Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Tesco Think Irish People are Fools.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Anyone know what price the bacon fries are? Used to be 45c for a big bag of them (pink homebrand bag), then went up to 67c. A hard day.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

NOT THE BACON FRIES!!

YOU WENT TO FAR TESCO!@! TO FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I dunno why people would shop in Tesco in the first place - the customer service is absolutely appalling, the stores can be visibly dirty and I've about 20 different friends who've worked in branches all across the country who have universally described them as being fairly... unsanitary, HAACP protocols and other QA/QC measures be damned.

(as an aside, I've worked catering and in 2 other supermarkets and I refuse to drink anything from the can, buy any bread thats not in transparent packaging and take washing any fruit or veg to an art form. I've seen how they're stored and handled... Ditto goes for any form of 'mashed potato', 'coleslaw' or 'scrambled eggs' at a buffet - they come from 5 1/2 gallon drums)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

jimi_t wrote: »
    I dunno why people would shop in Tesco in the first place - the customer service is absolutely appalling, the stores can be visibly dirty and I've about 20 different friends who've worked in branches all across the country who have universally described them as being fairly... unsanitary, HAACP protocols and other QA/QC measures be damned.

(as an aside, I've worked catering and in 2 other supermarkets and I refuse to drink anything from the can, buy any bread thats not in transparent packaging and take washing any fruit or veg to an art form. I've seen how they're stored and handled... Ditto goes for any form of 'mashed potato', 'coleslaw' or 'scrambled eggs' at a buffet - they come from 5 1/2 gallon drums)

Because they are now cheaper on certain branded goods than other supermarkets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

jimi_t wrote: »

True True my local Tesco which i realy and now will never go to anyymore has the worst customer service ive ever seen, the staff will actually stare challenge you, ive never seen the like, plus the store is about 5 years old but its filthy and its all tesco own brand much that i wouldnt feed to a cat Just in case the ISPCC were called, then you take my local Aldi adn Lidle and there the best, great customer service with a smile plus the same can be said for my local Supervalue who are very friendly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Was into one of there newly rooled out change for good stores yesterday just to check there prices and see if they had indeed reduced prices and yeah they had back to where they were in may:mad: for example in May a pack of 5 Kit Kat chunky bars was 1.30 then they rised it to 2.00 in may and now its back to 1.40, another example Tesco choc cake bars which there raised from 1.20 to 1.55 in May and now they have it at 1.30 saying change for good, do they take Irish people for fools, i always keep the price of things in my head and im able to spot the diffrence very easily, anyway yesterday i called the manager in the store and told him about it and said in no uncertain terms that i wont be shopping there again and to not think he could make a fool out of me.

Jonjo,

That is very conceivable. See this thread from last May:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055564837

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

go up to nerwy once a month by a months shopping save yourself 300euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 demac71

I have just started going to Tesco's and find them cheaper than Dunnes. I used to do the Newrythig once a month and it was cheaper for baby food and nappies. But that was only when you were getting 90p plus for your euro. Plus the stuff in Tescos has generally got cheaper. Only problem is a lot of their stuff is British sourced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jim236 wrote: »
    There was an article in the paper a few months back which compared Tesco prices in the border counties after they switched to UK suppliers to prices in Newry, and they were still 30% dearer even though Tesco said they getting them from the same suppliers. Even factoring in wage costs and electricity etc, the difference should have only been 10%, so behind all the 'Change for Good' bulls&%t, they were still ripping people off.

Exchange rates are over 10% alone!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

I went to Tesco (Wilton, Cork) and then straight afterwards I went to Dunnes (Bishopstown, Cork) and Dunnes was considerably cheaper.

F*ck Tesco.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Plenty of folk who buy the same thing frequently in Tesco have found a big price drop in a good chunk of their items. Some have reported increases in other products though. Also, compared with Super Value and often Dunnes, they come out cheaper on a lot of things. Lidl/Aldi are cheaper again, but if you are looking for branded products then they are no good. I prefer Tesco as I find it cheaper and generally easier to shop in. So I mix between Tesco/Lidl. SuperQuinn is expensive but often has some very good deals. Find their stores nice also.

I think people should be pleased we have Tesco here - its driving competition big time. Their "Change For Good" has all other supermarkets rushing around dropping prices and even in the past its been the same. Including Lidl and Aldi.

In general, I have found all the Tescos in Tramore & Waterford to be very clean and good stores. Same in New Ross for example. Always being given mini-renovations (probably some marketing thing), even the Tramore store hardly open a year was recently re-jigged. We have two very old Tescos here in Waterford, one which is closed for renovation and the other I assume is waiting until the complex itself is knocked. Never very dirty though.

Since Tesco opened up in Tramore we have had our local supermarket completely renovate their store and car park, drop their prices and start offering some other products. Competition has increased big time here. Big difference in our pockets across the board, without them (and others) we would still be paying completely over the odds prices.

Your also forgetting that Tesco frequently compare popular products with Dunnes and show the big difference in price. They do similar with Lidl but often Lidl fire back pointing out their quality is better compared with the same Tesco brand etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sully wrote: »
    I think people should be pleased we have Tesco here - its driving competition big time. Their "Change For Good" has all other supermarkets rushing around dropping prices and even in the past its been the same. Including Lidl and Aldi.
    While Ireland badly needed a kick in the hole when it came to pricing and competition I really don't like the race to the bottom that stores like tescos create. I'm a meat eater and have no problem with hunting but I don't think animals should suffer a miserable life for our benefit. I don't think farmers should be forced to produce low quality food for next to zero profit either. In the end everyone suffers but the likes of Tescos.

I realise that's the nature of business and it's probably up to the EU to try and enforce food quality and animal right issues on food produced in the EU and also on food that we import. Cheap food affects everything from people to wildlife and the environment and supermarkets need to be watched and regulated better.

Advertisement