Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers Union orders teachers to stop teaching should the number be too high!

Options
  • 28-08-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

Anyone heard of this: http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/teachers-ordered-to-walk-out-of-classes-1871897.html

basically the unions are telling the teachers to stop teaching the students should the number of students in the class breach an agreement that was agreed upon within the union. I don't get it, this is taking kids for hostage in an attempt to get the government to borrow more money and give it to the schools. i mean shouldn't the unions think about maybe taking a paycut during the recession and maybe then we'd have the money to invest in the education system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its even odder when you consider what a side show the student-teacher ratio is, but the teacher unions sieze on it like it is the lynchpin of the entire edifice of education...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Teachers have a privileged position in Irish society. The surprising thing is that they do not have a similar position in all societies across the occidental world.

There is something wrong when a mere lawyer or accountant can be held in more esteem than a teacher, somebody in whom Irish parents entrust their children's education, happiness and a very large part of their childhood.

Whatever changes may be made to teaching as a profession, I would like our society to continue to value the often extraordinary role of teachers in Irish life. One final point, it should be borne in mind that teachers of today have a much more difficult job than teachers of, say, 50 years ago when the social "standards" of a strong church, "reliable" moral values, respect for "authority" and much else gave moral support to the teacher's daily work. This radical change, at the very least, should be factored into any discussion of teachers in 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Teachers have a privileged position in Irish society. The surprising thing is that they do not have a similar position in all societies across the occidental world.

There is something wrong when a mere lawyer or accountant can be held in more esteem than a teacher, somebody in whom Irish parents entrust their children's education, happiness and a very large part of their childhood.

Whatever changes may be made to teaching as a profession, I would like our society to continue to value the often extraordinary role of teachers in Irish life. One final point, it should be borne in mind that teachers of today have a much more difficult job than teachers of, say, 50 years ago when the social "standards" of a strong church, "reliable" moral values, respect for "authority" and much else gave moral support to the teacher's daily work. This radical change, at the very least, should be factored into any discussion of teachers in 2009.

you have it arsways , rightly or wrongly , teachers in ireland have higher status than they do in most other countries , particulary in the usa , outside ireland , a teacher is seen as a very modest job , this is of course reflected in the very high pay teachers recieve in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Rebelheart wrote: »
    This radical change, at the very least, should be factored into any discussion of teachers in 2009.

It's certainly valued in terms of pay for work not done under supervision, work that used to be considered part of the job. Any discussion of teachers should also discuss the requirement to remove those not capable of doing their jobs.

As for class sizes:
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2007/11/11/story28180.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Since when have the unions every been afraid to use the vulnerable as pawns in their game of greed?

Its the same when consultants have a fit and they wheel out the sick and elderly who are going to suffer while still tending to their private patients

• Advertisement

Its very much easier for teachers to pretend teacher-student ratios is critical as opposed to pay any attention to the reports reccomendation that it is teachers themselves that are critical: that might mean more work. Easier to blame meaningless ratios.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Sand wrote: »
    Its very much easier for teachers to pretend teacher-student ratios is critical as opposed to pay any attention to the reports reccomendation that it is teachers themselves that are critical: that might mean more work. Easier to blame meaningless ratios.

I think most parents of children in urban national schools would agree that class numbers are way out of control. I'm certainly not in favour of further detioration and if that requires teachers to take a hardline stance I'm fully behind them. Schools are not babysitting facilities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They are just restating the directive on class size - which was agreed with the government. Nothing has changed from last year.

It's a non-story and it's not even new.
    Oh, it's the Indo.

imokyrok wrote: »
    I think most parents of children in urban national schools would agree that class numbers are way out of control. I'm certainly not in favour of further detioration and if that requires teachers to take a hardline stance I'm fully behind them. Schools are not babysitting facilities.

its very simple , the reason we have such large class sizes and sub standard facilities in education is due to the fact that like every state sector , the bulk of expenditure goes on wages , if teachers are so concerned about pupils suffering due to the size of classes , let them as a whole simply take a pay cut , they are the highest paid teachers in europe , with this comes consequences and lack of funding in other areas , especially in a time of rescession , time the public saw through thier weasel words and stopped being such suckers

