Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cóir - Good God, What are they good for?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

This debate is quite entertaining, the Coir guy is getting destroyed.

is there a link available online to listen, i missed it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

ei.sdraob wrote: »

RTE usually post RealPlayer recordings of their shows on their website within 24 hours, so maybe just check there later. This particular debate was right at the start of the show, so it'll be easy to find.

[off-topic]The other debate (the two farmer orgs.) was later in the show, about an hour and a half in. I only half listened to that, but one thing I did catch was the No side debater completely messing up a reply about what direct changes he feared between Lisbon and Nice. It was the most tongue-tied, unconvincing reply I think I've ever heard as regards the treaty.[/off-topic]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

I don't think Kenny showed any bias. He challenged nonsense claims. He also challenged Roche, but Roche was able to deal with the challenge, so the discussion simply moved along.
    Yeah, I agree with that. My point about the BCI rules was that Kenny seemed to have more lee-way in not having to give much consideration to the nonsense spouted by Murphy (the Coir guy). Of course I may have imagined it. But I would hope that this is the effect of the clarification in the BCI rules: nonsense arguments don't have to be given more weight than they deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Coir have officially launched their campaign today.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0831/1224253511501.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

However, Cóir spokesman Richard Greene said Mr Martin’s comments were “a pathetic attempt to smear the Cóir campaign and smacked of desperation”, as he was aware Cóir’s canvassers were having an impact.

“When will the Minister realise that voters have no problem with either Cóir’s pro-life stance or the fact that, while Cóir is an independent organisation, we are lucky enough to have the support and energy of some Youth Defence members?” said Mr Greene.

It would be funny if it wasn't serious.

• Advertisement

Mr Martin said
    ..the claim about the minimum wage rate of €1.84 was a distortion of the facts, as the EU does not have the power to set national minimum wage rates. “It’s a lie and it’s an untruth – their campaign is all about lies and scaremongering"

that pretty much sums it up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Whatever ones views on Cóir are, the Government obviously see them as a major threat. I agree with Richard Greene on the fact that Michael Martin's comments about Cóir smacked of pure desperation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

ei.sdraob wrote: »

http://www.rte.ie/radio/liveplayer_av.html?1,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/radio/radio1.smil

Click on Today with Pat Kenny, starts about 7 minutes in.

Whatever ones views on Cóir are, the Government obviously see them as a major threat.

I imagine they do, any organisation what will lie and cheat to win would have to be seen as a threat.
    I agree with Richard Greene on the fact that Michael Martin's comments about Cóir smacked of pure desperation.

They smack of the truth I'd suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

marco_polo wrote: »

its like those debates on evolution with creationists on youtube...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭johnl

Cóir are just another reactionary Catholic group.
    Their main draw is being anti-abortion.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Richard Greene is on Matt Cooper now. Lulz ahoy.

Robbo wrote: »
    Richard Greene is on Matt Cooper now. Lulz ahoy.

oh dear god, Coir guy couldn't answer any questions asked of him such as "why are they lying?"

edit:
    milked dry poster
    hes blaming Mandelson for WTO talks which will bring food from south america!,

edit 2:
    now dragging in fishing industry! throws a 200billion figure was raped from the seas!!

edit 3:
    where is the money for Coir coming from, where is the member list? he dodges the answer despite claiming "transparency" ....

edit 4:

Coir guy claiming 6000 jobs created because Ireland vote NO last year in direct investment according to Ernst & Young report while spain who voted Yes have 20% unemployment!

edit 5:
    asked for the nth time where is money coming from and who are the members! refuses to answer

/

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

OK ..

WhoTF are Coir ?
    WhoTF are Youth Defense ?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

OK ..

WhoTF are Coir ?
    WhoTF are Youth Defense ?

:confused:

Christian nutters, whose members consort with the far right (neo nazi's) of Italy, and Germany.

On the radio this morning, Peter Murphy admitted to being a member of YD in his earlier days.

