Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

science degree

• 28-08-2009 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hey, i'm starting at nuim next month and i'm just wondering if anyone who has done or is doing a level 8 honours science degree at maynooth could tell me a bit about the structure of the timetable.. like is it a 9-5 thing and is the course really intense, requiring a lot of after hours library time??

anything you can tell me about the course would be really helpful, thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭xochillixo

cant tell u anything myself othr then im doin 1st yr science also (psychology thru science) so il b seeing ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭nothing

Last years timetable : http://www.maths.nuim.ie/staff/dredmond/timetable/1SCIENCE.html

Pick out your 4 subjects, then add lab hours (about 2-3 per lab subject) and tutorial hours (1 - 2 per subject)

It's not a heavy course load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pakblue

You will have a Monday to Friday week unlike them pesky Arts students who only do Monday to Thursday.

You will have a lot more hours as well but the one good thing I found with Science was most of your work is done in the Labs while them Arts students bring loads of work home with them.

You also get an extra year of the Maynooth partying experience ;) not that you will have any time to enjoy it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Doyle_G

I just finished the level 8 science degree in Maynooth! First yr is tough going especially with 4 subjects and labs too... your timetable really depend on your chosen subjects. I was only in for 3 hours on fridays for a chemistry lab but the other 4 days where pretty fulll. you just need to manage your subjects and do the sujects which you have an interest in. :D also another thing that's strange is you've noone looking over your shoulder making sure you do your work. Just make sure you don't leave all your study to the week before exams!! You only relise how important your exams for ALL your years are when it's way too late! when applying for a masters, they look at all your results not just your 4th year results!! If i'd have know this when i started in nuim, I'd have done my 4 years soooo differently (altho i did got my masters) :) hope this helps! any other questions, just ask :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 clairemm

thanks doyle, legend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

pakblue wrote: »
    You will have a Monday to Friday week unlike them pesky Arts students who only do Monday to Thursday.
    Lies, all lies! I, as an Arts student, had five nine o'clock starts while a science student friend of mine spent his mornings in bed and had Fridays off. That said, though, Science students tend to have a larger amount of hours, but you don't get big essays and crap to do.
    Pretty swish, I'd say. =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

How so Joe wrote: »
    Lies, all lies! I, as an Arts student, had five nine o'clock starts while a science student friend of mine spent his mornings in bed and had Fridays off. That said, though, Science students tend to have a larger amount of hours, but you don't get big essays and crap to do.
    Pretty swish, I'd say. =)

The Timetable usually has some give and take and if you choose your subjects wisely, you can certainly get away with a few late starts. but it depends on the subjects your doing, for the 3 subjects you pick you will have 3 hours of lectures per subject and that usually is paired with 3 hours of labs or tutorials, then you have maths which you have to do and involves 3 hours of lectures, 1 hour tutorial and assignments every week.

The time table takes some getting used to.

Advertisement