Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Situation with Master's and Tutoring?

Options
  • 28-08-2009 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I'm about to start my master's in UCD and I've been hearing a little bit from other people about opportunities to tutor while studying. Does anyone know any more about this, has anyone done it? I think it'd be a handy way to make a few extra bob if it's doable!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I think most schools would have advertised and filled their tutorial positions for the firs semester, but you might get something in the second semester. However, some schools don't allow MA students to tutor.

If you are thinking of applying to tutor, you need to be fully aware of what's required of you. Yes, the pay rate per hour is good (about 31 if you don't have an MA, 41 if you have an MA), but you have to take into account how much preparation you have to do for each class, the number of assignments you have to correct, replying to students' queries and meeting students to return assignments.

Tutoring is a good experience, but you have to take the impact it may have on your own studies into consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭01mirelly

ClauClau wrote: »
    I'm about to start my master's in UCD and I've been hearing a little bit from other people about opportunities to tutor while studying. Does anyone know any more about this, has anyone done it? I think it'd be a handy way to make a few extra bob if it's doable!

yes i did my masters and was a first year tutor. It depends on your school though! If they take on master students as tutors you should ask about it. I was asked to be a tutor as not everybody in your masters class will be asked to do it, but again it depends on your subject department. so my advise would be to, go in and ask who ever is organising tutorials or your course coordinator. Hope this helps

Usually the tutorials will be already laid out for you. I did not find it that time consuming. The correcting takes a bit of time but the money is great. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

convert wrote: »
    If you are thinking of applying to tutor, you need to be fully aware of what's required of you. Yes, the pay rate per hour is good (about 31 if you don't have an MA, 41 if you have an MA), but you have to take into account how much preparation you have to do for each class, the number of assignments you have to correct, replying to students' queries and meeting students to return assignments.

That is some wage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ClauClau

The wage is tempting! =P It's the experience I'd be looking for though as well, as it is something I'd like to pursue in the future. I've emailed the coordinator so here's hoping!

Advertisement