They are the same, and share the same premisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Het-Field wrote: »
    Christian nutters, whose members consort with the far right (neo nazi's) of Italy, and Germany.

On the radio this morning, Peter Murphy admitted to being a member of YD in his earlier days.

They are the same, and share the same premisis.
    Just heard Richard Greene on Last Word. He held back a bit on who its members were but re Youth Defence he said they shared the same building.
    If we are going to dismiss them out of hand we also have to put the same facts put out by Yes campaign under scrutiny.
    And what Greene said, to dispute a fact put out by Yes Campaign, on the show was that Foreign Investment over here had in fact increased since the Lisbon treaty No vote while in Spain it had dropped.
    Clip should be up online tomorrow. Around the twenty past five mark when you click on show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Just heard Richard Greene on Last Word. He held back a bit on who its members were but re Youth Defence he said they shared the same building.
    If we are going to dismiss them out of hand we also have to put the same facts put out by Yes campaign under scrutiny.
    And what Greene said, to dispute a fact put out by Yes Campaign, on the show was that Foreign Investment over here had in fact increased since the Lisbon treaty No vote while in Spain it had dropped.
    Clip should be up online tomorrow. Around the twenty past five mark when you click on show.

Coir spokesperson Peter Murphy admitted to being a "Proud Youth Defencer" in his earlier days. Niamh Ui Bhrian was the Chairwoman of the group around 1992-1996. No To Nice leader was Justin Barrett (another former Chairperson).

They are the same, under many different names

Het-Field wrote: »
    Coir spokesperson Peter Murphy admitted to being a "Proud Youth Defencer" in his earlier days. Niamh Ui Bhrian was the Chairwoman of the group around 1992-1996. No To Nice leader was Justin Barrett (another former Chairperson).

They are the same, under many different names
    Yes I think that was mentioned already in first page. anyway interview is on last word in case anyone is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

From the SIPO list of organisations involved in the 2003 abortion referendum:

Mr. Justin Barrett,
    Mother and Child Campaign,
    60a Capel Street,
    Dublin 1.

Pro-Life Alliance,
    60a Capel Street,
    Dublin 1.

Youth Defence,
    60a Capel Street,
    Dublin 1.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Scofflaw wrote: »
    From the SIPO list of organisations involved in the 2003 abortion referendum:

Mr. Justin Barrett,
    Mother and Child Campaign,
    60a Capel Street,
    Dublin 1.

Pro-Life Alliance,
    60a Capel Street,
    Dublin 1.

Youth Defence,
    60a Capel Street,
    Dublin 1.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

It's actually a pretty common political trick. One way of making your views look like they have more support is to have them put forward by two apparently separate groups. Or in this case, three.

The other advantage is allowing for multiple levels of engagement, from that aimed at floating voters to that aimed at the most hardcore anti-abortion voter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 liberalsociety

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    What really turned me off Libertas was the Caroline Simmons connection, count me out for that.
    Youth Defence are people who I have fought with.
    They were helped by the church during abortion and divorce referendum, that is where there is a lot of money.

But in balance, the Yes side are getting funding from multinationals, if we look under those stones we will again find dirt.

And lobyists, The IIEA is run by Brendan Halligan, he also runs CIPA, a lobbyist company who have worked for the tobacco industry as one of their clients.
    Halligan fought our membership of the EEC when we joined.

Having founded the IIEA he has made hundreds of thousands of Euro from Gov depts. .e. tax payers money.

CIPA employed Andrew Byrne, founder of Generation Yes. Employees of CIPA or IIEA still do volunteer work for Gen Yes.
    But I do not associate all Gen Yes people with CIPA

COIR sould have their funding looked at, as should Gen. Yes, who gave them the plush office?