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

irish_bob wrote: »
    its very simple , the reason we have such large class sizes and sub standard facilities in education is due to the fact that like every state sector , the bulk of expenditure goes on wages , if teachers are so concerned about pupils suffering due to the size of classes , let them as a whole simply take a pay cut , they are the highest paid teachers in europe , with this comes consequences and lack of funding in other areas , especially in a time of rescession , time the public saw through thier weasel words and stopped being such suckers

The state sector was already taken a defacto wage cut. I don't object to having my taxes pay decent wages to qualified professional teachers . I want to keep the best and the brightest in the profession. The class size problem has been an issue for as long as I can remember- well back into the period when FF were fooling the Bertie is God crew in to believing in the celtic tiger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭amacca

you have it arsways , rightly or wrongly , teachers in ireland have higher status than they do in most other countries , particulary in the usa , outside ireland , a teacher is seen as a very modest job , this is of course reflected in the very high pay teachers recieve in ireland

Isn't that exactly what the poster said?

how can he have it arseways when he has said almost exactly what you said only he said it first?

or am I missing something?

see below

Originally Posted by Rebelheart viewpost.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The state sector was already taken a defacto wage cut. I don't object to having my taxes pay decent wages to qualified professional teachers . I want to keep the best and the brightest in the profession. The class size problem has been an issue for as long as I can remember- well back into the period when FF were fooling the Bertie is God crew in to believing in the celtic tiger.

That's a pension levy, you get it back.

I don't mind them been well paid either, i object to them been overpaid, i don't want them to bleed the ocuntry dry on overpaid wages.

Average primary school teachers are on €60kpa, unjustifiable.http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0416/teachers.html

well i for one have a problem with europes sickest economy having europes highest paid teachers , nurses and police , ,irish teachers are paid 55% more than in finland which is a richer country than us , they are paid close to 30% more than in the uk which is also a richer country than us , the arguement that unless you dont pay theese people such high salarys , they will go elsewhere is nonesense , thier not exceptionally talented people with such a large degree of options

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Teachers Union orders teachers to stop teaching should the number be too high!

Since there are so many bad teachers in the system that should be no bother then for a good number of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

thier not exceptionally talented people with such a large degree of options

Sorry but statements like that reek of a dislike of teachers that goes beyond what they get paid.

I assume you've met all teachers in Ireland and have come to the conclusion that none of them are exceptionally talented.

I really do believe that some people would prefer all the teachers to be sacked and thrown towards the breadline. That'd get back at them wouldnt it?

The reality is we're paid a lot. The reality is we have too many children in the classroom and it makes it a behaviour management exercise and not a learning experience.

Should we take a pay cut? Maybe! Am I on 60k? Absolutely not.. You need to be in my job for more than 20 years before you hit 60k.

Add 5k average to these figures as a qualification allowance that totals our final figure. Pay Scale for Primary Teachers

There's no objectivity on boards when talking about the teaching profession. Some people have a rotten agenda that comes from personal experiences that then powers a generalised view that isnt accurate.

I'd struggle hard if I lost any more of my wages. I'm far from thinking about my pension at the moment. Im thinking about paying the mortgage.

Im jaded from listening to people who hate teachers. Im tired of being treated like scum for wanting to teach children and be paid well for it. I'm tired of the assertion that people who arent clever enough to work in a "real job" become teachers. I left the private sector in 2000 to work towards being a teacher and I was laughed at because I took a pay cut to do it.

Im not in the TUI so I'm not bound by this decision. I'll teach however many children that are put in front of me. It'll be over 30 this year. The class size reality is that I'd have a lot more time for each individual child if I had 25 or 26.

If we took a 10% paycut, does anyone really think the class sizes would be reduced? Seriously? Or would the sight of teachers taking huge paycuts really make people happy because they hated their own teachers?

Anyway.. My post will be disregarded.. We're all overpaid underachievers who didnt have the intellect to do a real job so we're hiding in a classroom while the children learn from themselves. Give me a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I have no problem giving you a break, just don't (not you personally) treat the general public as idiots and expect them to think that it's the children is your prime concern.

Give us credit for some cop on.

I have no problem giving you a break, just don't (not you personally) treat the general public as idiots and expect them to think that it's the children is your prime concern.

Maybe I'm not the average then, because I gave up a bigger wage to do this job because teaching children is a primary concern for me. My prime concern is paying my mortgage and supporting my family. Is it unbelieveable that I am motivated and concerned with making sure my students do well? Its a kick in the ass for people who really do put their heart and soul into this job to have their motivation questioned and tarnished. I'm not saying all teachers are like me.. far from it, but we arent all treating the public like idiots. I've been in the private sector so I can see it from that side. I've done nothing wrong. I've treated nobody like an idiot. I work hard from 8:30am until around 4 every day. I take a lot of work home. I get well paid, and if I believed the class sizes would come down I'd take another cut in my basic take home pay.

We arent all the same. I do care about the children I teach, otherwise I wouldnt have resigned from the private sector.

What should I say to this? I'm not sure what you want me to do in order to give you credit. I can only tell you what I do and what I think personally. Its hard to be rational when you hear things regularly like "Those who cant work, teach".. Its insulting personally.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Trotter wrote: »
    The reality is we're paid a lot. The reality is we have too many children in the classroom and it makes it a behaviour management exercise and not a learning experience.
    Well it's good, if nothing else, to see a teacher admit they are paid well - from those charts you linked, someone just qualified in teaching could be on 38k a year starting out for working 9/10 months a year.

So clearly pay isn't an issue and so do you really believe those teachers who complain about class size are actually doing it out of interest for their pupils? Sure maybe you are but would a 20% increase in class size mean that the 16% less time you have for pupils would make that much of a difference to a child's education? Why not do some extra work outside of hours? I was talking to someone at work recently and he said he'd love to get into teaching because of the sweet deal they had regarding hours - that was based on his gf who is a full-time teacher in a disadvantaged area.

ixoy wrote: »
    Well it's good, if nothing else, to see a teacher admit they are paid well - from those charts you linked, someone just qualified in teaching could be on 38k a year starting out for working 9/10 months a year.

So clearly pay isn't an issue and so do you really believe those teachers who complain about class size are actually doing it out of interest for their pupils? Sure maybe you are but would a 20% increase in class size mean that the 16% less time you have for pupils would make that much of a difference to a child's education? Why not do some extra work outside of hours? I was talking to someone at work recently and he said he'd love to get into teaching because of the sweet deal they had regarding hours - that was based on his gf who is a full-time teacher in a disadvantaged area.

I didn't say pay isn't an issue. I want to keep my wages as they are! Who doesn't??

I believe a hell of a lot of teachers really do care and are "doing it out of interest for their pupils".. I work with them!

I spend a couple of hours every evening planning, setting up lessons, etc. etc. I spend my days trying to help these kids, but I want to go home in the evening to my own life. Is that a sin? Our curriculum at primary level was redesigned around 2000 for smaller class sizes, group work activities, group learning etc. Its really difficult to do a science experiment properly with 30 children of varying levels.

The ideal situation is for the country to invest money in reducing the size of the class so that I can teach this new curriculum. If I needed to take a 10% pay cut for that to happen, I would! But... If I took that 10% pay cut, nothing would happen to those class sizes. Nothing.

You ask if I'd do extra classes in the evening? I would if I didnt spend the evenings already working on preparation and the admin side of the job. There comes a time in the evening when everyone wants to go home to their families. I'm no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

I think it is important to distinguish between new entrants into the profession and the older teachers who in all honesty are very well paid and have very good terms and conditions relating to their employment.

Newer teachers seem to be getting into the proffession for the right reasons as opposed to some of the old brigade who, if my schooldays were anything to go by, do not have childrens best interests at heart. I am not saying this about every teacher, but dear oh dear at least 4 of my secondary school teachers needed sacking. One was an alcoholic, I dont mean he was a bit tipsy from time to time, he was a full blown alcoholic who came into work every couple of days, shouted abuse at students and staggered home.

I paid for grinds to make up for his lack of teaching which my folks could barely afford and I managed to scrape a pass in the subject. I left school 16 years ago. He is still there. How has this man not been fired?

The teachers need to face up to their internal problems. I see no justification for increasing class sizes and absolutely discipline is harder to deal with than ever before, but if the teachers cause is to be taken seriously then they have to be willing to ruthlessly strip out the dead wood and not support every issue in the same NO NO NO "its the children we are doing this for etc" manner. If it was the children that were the main concern this otherwise unemployable individual would be unemployed and children would not have to ask their folks for grind money to make up for his shortcomings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭di2772

Mario007 wrote: »
    Anyone heard of this: http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/teachers-ordered-to-walk-out-of-classes-1871897.html

basically the unions are telling the teachers to stop teaching the students should the number of students in the class breach an agreement that was agreed upon within the union. I don't get it, this is taking kids for hostage in an attempt to get the government to borrow more money and give it to the schools. i mean shouldn't the unions think about maybe taking a paycut during the recession and maybe then we'd have the money to invest in the education system?

Good, about time someone stood up to be counted.

I, for one, dont want my kids in larger classes.

I think the teachers do a great job. I have a lot of respect for them.

I was on the board of management at my kids school and i found out how valuable teachers really are. I also found out they work a lot harder than i thought they did too.

Anyone who wants to slate teachers should go and get on a schools board of management and find out what the job actually involves. And not assume they know what a teachers job entails, just because they went to school when they were children.

di2772 wrote: »
    Anyone who wants to slate teachers should go and get on a schools board of management and find out what the job actually involves. And not assume they know what a teachers job entails, just because they went to school when they were children.

Thanks.. Thats 1 anyway.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What needs to be broken with teachers is the idea of tenure, that people who profoundly can't teach, can be unsackable, is ridiculous. It also keeps younger teachers, who can teach, out of a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

di2772 wrote: »
    I think the teachers do a great job. I have a lot of respect for them.

I was educated in Italy, the USA, Ireland and Australia. The quality of teaching was lowest in Ireland. We don't have especially good teachers in this country. We certainly don't have teachers so good that they should be paid much more that teachers in richer countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

jdivision wrote: »
    It's certainly valued in terms of pay for work not done under supervision, work that used to be considered part of the job. Any discussion of teachers should also discuss the requirement to remove those not capable of doing their jobs.

As for class sizes:
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2007/11/11/story28180.asp

That's interesting, however there are a lot more studies that show better results in smaller class sizes.
    http://www.classsizematters.org/research.html

Id imagine, regardless of class size, its the minority of disinterested "messers" that will tend to take up the majority of a teachers time. 4 or 5 problem kids in a class of 25 is more manageable than say 35 where everyone is effectively on the same page in terms of ability and interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭di2772

MrMicra wrote: »
    I was educated in Italy, the USA, Ireland and Australia. The quality of teaching was lowest in Ireland. We don't have especially good teachers in this country. We certainly don't have teachers so good that they should be paid much more that teachers in richer countries.

I would have the opposite view.
    Having been educated in the USA, UK and Ireland (Im not counting University because that is down to yourself and not your teachers), i would rate Ireland as No. 1 by a long way, from my experience. And im glad my kids are being educated here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

The problem with what you are saying here is that is limited to your own experience. I had some great teachers during my time in school. I also had a couple that were terrible. I also had a couple of teachers who were obviously
    highly talented within their own subject but had difficulty teaching it to a level that benefitted all students, not just the really good ones.

Smaller classes has always been the key to delivering a better education to all students.

The fact that wealthier countries pay teachers less is a red herring. Those wealthier countries are less expensive overall to live in.

I asked this in another thread and I will ask it again here. How important do you rate the job of a teacher??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

In the modern age do we even need teachers? Surely we can create structured self learning tools to allow children to teach themselves?

I suppose I don't think teachers are important at all they are part of an 19th century educational model we are using in the 21st century.

How many teachers in Ireland actually THINK about education.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

In the modern age do we even need teachers? Surely we can create structured self learning tools to allow children to teach themselves?

I kinda see where you are coming from. Their definetly needs to be come self learning in the Irish Education system (most teachers would agree with that).

However we cannot expect 5 year old to learn by themselves. I doubt many parents would be willing to invest the time to educate their children at home. As kids grow up thought there definitely should be scope for more self learning.

Advertisement