Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cóir - Good God, What are they good for?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

nesf wrote: »
    Mistakenly replying to someone again I see! :p

I agree that one shouldn't focus entirely on Coir as being representative of the No campaign, the issue however is that they make for easy "column inches" in newspapers and entertaining television/radio so you can expect them to get far far more coverage than they deserve.
    Yes god knows who does their posters. I mean putting up a question mark beside their figure for Minimum wage if Lisbon gets ratified. Thats just asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yes god knows who does their posters. I mean putting up a question mark beside their figure for Minimum wage if Lisbon gets ratified. Thats just asking for trouble.

I'd be very very shocked if that poster wasn't intentionally designed to grab headlines. In that I seriously doubt that they actually think that it'll happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Not all of us promoting the Lisbon campaign receive corporate funding, perhaps you might be more comfortable with the liberal society which is a non aligned public advocacy group (registered with SIPO) which promotes liberal issues and progressive policies. Unlike some of the other campaigns we are stand alone, and not specifically set up for Lisbon. We have scraped by with little money but we have 278 members and we are growing. I have attached some of our poster images. We are looking for new independent minded people to join with us.

www.liberals.ie

I.e. pro-abortion

Yes I think if Coir are to be taken seriously they have to submit a list as requested by Matt Cooper yesterday on what their membership list comprises of for the sake of transparency. If they cant provide that then I see a problem.
    But folks there are others campaigning the No vote. Would hope for the sake of balance that we give them all the same amount of consideration and not zoom in on the cons of one organization.

The membership list of any political organisation is a closely guarded secret. What makes you think you have a right to access people's personal information?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Cantab. wrote: »
    I.e. pro-abortion

Less of the trolling mate.

• Advertisement

The membership list of any political organisation is a closely guarded secret. What makes you think you have a right to access people's personal information?
    I see your point but if Coir wishes to be transparent we need to have some sort of idea of who the people in their organisation are apart from those already mentioned.

I see your point but if Coir wishes to be transparent we need to have some sort of idea of who the people in their organisation are apart from those already mentioned.

You're going on as if their leadership was a big secret. They're registered with SIPO and the Referendum Commission.

And what do you mean when you call for "transparency" (whatever that means). Do you want the names and addresses of all Coir members?

You're going on as if their leadership was a big secret. They're registered with SIPO and the Referendum Commission.

And what do you mean when you call for "transparency" (whatever that means). Do you want the names and addresses of all Coir members?
    Know this was a question raised by Matt Cooper on Last Word yesterday. I think it was to more to do in terms of who funds them given that there was so much confusion over who funded Libertas in last Libertas campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Het-Field wrote: »

Given his address, at least abortion is unlikely to be a personal issue for him. Or Emly, whoever she is.

apologies,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Know this was a question raised by Matt Cooper on Last Word yesterday. I think it was to more to do in terms of who funds them given that there was so much confusion over who funded Libertas in last Libertas campaign.

Ever ask yourself who's funding "We Belong" and "Generation Yes"? Oh and they use nothing other than Arthur Cox to do all their paperwork. All run out of Merrion Square offices. Can't imagine who the landlord is.

If you've got a problem with the No campaign, perhaps you should make a complaint to SIPO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Far Corfe

Coir. What are they good for? Excellent posters anyway.

The monkeys was by far the most effective in Neverendum one.
    Look at FF's bland and rubbishy "YES - for the economy" presumably referring to the same economy that they have destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Far Corfe wrote: »
    Coir. What are they good for? Excellent posters anyway.

It depends on what you mean by excellent. I assume you'd be screaming blue murder if the Yes side came out with posters that were full of misrepresentations and/or lies but you're applauding Cóir doing this. Yup the poor No side and it's 'grass roots' campaign, if we only knew where the 80 thousand came from for those Cóir posters.
    The monkeys was by far the most effective in Neverendum one.
    Look at FF's bland and rubbishy "YES - for the economy" presumably referring to the same economy that they have destroyed.

Neverendum, I like that. The Lisbon treaty is boring, so if you're waiting for 'Lisbon will make you a King' posters, you'll be left waiting. However it being boring doesn't make it bad and shouldn't mean we have to resort to lying to counteract the No sides tactics.

