Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towing horsebox with detachable towbar

Options
  • 28-08-2009 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

has anyone ever towed a horsebox with a detachable towbar? Our 2001 4x4 has a brinksmatic classic detachable towbar but I can't find the max towing weight on the bar itself. Their website doesn't give tech info either though some documentation I found says the towbar can take up to 2000kg which is ok for my needs. Its just that I thought I remember someone saying it wasn't recommended to tow a horsebox with a detachable hitch.

Does anyone out their have personal experience of this? Up till now we've been towing a small trailer so it wasn't an issue but it will be in the future so I'd rather change it now if thats necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have no experience of it but would it not be quite easy to replace the detachable towbar with a fixed one? I cant imagine that would be very expensive.

That said, if it takes two tonnes and you're towing less than two tonnes you should be ok. But there is an awful lot of strain at the point of the towbar and erring on the side of caution could be no bad thing.

My newly fitted towbar was close to detaching itself a few weeks ago. The nuts had worked loose. I was glad I noticed it, could have been nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Socos

I have towed a double horsebox with one horse onboard around the country with a detachable tow bar never had any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pinfired

hi, I use to have a vw touareg which had the detachable towbar, and I did not like it at all,ther was a constant knocking out of it when towing the horsebox,both when I had horses in it and without.
    I changed the touareg for a landcruiser,which is more suitable for pulling!
    if you want to keep the jeep i would advise putting on a proper towbar which is bolted on to the jeep!
    basically I wouldnt trust the detachable towbar!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I have detatchable towbars on two vehicles and no problems. Used them loads of times, but we don't ever seem to un-attach them. That was the type of towbar that came with the vehicle.

Advertisement