Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Tesco Think Irish People are Fools.

• 28-08-2009 3:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

Was into one of there newly rooled out change for good stores yesterday just to check there prices and see if they had indeed reduced prices and yeah they had back to where they were in may:mad: for example in May a pack of 5 Kit Kat chunky bars was 1.30 then they rised it to 2.00 in may and now its back to 1.40, another example Tesco choc cake bars which there raised from 1.20 to 1.55 in May and now they have it at 1.30 saying change for good, do they take Irish people for fools, i always keep the price of things in my head and im able to spot the diffrence very easily, anyway yesterday i called the manager in the store and told him about it and said in no uncertain terms that i wont be shopping there again and to not think he could make a fool out of me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Was into one of there newly rooled out change for good stores yesterday just to check there prices and see if they had indeed reduced prices and yeah they had back to where they were in may:mad: for example in May a pack of 5 Kit Kat chunky bars was 1.30 then they rised it to 2.00 in may and now its back to 1.40, another example Tesco choc cake bars which there raised from 1.20 to 1.55 in May and now they have it at 1.30 saying change for good, do they take Irish people for fools, i always keep the price of things in my head and im able to spot the diffrence very easily, anyway yesterday i called the manager in the store and told him about it and said in no uncertain terms that i wont be shopping there again and to not think he could make a fool out of me.

You should have vaulted the counter and throttled him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes, consistently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

yes....next question...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

if anybody seriously thinks that Tesco are lowering prices then they deserve to be robbed.

Although in fairness I like that they do the £ = € clothing thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

They have reduced the price of full stops though, you should have bought a few whilst you were in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

All big corporations make fools out of people with their advertising. They flat out lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

i always keep the price of things in my head and im able to spot the diffrence very easily

Really?
    With a name like yours I thought you would have a different talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Maybe they only did it with chocolate bars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Tesco are a bunch of con artists.

Aldi is your only man. €20, and your shopping bag will be overflowing with items compared to being only half full in Tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jebus what bunch of moaning minnies, you have a choice. Go to Dunnes/SuperQuinn/SuperValu and get ripped off there instead.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The only reason i would ever go in there was to get bread rolls which are nice there but i used always browse around and check the prices, i will never shop there again in my Life, Lidl and Aldi and Dunnes for me with a hint of Supervalue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

You fell for it = You deserve it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

yesterday i called the manager in the store and told him about it and said in no uncertain terms that i wont be shopping there again and to not think he could make a fool out of me.

LOL. Fighting with staff.

Oh course he has to be seen to be giving a shyte, but something tells me you didn't exactly put a dent in his day. People like you come two-a-penny in shops, albeit most of them are pension age women :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

All the problems in this disgusting world and you're championing the cause of the price of 4 KitKat chunkies.

All the problems in this disgusting world and we have Jonjo championing the cause of the price of 4 KitKat chunkies.
    In fairness it's an important issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

All the problems in this disgusting world and you're championing the cause of the price of 4 KitKat chunkies.

Tesco were trying to raise the bar:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Also, they stole Unicef's "change for good" slogan. Will somebody please think of the children?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Do you buy anything other than chocolate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I dunno but I certainly do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Do you buy anything other than chocolate?

He buys the midget gems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

every little helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Stark wrote: »
    Also, they stole Unicef's "change for good" slogan. Will somebody please think of the children?

Isn't the head of Unicef in Zambia or somewhere like that a notorious paedo.
    He's really doing his bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tmdsurvey

Lads,

Tesco are a shower of w****ers, as are supervalu, dunnes, superquinn (more like supershi**te). In fairness to ALdi and Lidl they seem to be doin their best. Thank god some of us are keeping an eye on their prices. I reckon we should all head north to shop where the prices are at some level of normality, this will eventually bring prices in the Republic to realistic levels. And it will piss that c**t Brian Lenihan off who whines about us not shopping local. I would shop local if I was on his f**kin wages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

On the topic of kitkats and complaints, did the Tesco store manager not give you the finger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

has anyone noticed that their "school clothes bundle" is €15 and shows the £=€ on the TV ad, but on sky it also shows the UK tesco ad which shows the UK bundle at £10 !!! this £ doesn't = € !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You spend your spare time seeing if supermarkets lower their prices? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭J.Ball

On the topic of kitkats and complaints, did the Tesco store manager not give you the finger?

I really doubt the store manager gave a toss if he was pulling his business or not. I get that in work all the time. Not my company why would i care. I do however like kitkats :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

A user called jonjo the miser is disgusted at price variances on chocolate bars.

And i though i was a miser! Oh wait, i am! :p

Midget gems went from 51c to 35c

I bought 3 bags yesterday, they're great

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

humanji wrote: »
    You spend your spare time seeing if supermarkets lower their prices? Seriously?

