Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9 in the Top 100, not bad for a country of our size

• 28-08-2009 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0828/crime.html

European police intelligence agency Europol is drawing up a list of the top 100 criminal gangs in Europe.
    Gardaí say at least nine major Irish gangs are operating across the continent with up to 40 criminals involved.
    The Dutch national crime squad says the Netherlands is the European centre for heroin and cocaine trafficking and the manufacture of synthetic drugs.
    Europe's police intelligence agency is situated in the city as many of the continent's most dangerous are operating from bases there.
    A number of Irish detectives and customs officers are based in Europol sharing information and intelligence with 26 other European police forces.
    The agency's director Rob Wainwright says criminals and criminal gangs are now becoming more sophisticated.
    He believes they are diversifying into cyber crime, counterfeiting and money laundering and operating in smaller, looser criminal structures.

C'mon Ireland!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Hup da boya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We must be very desperate for 'heroes' right now.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

less than 1% of EU's population
    9% of EU's top gangs

tis a proud day to be irish:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Doesn't surprise me tbh.

Ireland is a gateway into Europe for the South American drug trade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Does this mean we will qualify for the next world cup?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Does this mean we will qualify for the next world cup?

only if we use gangsters whose parents or grandparents were irish to make up the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

yip it really lets us down as a nation, that 1 in every 6 people are either employed in the public sector, or are gangsters, or both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Lets be honest The World Championships werent great for Ireland, we had one girl who could walk fast and that was about it.

So i say we stick at what we are good at and invest the sporting funds there. If they had the "Scumbag Olympics" i think we do very well. Imagine Anto holding a gold medal for Ireland for the 200m Pickpocket while the dance version of Amhran na bhFiann played in the background...we can only dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭sells

Its all stupid gangs too, not the cool type of gangs like in goodfellas. so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

How many of them were English?

I want to see how many I know :P

• Advertisement

sells wrote: »
    Its all stupid gangs too, not the cool type of gangs like in goodfellas.

What do you mean cool? Give me Podge in a 4-strip dunnes tracksuit over Salvatore in an Armani suit any day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Is TCRG there? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

dannym08 wrote: »
    less than 1% of EU's population
    9% of EU's top gangs

tis a proud day to be irish:D

interesting that from the european perspective of stats we are well above average, yet our politicians keep telling us we have the lowest crime rate in the whole of europe. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Are Fianna Fail, Anglo Irish bank, Liam Carroll, Bertie Aherne, Mary Harney, Beverly Flynn, and the rest of the biggest gangsters in Europe on the list ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

There's only 40 criminals involved for 9 gangs. I want Ireland to have a big cartel like Scarface or Goodfellas, then I'll be impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

Somebody told me Ross Kemp is doing his program on the Dublin gangs, does anyone know if it's true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

McArmalite wrote: »
    Are Fianna Fail, Anglo Irish bank, Liam Carroll, Bertie Aherne, Mary Harney, Beverly Flynn, and the rest of the biggest gangsters in Europe on the list ?

They are trying to make up as new category for them, but apparently it's tough to quantify their proficiency in their dark arts.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

duh..... the orachteas is on holiday, and 40 TD's are currently in europe on family holidays.

Ireland for No. 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They obviously saw the benefits of de-centralisation. I bet they said yes to Lisbon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

It doesn't actually say that nine of the top 100 gangs are Irish.

It doesn't even say that one of them is.

First, the list isn't even complete.

Second, all it says is Gardaí say at least nine major Irish gangs are operating across the continent with up to 40 criminals involved.

Nothing mentioning if any of those nine are in the top 100.

Don't let that get in the way of a good rant though.

• Advertisement

MikeC101 wrote: »
    It doesn't actually say that nine of the top 100 gangs are Irish.

It doesn't even say that one of them is.

First, the list isn't even complete.

Second, all it says is Gardaí say at least nine major Irish gangs are operating across the continent with up to 40 criminals involved.

Nothing mentioning if any of those nine are in the top 100.

Don't let that get in the way of a good rant though.

Quiet You

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Hazys wrote: »
    Quiet You

:D

Sorry, better get with the program.

Nine out of the top hundred, god almight, this country is gone to hell!

Can you believe it, the top nine gangs in Europe are Irish!!!

MikeC101 wrote: »
    :D

Sorry, better get with the program.

Nine out of the top hundred, god almight, this country is gone to hell!

Can you believe it, the top nine gangs in Europe are Irish!!!

Damn right.

Theres no place for learneded people like you who dont jump to conclusions in AH.

Advertisement