Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Feel Like Social Network Sites Have Changed Politics

Options
  • 28-08-2009 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I am a student on the masters in Marketing course in DIT. I am investigating the phenomenon of political marketing through Web 2.0 technology (Facebook, Twitter, Bebo, Boards.ie!!). If you have any interest in politics at all, or indeed just Facebook / Twitter etc could you please lend me 2 minutes to complete my survey?

No personal details are asked and the results are anonymous and will be used for my Thesis only! It only takes 2 minutes and is very easy to complete! Just click on the link below and it will bring you to my questionnaire!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=3N_2fxYSJNl4lIhyYo0GW5kA_3d_3d

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help me out!

Ro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭synd

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I am a student on the masters in Marketing course in DIT. I am investigating the phenomenon of political marketing through Web 2.0 technology (Facebook, Twitter, Bebo, Boards.ie!!). If you have any interest in politics at all, or indeed just Facebook / Twitter etc could you please lend me 2 minutes to complete my survey?

No personal details are asked and the results are anonymous and will be used for my Thesis only! It only takes 2 minutes and is very easy to complete! Just click on the link below and it will bring you to my questionnaire!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=3N_2fxYSJNl4lIhyYo0GW5kA_3d_3d

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help me out!

Ro

Your survey is largely skewed towards party politics - political movements are today increasingly built around NGOs seeing as faith in the political establishment is decreasing esp in the urban centers. Additionally many movements are sub-sections of parties ie. fronts esp far left within the cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Firstly, thank you for filling out the survey!

Thank you for the feedback also. The survey was designed based on literature and research from the marketing field relating to the development of relationships between commercial organisations and customers. It is referred to as relationship marketing and is based on the premise that if key relational anticedents are fulfilled (such as relationship trust, commitment etc) then organisations can develop long term profitable relationships with customers. To date the theory has been explored from the context of non profit organisations however the relationship marketing framework has never been examined from a political organisation perspective.

While I understand the political landscape goes far beyond the main parties in government this project has to be completed over a 4 month period, therefore I have had to limit the scope of the research to deal with political parties and their use of Web 2.0 in developing relationships. It is descriptive research only and is not intended to be causal or conclusive.

Again thanks for giving the survey your time and the feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

synd wrote: »
    Your survey is largely skewed towards party politics - political movements are today increasingly built around NGOs seeing as faith in the political establishment is decreasing esp in the urban centers. Additionally many movements are sub-sections of parties ie. fronts esp far left within the cities.

I would also suggest that some of the more established political parties are less reliant on such means due to such voters tendencies to remain within party voting patterns (and possibly age?). Established parties, I would think, would treat it more as a secondary communication support, whereas they may function as a practical organizing tool for minority groups.

Also, many grassroots movements who may feature importantly in the public sphere as pressure groups are not considered. I'm just going by my own experience, but it appears as if such groups are far more visible and active on networking sites than those included in your choices. You could argue the extent to which such interests are excluded by the existing voting/party structure, but they should factor into any operative concept of 'politics'.

If it is possible at this stage, I would suggest you put some sort of screening statement at the start stating that future answers will depend on some level of engagement with a political party. As it is, you could end up with a large volume of 'uncertain', which doesn't bode well for analysis.
    Roro4Brit wrote: »
    The survey was designed based on literature and research from the marketing field relating to the development of relationships between commercial organisations and customers. It is referred to as relationship marketing and is based on the premise that if key relational anticedents are fulfilled (such as relationship trust, commitment etc) then organisations can develop long term profitable relationships with customers. To date the theory has been explored from the context of non profit organisations however the relationship marketing framework has never been examined from a political organisation perspective.

Are you treating the party as commercial organization and voter as customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭S-Murph

I began the survey but could only go so far. I dont support any 'mainstream' political organisation and my choice has been limited to "Independent Candidate" or "I dont Know". what happened to the 'other' button?

• Advertisement
Advertisement