lack of bass on Justice For All is annoying but the wierd squelchy drum sound is even more so.

How does one do a Poll? Like I said above the 'production' and lack of bass is the only critism I have of And Justice. RTL is a great album also but its to raw and not as polished as MOP and Justice though 'Fade to Black' for me is the best of the best 'ballet' Metallica songs

How does one do a Poll? Like I said above the 'production' and lack of bass is the only critism I have of And Justice. RTL is a great album also but its to raw and not as polished as MOP and Justice though 'Fade to Black' for me is the best of the best 'ballet' Metallica songs

AJFA is not polished at all. The production is *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Its a hard one !

A7X wrote: »
    So wrong! MOP is without a doubt better than AJFA.

Ive always felt AJFA was missing something (Not the bass ha) and felt too repetitive. The pigeonholed themselves IMO with trying to make technical songs and this ended in it feeling repetitive to me anyway. Where as MOP had it all. I really can't fault any of MOP.

When this comes up I always say, which would you want to listen to in full more, Master or Justice?

Master for me. I cant listen to Justice in full really.

On a final note... Blackened is king though. :)

Pound for pound song for song, like I said in my in my original post, And Justice is superior! MOP was before AJFA, therefore has a special place in people's hearts and thats why people say they like it more! Go home and listen to TO LIVE IS TO DIE start to finish tonight and then come back on here and edit all yer posts ha ha feckin genius of a song far better than ORION ye people are mad!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

'Ride justice for puppets' is the one for me what an amazing collection of great songs,:D seriously though cant decide!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I absolutely love AJFA, despite the terrible production. I don't think you can really compare the two on a song for song basis. It doesn't really work IMO.

I mean: Battery or Blackened? Eh, both!
    MoP or AJFA: both etc..

They're both great,great albums.

The only place where I'd really say one is better than the other is Leper Messiah and Harvester. Never too mad on Leper so I prefer Harvester.

Orion and To Live is To Die are both equally amazing.

And shame on you for leaving out Frayed Ends! I would have loved if they had have actually played it this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I always felt it was 1:MOP 2:RTL 3:KEM, 4:AJFA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

No
    No
    No

The pacing of MOP is flawless,the production is outstanding.
    AJFA sounds like it was recorded in a padded cell in comparison and that Lars is playing on a tin can set.

Just no.

Dont get me wrong,AJFA isnt a bad album by any stretch but MOP is a defining moment in metal history.

Its right up there with Reign in Blood as a landmark album.

Nothing they have done since comes close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

How does one do a Poll?
    When you create a thread, just about the "Create New Thread" button is a panel labelled "Post a Poll". Tick the box and set the number of poll options. Click "Create New Thread" and you'll be taken to a screen that will allow you to enter the poll details. I don't think you can add a poll to a thread once it's been created however. At least you'll know how to do it for your next thread when you face off Kill 'Em all against Ride The Lightning or something :).
    fartmaster wrote:
    'Fade to Black' for me is the best of the best 'ballet' Metallica songs
    I can't say the prospect of James Hetfield prancing around in a leotard appeals to me but each to their own :).

When you create a thread, just about the "Create New Thread" button is a panel labelled "Post a Poll". Tick the box and set the number of poll options. Click "Create New Thread" and you'll be taken to a screen that will allow you to enter the poll details. I don't think you can add a poll to a thread once it's been created however. At least you'll know how to do it for your next thread when you face off Kill 'Em all against Ride The Lightning or something :).

I can't say the prospect of James Hetfield prancing around in a leotard appeals to me but each to their own :).

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Don't be too hard on the fella he's not too far off. AJFA is a scorcher of an album and had it been released by any number of other metal bands of the day it would have been hailed as their crowning glory.

My personal preference is AJFA > MOP, but that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

AJFA wins for me. Belter from start to finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

AJFA wins because of the more mature lyrical subject matter and because of the more lyrical exploration of songwriting

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Definitely Master of Puppets in my opinion; the guitar solos in the title track and the masterpiece that is Orion. AJFA is an excellent album song wise though.
    .....in reality Metal was born in the 1980's and has since tried and failed to reinvent itself, the old stuff is the best!!!! :pac:

I'd say metal was born well before the 1980's. Where I agree that a lot of the old stuff is great, prog and symphonic metal genres contain some excellent material
    At least you'll know how to do it for your next thread when you face off Kill 'Em all against Ride The Lightning or something :).

How about Kill 'Em All vs. Killing is my Business.....And Business is Good:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Master of Puppets for me.

Advertisement