Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few Questions

Options
  • 28-08-2009 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

Right, Im going into second year Arts, carrying over with me 2 repeats and 1 resit, and I've a few questions to ask you more experienced citizens of UCD that I hope ya can help me with.

1) For pure clarification purposes, the difference between a resit, and a repeat is...? My understanding is the repeat is where you take the whole class again, where as a resit you just do a once off assignment?

2) My registration is messed up as it seems. On my timetable, are the 2 repeats and my electives that I've chosen. No core modules have appeared nor am I being given the choice to pick my them anywhere. Could this be due to the fact that I have repeats, or maybe not having paid the fee's as of yet?

3) Do I have to pass these 3 classes before progressing into Stage 2, by this I mean do I do these 3 on their own until Christmas, pass them, then begin Stage 2 then, or just take them as 'extra' subject during Semester 1 this year?

4) If I've to contact the Program Office, does anyone know the opening hours so that I could ring and which number in particular? (theres loads on the BA contact page) Would they be open now for instance?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

:o:D:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Right, Im going into second year Arts, carrying over with me 2 repeats and 1 resit, and I've a few questions to ask you more experienced citizens of UCD that I hope ya can help me with.

1) For pure clarification purposes, the difference between a resit, and a repeat is...? My understanding is the repeat is where you take the whole class again, where as a resit you just do a once off assignment?

2) My registration is messed up as it seems. On my timetable, are the 2 repeats and my electives that I've chosen. No core modules have appeared nor am I being given the choice to pick my them anywhere. Could this be due to the fact that I have repeats, or maybe not having paid the fee's as of yet?

3) Do I have to pass these 3 classes before progressing into Stage 2, by this I mean do I do these 3 on their own until Christmas, pass them, then begin Stage 2 then, or just take them as 'extra' subject during Semester 1 this year?

4) If I've to contact the Program Office, does anyone know the opening hours so that I could ring and which number in particular? (theres loads on the BA contact page) Would they be open now for instance?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! :D

1. repeat is taking the whole class (assignments & final exam), resit is just taking the final exam

2. ask your programme office asap

3. not sure how it works in arts, but in science you'd have to pass all the stage 1 modules to get into stage 3, you can carry over into stage 2 but not 3.

4. the time would be regular office 9-5 mon-fri hours i assume. don't know about the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I thought that resits are held immediately after failed exams/assignments and not carried into next year.

It would be easier, I imagine, if your repeats are just in one of your Arts subjects - but I guess that you aren't that lucky :o. Although you are in a good position if you are able to progress to second year -at all-... I know many who have had to repeat the entire year.

It should be possible to take on extra credits to compromise for lack of credits from last year (if you were succeful in completing 50 credits last year you should, theoretically, be able to take 70 credits this year... might be some fee implications, mind you).

If you want to contact the Programme Office for Arts as a whole (reccomended) get there early. It is a real bitch to get anything out of any School or Programme Office and Arts is one of the worst (Computer Science is probably the worst).

At least you aren't like me, in a registration limbo!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Don't assume that resits are exams - they can be any assessment the lecturer wants. If the info is not online then you should contact the Module Coordinator to find out what the resit assessment is. It's not their responsibility to contact you.

You can't go into the next stage till you have at least 50 credits, so if you've failed 3 modules, you won't progress. I think you can still take modules from the next stage, but you might have to ask the programme office to register you to them. If you pass your resit/repeat modules by the end of this semester, then you go into the next stage in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Thanks for the replies guys.

Should I go into UCD tomorrow or try calling them? The place will be packed out with 1st years and orientation groups, let alone the Arts office most likely being jammed with 1st years with questions!?

Would I save myself time and alot of stress by just calling tem and sorting it over the phone?

Anyone got the number I'll need?

• Advertisement
Advertisement