Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cóir - Good God, What are they good for?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Whether one likes it or not, COIR have quite a large impact on the debate.

resignedly,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Well Meglome and ei.sdraob, regardless of what you both think of Coir, their posters are no lies. The men of 1916 helped found our Modern State through astounding bravery, a State that was meant to be one in which every worker had an equal stake not one that the Lisbon Treaty would enshrine where the declaration on workers rights is considered merely a political statement and not a legal guarantee. Secondly you only need to examine the multitude of news daily papers in web and hard copy form that confirm the viewpoint that the majority of Europeans would reject the E.U. Constitution/Treaty. Why else did Brown in Britain ratify via the Parliament instead of upholding his promise to put it to the people of the United Kingdom. Lastly our collective voting rights will be greatly reduced under the treaty. We may retain our commissioner and have some very dubious "declarations" which already been declared worthless by Lawyers in Prime Time debates but at the heart of it all the treaty is the same document. Our democracy is being subverted. Cóir are an easy target for the numerous Catholic bashing "Liberals" who want to roll over the democratic wishes of the people of Ireland.

You think that we should vote no because a vote no is a vote against a treaty that enshrines the rights of the worker...?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Whether one likes it or not, COIR have quite a large impact on the debate.

resignedly,
    Scofflaw

They do, despite the amount of scoffing both No and Yes campaigners do at them.

People see the posters and leaflets delivered through the door and it creates FUD.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭patrickthomas

johnl wrote: »
    It's a comment on how they're connecting rather unrelated items together.
    The little haikus aren't meant to be taken too seriously :)

It's almost as if Cóir and friends think the whole Irish freedom struggle was solely in aid of being able to outlaw abortion :)
    Sadly, they seem to be having a marginally more effective campaign than Yes again.
    The whole campaign, on both sides, this time is EVEN worse than last time.

I do not know what coir is about, pointy hats and burning crosses maybe?

I do not know what coir is about, pointy hats and burning crosses maybe?

Given the generation you imply you're part of - they're SPUC, under a different cover. Youth Defence to the younger crowd.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭patrickthomas

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Given the generation you imply you're part of - they're SPUC, under a different cover. Youth Defence to the younger crowd.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Sorry i am getting mixed up in threads here, gotcha trying to capture some of the many disillusioned voters and maybe a few new cult members, always a tiny group have to be like that it seems, i would not lose any sleep over them, they care nothing about the treaty only their hope of getting headlines.

Sorry i am getting mixed up in threads here, gotcha trying to capture some of the many disillusioned voters and maybe a few new cult members, always a tiny group have to be like that it seems, i would not lose any sleep over them, they care nothing about the treaty only their hope of getting headlines.

Well, no, not really. SPUC and its various successors have fought every EU treaty.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Galwaybuzz wrote: »
    Hi There

There is a discussion about the Coir 1.84e minimun wage on talktoeu.ie

Click this link!!!! *snip*

the 1 in 3 Europeans have a mustache poster is hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Well obviously the lying isn't working as well this time. I just saw this little gem today and it's little bother/sister stickers all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

meglome wrote: »
    Well obviously the lying isn't working as well this time. I just saw this little gem today and it's little bother/sister stickers all over the place.
    I seem to recall the last time some of those involved at the core of Cóir and their ilk got a constitutional amendment pushed through, we had to have three referendums in 1992 to attempt to sort out the mess it caused. Even from their perspective, one could competently argue that it would have been better if they'd kept their traps shut back in 1983. These people don't have a good record of constitutional anything.

• Advertisement

My flatmate just admitted to me she spent the whole walk home last night removing the stickers (above) they'd stuck up all over. I've never known her to be political before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

now they are spitting all over our constitution :mad: and democracy

http://www.coircampaign.org/images/LeafletsPosters/voteagain.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Is this the constitution that they keep demanding that we change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jamijary

My flatmate just admitted to me she spent the whole walk home last night removing the stickers (above) they'd stuck up all over. I've never known her to be political before.

Fair play! Lets not allow this crowd 2 pull us back 2 the 1950's!

Is this the constitution that they keep demanding that we change?

I have a feeling that irony is lost on them.

Advertisement