Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Suicide

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Why is it that, often people who proclaim themselves the most christian of people are instead the least Christ like.

I have never bare witness to a being of this kind in my life. Anyone in particular whom thou are referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I've asked twice now for people to keep this thread on topic.

It can be taken that this is the 3rd and final request. If it's not followed we all know what happens.

Thanks

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Crotchety wrote: »
    Let not us glorify his act of evil. Suicide should be scorned upon. It is not martyrdom.

A tad harsh-my friend. Its very sad and a waste when someone commits suicide. Its not evil and its not martyrdom.

By all accounts he was a nice guy who had invested all his time and life becoming a boxer and it wasnt working out.

I saw a study on young retired cricketers who hadnt planned for the end of their careers have a high incidence of suicide. Kids who dont reach high expectations in exams also do. So you can see there were conditions.

The other sad thing about suicide and I have seen it in places I have lived is that it can trigger copycat suicides in clusters.

Maybe you have a logic or religious belief and while personally I see suicide as being a cop out nonetheless I can have empathy with the guy.

hunter164 wrote: »
    I know many have done it before but I suppose I just hope that something may be done after a man, who many thought he had the world at his feet, hung himself.

I'd like to see the mental services in Ireland improved upon. From a personal point of view my uncle suffered very badly mentally and he hung himself.

I'd like to see more advertisements for places men can ring if they feel depressed or down. I'd like to see group sessions advertised too where they could discuss their problems with people.

My condolences are extended to thy and thy family Hunter.

I fear however, that not even an increase in the production of awareness via information would stem this tactic of self-destruction. When one wants to take oneself from the sands of this earth they have only themselves to adhere to. Man hath freewill afterall.

CDfm wrote: »
    A tad harsh-my friend. Its very sad and a waste when someone commits suicide. Its not evil and its not martyrdom.

By all accounts he was a nice guy who had invested all his time and life becoming a boxer and it wasnt working out.

I saw a study on young retired cricketers who hadnt planned for the end of their careers have a high incidence of suicide. Kids who dont reach high expectations in exams also do. So you can see there were conditions.

The other sad thing about suicide and I have seen it in places I have lived is that it can trigger copycat suicides in clusters.

Maybe you have a logic or religious belief and while personally I see suicide as being a cop out nonetheless I can have empathy with the guy.

I do of course pray for Darren's soul to make a healthy path to Eternity. May he RIP. May his souls and the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of their creator rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Crotchety wrote: »
    My condolences are extended to thy and thy family Hunter.

I fear however, that not even an increase in the production of awareness via information would stem this tactic of self-destruction. When one wants to take oneself from the sands of this earth they have only themselves to adhere to. Man hath freewill afterall.

It's grand man.

No I think with the proper mental health services and the right advertising men will speak to people.

I don't think the government are fit to spend money on this at the moment. Considering that they didn't before - not with any significance anyway - I doubt they will in the current economic paralystic state of this country.

well we can only hope i suppose. Realistically speaking, with the right kind of thinking, it would take only small amounts to do something beneficial in this area.

Considering the tragic waste of life that accompanies suicide, can we really afford not to spend a few euro

well we can only hope i suppose. Realistically speaking, with the right kind of thinking, it would take only small amounts to do something beneficial in this area.

Considering the tragic waste of life that accompanies suicide, can we really afford not to spend a few euro

True. Tell the government they will benefit by tax. That'll get 'em moving.

Just say you cant get the money then how about getting a sticky together here on self help groups for guys.

• Advertisement

CDfm wrote: »
    Just say you cant get the money then how about getting a sticky together here on self help groups for guys.

thats not a bad idea. :)

why don't you create a thread, along the lines of your thoughts and if it gets some legs, some decent info we can sticky it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

I like :D

OK Im up for it.

If we say suicide is contributed to by life experiences then you need to be able to cope with and the support services available for guys on on-going situations and support groups for friends and families.

So we would list the support group and speciality and contact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Aware have an interactive map on website giving contact details of their support groups around the country.

http://www.aware.ie/support.htm

There is a similar organistion in the Uk and I assume Northern Ireland called MIND.

http://www.mind.org.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think that the society we live in (western) likes to attach labels to everyone who according to the masses/docs/shrinks isnt 'normal' (wouldnt you just love to punch the guy in the face who invented that word)

Abnormality comes with stigma and preconceptions and stereotypes, and then comes the interweb, suddenly everyone is an expert on everything, theres so much conflicting info on things sometimes you want the world to just stop (with a vinyl scratch) but it goes on and on.

Its all about the Jones' mentality, and if you dont keep up and you question what the Jones' do, you might as well talk to the wall, cause there is no point talking to another Jones' about the situation/feelings, are you following?

So encounters turn into 'elephant in the room' - you're dying to ask something, but you dont knoew if the other person is a Jones' or not yet, and so the dilemma begins/continues

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭PANADOL

I agree except i dont call them the jones i call them the sheeple!

are you following?

no

Advertisement