Not all of us promoting the Lisbon campaign receive corporate funding, perhaps you might be more comfortable with the liberal society which is a non aligned public advocacy group (registered with SIPO) which promotes liberal issues and progressive policies. Unlike some of the other campaigns we are stand alone, and not specifically set up for Lisbon. We have scraped by with little money but we have 278 members and we are growing. I have attached some of our poster images. We are looking for new independent minded people to join with us.

www.liberals.ie

Not all of us promoting the Lisbon campaign receive corporate funding, so perhaps you might be more comfortable with the liberal society which is a non aligned public advocacy group which promotes liberal values and progressive policies. Unlike some of the other campaigns we are stand alone, and we were not specifically set up for Lisbon and we will be around after its finished. We have scraped by with little money but we have 278 members and we are growing. I have attached some of our poster images. We are looking for new independent minded people to join with us.

www.liberals.ie

Some nice pictures of girls, but a bit underwhelming really. How about 'You could have me if you vote Yes' :)

Fair play for doing your bit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭johnl

Not all of us promoting the Lisbon campaign receive corporate funding, perhaps you might be more comfortable with the liberal society which is a non aligned public advocacy group (registered with SIPO) which promotes liberal issues and progressive policies. Unlike some of the other campaigns we are stand alone, and not specifically set up for Lisbon. We have scraped by with little money but we have 278 members and we are growing. I have attached some of our poster images. We are looking for new independent minded people to join with us.

www.liberals.ie

Just to be clear, is this the new incarnation of the Young PDs, or something else entirely?

I'm sorry but those voters will get ripped apart in the same way the *at the heart of europe* posters in the last referendum did.

But thats a problem with promoting a yes vote, the specifics of the treaty are so unspectacular compared to the likes of Coir's lies that you are forced into doing essentially fluff posters.

I mean you could do ones that have *For better enviromental protection* or *For a more efficent Union* but that will hardly get anyone's attention compared to *£1.84 new minimum wage after lisbon!*

When you go fluff like those it looks like you are avoiding the issues and if you go with the specifics its uninteresting and complicated. If you try the same thing as the no campaign and go for possible scenarios (like the economy) you will be accused of scaremongering in the current climate (despite the opposition doing the exact same thing)

The reality is when it comes to posters, the yes campaign is truely f*cked!

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

The reality is when it comes to posters, the yes campaign is truely f*cked!

not unless the "wonderbra" lady makes a return ;)

you know I think thats the first time I have ever been thanked by run to da hills?

On the wonderbra, yeah that will go down the same way as *for the good of the economy*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Have these "Liberals" got a thread up here ? Might make sense to have one just to keep things flowing better or something or is this going to be the general " posters" thread ?

johnl wrote: »
    Just to be clear, is this the new incarnation of the Young PDs, or something else entirely?

Afaik it's a rebirth on purer ideological lines rather than the much messier politics the PDs had to adopt after having to actually govern for a while. ;)

nesf wrote: »
    Afaik it's a rebirth on purer ideological lines rather than the much messier politics the PDs had to adopt after having to actually govern for a while. ;)
    Yes I think if Coir are to be taken seriously they have to submit a list as requested by Matt Cooper yesterday on what their membership list comprises of for the sake of transparency. If they cant provide that then I see a problem.
    But folks there are others campaigning the No vote. Would hope for the sake of balance that we give them all the same amount of consideration and not zoom in on the cons of one organization.

• Advertisement

Yes I think if Coir are to be taken seriously they have to submit a list as requested by Matt Cooper yesterday on what their membership list comprises of for the sake of transparency. If they cant provide that then I see a problem.
    But folks there are others campaigning the No vote. Would hope for the sake of balance that we give them all the same amount of consideration and not zoom in on the cons of one organization.

Mistakenly replying to someone again I see! :p

I agree that one shouldn't focus entirely on Coir as being representative of the No campaign, the issue however is that they make for easy "column inches" in newspapers and entertaining television/radio so you can expect them to get far far more coverage than they deserve.

Advertisement