Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drama on Parnell Street

• 28-08-2009 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭

A window in an office block somehow got smashed and lots of glass fell to the street below. In one instance a lump of it very narrowly missed a passing woman. The screams of the woman alerted the guys in Peats who called the Fire Brigade. The half broken window was blowing with the wind and showering folks with broken glass in the street below.

Below are some photos from the scene:

3864540007_fdc0b02688.jpg

The window in question.

3864543619_2f7125e87a.jpg

The Fire Brigade springing into action. (Needs to be brightened I know)

3864545911_de5d0cba67.jpg

Getting ready to head up.

3865339298_3d0e58dc15.jpg

There were plenty of onlookers and plenty of eejits who the fire brigade had to tell to stand back in case of falling glass. Thankfully these folk had some sense and stayed well away.

3865343404_fc17cd3838.jpg

There wasn't much for these guys to do as part of the area was cordoned off.

3865344884_629b5249b4.jpg

Checking their gear.

3865356524_de9ffe167c.jpg

And he's on his way.

3865358218_21907ca7ce.jpg

He had to go up twice as the first time his pick axe style tool was too short and he had to come down for a longer tool.

3864577835_b5740decbe.jpg

And away it goes.

3864579631_1d1d4a6cd0.jpg

3865368334_23c7a7457d.jpg

It's not everyday you see the Fire Brigade outside your office window.

3864588627_ce9feaef87.jpg

On his way down for the longer tool.

3865376126_fc414831fe.jpg

There was plenty of traffic disruption.

3864594107_b2247233c2.jpg

Shards of glass littered the footpath.

3865379436_02c26ae2fd.jpg

Back at it again.

At this point my batteries died! Full set on Flickr here for anyone who might be interested.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

My apologies for the quality of the photos. I'm really not comfortable with street photography particuarly where there is a big crowd and I was the only one with a DSLR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

told the story well I think, wonder what broke the glass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tonykinlan

Was there any other photographers there?, because If not you should defo send the pics into the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

^ agreed
    They are some great shots and told really well too, well done :0

As for the glass, I'd say bird, since the first layer is intact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Tonykinlan wrote: »
    Was there any other photographers there?, because If not you should defo send the pics into the papers.

My work colleagues mentioned I should do this. I'm going to have a look here as to what I should say in my email but in case I don't find the info I need would someone mind giving me an idea of what I should say, how many images I should email etc.

Many thanks for the kind words folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

some nice shots kintaro. should try the papers with them, id imagine they would be very interested, defo the herald!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Nisio wrote: »
    told the story well I think, wonder what broke the glass

Bad install by the looks of it, its toughened glass so something must have pressed against the edge of the glass inside the frame to cause it to break. Should have been toughened laminated units. going to be costly to replace that unit !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Tallon wrote: »
    ^ agreed
    They are some great shots and told really well too, well done :0

As for the glass, I'd say bird, since the first layer is intact

I cant imagine a bird doing that, would prob just bounce of it.
    a pigeon dived and then didnt get enough lift to clear my friends kitchen window, no breakage.

even at higher speed against toughened glass it should not do any damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

a shot from a rifle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

champagne cork after closing a big deal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Thanks for that OP. Loved the way you told the story and the clarity of the photos were great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I cant imagine a bird doing that, would prob just bounce of it.
    a pigeon dived and then didnt get enough lift to clear my friends kitchen window, no breakage.

even at higher speed against toughened glass it should not do any damage

Oh no, I meant a D4 bird :P

Advertisement