Ever ask yourself who's funding "We Belong" and "Generation Yes"? Oh and they use nothing other than Arthur Cox to do all their paperwork. All run out of Merrion Square offices. Can't imagine who the landlord is.

If you've got a problem with the No campaign, perhaps you should make a complaint to SIPO.
    Sorry you are misreading me here totally. I am merely reporting that Cooper repeatedly asked Coir for a list of their members. If you read any of this thread you would not have not have made that remark.
    I do think Coir posters are ill conceived and particularly the minimum wage one with the question mark attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Far Corfe

meglome wrote: »
    I assume you'd be screaming blue murder if the Yes side came out with posters that were full of misrepresentations and/or lies but you're applauding Cóir doing this.

FF coming out with "Yes-For the economy" given what they have made of the economy is a misrepresentation in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

FF coming out with "Yes-For the economy" given what they have made of the economy is a misrepresentation in the extreme.

Not to state the obvious but after what we did to our economy we really do need the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

It's ironic, certainly, but it isn't a Fianna Fail treaty.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

meglome wrote: »
    Not to state the obvious but after what we did to our economy we really do need the EU.
    Yes and I think thats why the treaty will be voted in. But any other reasons why we should vote for this treaty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

Yes and I think thats why the treaty will be voted in. But any other reasons why we should vote for this treaty?
    I know this is a lazy answer to your question but there are 10 possible reasons to vote Yes in the following post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61327732&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I like the idea of a right-wing organisation like Coir using James Connolly in their posters.

Puts a smile on my face as I cycle to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 liberalsociety

I confess to being slightly partisan on this - but Coir make me puke. So in the tradition of Lee Atwater - here's a couple of interesting posters.

Martin 2 wrote: »
    I know this is a lazy answer to your question but there are 10 possible reasons to vote Yes in the following post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61327732&postcount=1
    Yes i saw that thread. What about yourself. About for one you already mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jamijary

I love the Coir poster about being milked dry, warning that farmers will be milked dry post lisbon 2, funny but I thought the farmers had already milked the EU dry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    that 0.8% figure again ...

is it actually legal to put up clear lies on posters around the country? (hmm again)

that figure is true is it not? - that is our voting weight in the council but we still have 2%-ish in the parliament.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

that figure is true is it not? - that is our voting weight in the council but we still have 2%-ish in the parliament.

It is not true because it is a the new QMV system is a Double Majority system. The .8 figure needs to pretend that the one country one vote aspect of the system does not exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

it is true - but if four countries are against a law, it is blocked.

no?

(it is true, in a roundabout way - it is simply we vote and that is only worth .8%)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

it is true - but if four countries are against a law, it is blocked.

no?

It is as true as me saying our voting weight increases to 3.7% under the new QMV system.

The population limit of 35% must also be reached to block.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Judging by the Yes posters the Political proponents of Libon are making it into a referendum of EU membership.

Except, of course, it isn't.

Thank God these people (who either do not understand the treaty or are deliberately distorting the issue) are not the only source of ratification.

To misquote South Park; 'We angered the EU and its vengence was economic recession. If we anger It again we will be thrust into the darkness for eternity .'

But, of course, Coir are the real nutters :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Galwaybuzz

Coir's campaign is just a scare tactic . When i first saw the Coir poster i was alarmed to see the 1.84e as our minimum wage. I checked it out and was relieved to hear that that isn't the case re Voting Yes!!! It's not fair on voters , they are trying to frighten people into a No vote, as if people aren't frightened enough with the current economic and political situation!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 AuRevoir

Galwaybuzz wrote: »
    Coir's campaign is just a scare tactic . When i first saw the Coir poster i was alarmed to see the 1.84e as our minimum wage. I checked it out and was relieved to hear that that isn't the case re Voting Yes!!! It's not fair on voters , they are trying to frighten people into a No vote, as if people aren't frightened enough with the current economic and political situation!!!

....Then I read the Fianna Fáil poster saying 'Yes for the economy' and I said to myself that couldn't be coming from the same hypocritical bunch that absolutely destroyed ours in the first place. Could it?? :eek:

Advertisement