No only when i go shopping for food, i have a very good memory and will spot any price increase like a hawk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

At least you're getting a free sense of consumer indignation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

phasers wrote: »

really?? i better get my ass over there! i love those things

those and the sweets that are in the shape of fruits, mmmmmm:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

tmdsurvey wrote: »
    Lads,

Tesco are a shower of w****ers, as are supervalu, dunnes, superquinn (more like supershi**te). In fairness to ALdi and Lidl they seem to be doin their best. Thank god some of us are keeping an eye on their prices. I reckon we should all head north to shop where the prices are at some level of normality, this will eventually bring prices in the Republic to realistic levels. And it will piss that c**t Brian Lenihan off who whines about us not shopping local. I would shop local if I was on his f**kin wages
    I've heard the prices in the north have gone up to take advantage of Irish shoppers in some cases. Either way I wouldn't go through the hassle of driving all the way up the north to buy the few bits that I'd be looking for.

Aldi and Lidl are definitely onto a winner, I don't see anything wrong with the quality and you don't hear any horror storeys about the companies either.

I would shop in Irish supermarkets half the time, I do like to support the locals when I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

No only when i go shopping for food, i have a very good memory and will spot any price increase like a hawk.
    Damn, for a second I thought I'd found someone with a more pathetic life than me. Ho-hum, back to the corner with me. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Biggins wrote: »
    Yes, consistently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Abigayle wrote: »
    LOL. Fighting with staff.

Oh course he has to be seen to be giving a shyte, but something tells me you didn't exactly put a dent in his day. People like you come two-a-penny in shops, albeit most of them are pension age women :pac:

That would be his cousin, Jonjo The Codger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I think you may be providing the answer in that question.
    They have a great deal going on question marks right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

gibo_ie wrote: »
    has anyone noticed that their "school clothes bundle" is €15 and shows the £=€ on the TV ad, but on sky it also shows the UK tesco ad which shows the UK bundle at £10 !!! this £ doesn't = € !!!!

http://www.valueireland.com/2009/04/why-are-tesco-really-dropping-the-price-of-clothes/

They reduced their prices on clothing in the UK, then did the €=£ thing here with the older prices, so it's still a 30-50% difference on the UK price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

:eek: You sick B**tard!

http://www.midgetgemsvideo.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

There was an article in the paper a few months back which compared Tesco prices in the border counties after they switched to UK suppliers to prices in Newry, and they were still 30% dearer even though Tesco said they getting them from the same suppliers. Even factoring in wage costs and electricity etc, the difference should have only been 10%, so behind all the 'Change for Good' bulls&%t, they were still ripping people off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Yeah they must think we are a bunch of gobshítes. I seen a billboard the other day that said something about "border prices". What border? We're an island?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Just because you don't like that border being there (and I don't either) doesn't mean there's any point pretending it's not.

This isn't an anti Irish conspiracy by Tesco by the way, they'd do it in any country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭OnTheBalls

Heres the thing. I recently got back from Germany and was disgusted that Aldi are charging 79c for 500ml of the same beer that they are selling for 23c in Munich. Was raging. THen wen't to Tesco. Bunch of robbing cnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

The only fools are those who pay the prices. I always shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

if anybody seriously thinks that Tesco are lowering prices then they deserve to be robbed.

Although in fairness I like that they do the £ = € clothing thing

Prices on goods I buy have come down and are cheaper than other supermarkets and some big savings also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tmdsurvey

OnTheBalls wrote: »
    Heres the thing. I recently got back from Germany and was disgusted that Aldi are charging 79c for 500ml of the same beer that they are selling for 23c in Munich. Was raging. THen wen't to Tesco. Bunch of robbing cnuts.

The thing is, its not just the likes of Tescos and supermarkets, its the whole bloody economy thats inflated. Cars, houses, services, wages etc.... If people are stupid enough to pay stupid prices then the markets will continue to charge them. Its startin to change a bit now as people dont have the money.....ultimately at the end of the day its down to the consumer to make themselves heard and price around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

Yes. Which is why I haven't shopped there in over 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Anonomyte

Aldi is great, good quality food and reasonable prices, as a person lucky enough to live beside both(tesco and aldi) I still find some(albeit few) items that are overpriced in aldi, as for tesco they are brilliant at the con if you dont shop regularly, pringles last week were a euro a tub, now they have a buy one get one free offer....at 1.99. Go figure.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

Anonomyte wrote: »
    Aldi is great, good quality food and reasonable prices, as a person lucky enough to live beside both(tesco and aldi) I still find some(albeit few) items that are overpriced in aldi, as for tesco they are brilliant at the con if you dont shop regularly, pringles last week were a euro a tub, now they have a buy one get one free offer....at 1.99. Go figure.:rolleyes:

I got two tubs for €1.49 in Dunnes on Thursday. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Tesco are great for buying socks. They can keep the rest of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement