Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle fears!!

Options
  • 28-08-2009 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks!! bought my 22wmr over a month ago and have still really to use it. As i started out shooting with a shotgun i have no rifle experiance at all.. I just seem to be abit hesitent in using it..Im always thinking about where the bullet is going to end up etc etc.. kinda pissing me off etc.. me thinks some balls are needed!!!Anyone else have this problem!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

elius wrote: »
    Howdy folks!! bought my 22wmr over a month ago and have still really to use it. As i started out shooting with a shotgun i have no rifle experiance at all.. I just seem to be abit hesitent in using it..Im always thinking about where the bullet is going to end up etc etc.. kinda pissing me off etc.. me thinks some balls are needed!!!Anyone else have this problem!!

Get a grip man its only rifleitis!:D-seriously though , its not a bad attitude to start with, at least you have consideration where your bullet is going to end up, which is good. A decent backstop in the form of a hill thats devoid of people or animals will be a good place to start, maybe grab some lad thats used rifleshooting and off you go. I fire lots of rifle ammo in the countryside, you just have to be sure you have a backstop in the event you miss and that you can plainly see the backstop and the area around it prior to shooting. There are lots of pointers which im sure will be pointed out to you, but the basic thing to remember is if your not happy with the shot then dont take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Agree with all FS has said.

The whole idea of a backstop is in case your bullet misses it's target or passes through it, you have something which will soak that bullet up.

When all is said and done you'll be the one squeezing the trigger, never listen to any hangers on about taking dangerous or irresponsible shots because you can bet your bottom dollar they won't be around when you're neck deep in brown stuff ;)

So just be sensible. Shoot some paper first, get used to your rifle, get used to the feel of the trigger, how it groups at different ranges, the effect of the wind, all that stuff. When you get more confident at all that you'll be equally confident out and about.

Just remember safety comes first. Never fire at anything you don't 100% know what it is, including eyes, and always always have that safe and solid backstop, then you'll be sound ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

yes u need some balls lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Howdy folks!! bought my 22wmr over a month ago and have still really to use it. ....

You did get it zeroed in properly? On a range say. Key to confidence in your shot is knowing how accurate your rifle is at certain distances. Backstop always a good thing but sometimes its not available. So knowing that your shot will hit where you aim and the ammo you are using will drop your target without passing on through and traveling on for a while ie. don't use a 167 grain bullet on a rabbit at 40 yards. Overkill. (By the way its only an example, don't correct me on the grainage of the bullet. I'm sure 22wmr doesn't come in 167 grain).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Feck's sake lads.
    elius, head down to the local rifle range, tell them you've never fired a rifle before and ask for some help. They'll run you through the basics in a nice, controlled environment. When you're confident enough in your ability to shoot with it, then head out bunny-whacking.

And johngalway; "neck deep in brown stuff"??? What the heck kind of shooting are you doing? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Have been out a couple of times have the scope zerod to 120 yards was geting 1 inch groupings at that still needs some fine tuning though.... Using remington belistics. I supose its just a case of getting confidence in myself and the gun....Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sparks wrote: »
    And johngalway; "neck deep in brown stuff"??? What the heck kind of shooting are you doing? :D

That'd be the stuff you can land in when out shooting at night, ya see a fox moving through rushes on a hill. Lie down with the rifle, check through the scope. Nope, change of angle all I can see are stars behind him. And ya have a muppet beside ya roaring at ya to shoot him ;)

"Can't see him, terrible that, let's follow and see what he does."

Anyhow, point being the only person who'd be held responsible for the stray bullet is the shooter, not the idiot beside him ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gunshy

better safe than very sorry,,,,,even firing a .22 lr i get jittery at times, back stop...backstop....backstop...no accidents is a clear conscience,and it keeps the heat of shooting in general in these times.....only my opinion :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It's nice to hear people behaving responsibly and it would do no harm for others to take the same view every time they fire a shot.

Just to keep in mind it's all about safety. :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

rrpc wrote: »
    It's nice to hear people behaving responsibly and it would do no harm for others to take the same view every time they fire a shot.

Just to keep in mind it's all about safety. :cool:

+1

Stopped shooting with a couple of lads a few years back because of their lack of safety or interest in where their bullets were going. I'm not that reckless and didn't feel comfortable shooting with others that were.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Have been out a couple of times have the scope zerod to 120 yards was geting 1 inch groupings at that still needs some fine tuning though.... Using remington belistics. I supose its just a case of getting confidence in myself and the gun....Cheers

It doesn't get much better than that my good man. In as far a rimfires go I'd put that down as pinpoint accurate. What you need to do know is get out to a spot where you can safely put in a bit of practice. The best one ever in my books is a bog with a good bank and a few bunnies hanging about. It'll get your confidence up and fill the pot. After that it's really a matter of knowing where you are in order to place a safe shot. Remember that a shot into the ground from a sharp enough angle is as good as a shoulder level shot into a hillside. What you want to avoid at all cost is shot's with hardly any angle to the ground with insufficient backstops. And NEVER shoot at a target be it animal or paper on the top of a hill or brow because that's the best way to send a bullet on a trajectory to god knows where.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

It doesn't get much better than that my good man. In as far a rimfires go I'd put that down as pinpoint accurate. What you need to do know is get out to a spot where you can safely put in a bit of practice. The best one ever in my books is a bog with a good bank and a few bunnies hanging about. It'll get your confidence up and fill the pot. After that it's really a matter of knowing where you are in order to place a safe shot. Remember that a shot into the ground from a sharp enough angle is as good as a shoulder level shot into a hillside. What you want to avoid at all cost is shot's with hardly any angle to the ground with insufficient backstops. And NEVER shoot at a target be it animal or paper on the top of a hill or brow because that's the best way to send a bullet on a trajectory to god knows where.

I though i could get is slighly better.. though i did manage to hit a fag box at that distance....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A fag box or a rabbit's head at 100 yards : good shooting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I though i could get is slighly better.. though i did manage to hit a fag box at that distance....

You should be able to split the fag at 100 yards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

You should be able to split the fag at 100 yards.:)

I thought you should be able to dot the "i" in Silk cut :D:D

Advertisement