Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Problem with DVD RW Drive

Options
  • 28-08-2009 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I'm working on a system that recognises the DVD RW Drive in Bios. When I enter XP it is seen in My Computer and Device Manager with the correct Driver installed. The thing is when I try to see the contents of the Disc in explorer it shows nothing.
    When I insert a Disc I can hear it loading but it then stops. Believing that the Drive was the problem I replaced it with a working DVD RW Drive and I also replaced the IDE ribbon cable. The problem still persisted. Now I'm thinking its an OS problem. I am truly stumped.

The Drive will also open in explorer when it has no disc inserted. I also inserted a Vista disc and it ran ok but it wont run anything else no matter what type of disc.

Anbody got any ideas about this? It is very strange.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

try a vista repair or even easy,r try a system restore to wen it was working ok

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

Its XP and its a fresh install.
    I only tried a Vista Disc to see if it would run.
    I tried all sorts of discs and Vista was the only one that ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

sounds like you'll be needing to do fresh install of xp then

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

XP Disc wont run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Gerb68 wrote: »
    XP Disc wont run.

But you can boot from it right?

When you start up the pc press the key that selects "boot device" If it's recognised in the bios then this should work

• Advertisement
Advertisement