Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO Waterford XB360 Owners

• 28-08-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Apologies to mods if this is in the wrong place but it is a local question !

Just picked up a new 360 Elite but was wondering would anyone local have the HD transfer kit ? Didn't realise it didn't come with, kinda embarassing considering I sell them to folk everyday of the week !

Again, apologies if this isn't the place !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

you some ejit , I sold mine to Annes bro the other week for buttons as I got it for extra special price from Smiths . ha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What exactly is it you are looking for? I don't have an XBox but I wonder would some of my own IT kit be any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

you can use a memory card to transfer stuff between the two drives.Doesn't take that much longer from what I've heard from others.As well, I think that they can only be used once, thats why xbox give them away for free.
    Unfortunately , the only way to transfer the stuff is with either the transfer cable or the xbox memory card.They brought out stuff a while ago that was supposed to allow you to do it through your pc, but because it wasn't licensed by msoft. they included a block on the updates of the 360s that rendered the hardware and software useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I've never seen one Sully but I'm lead to believe its a regular USB on one end and the other fits the 360 hardrive when its removed from the console. I can send away to MS for one but Christ knows how long I'll be waiting !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What I could do is, assuming its an IDE/SATA hard drive, connect the old drive and back it up to my PC. Then connect the new drive and restore the backup. Just the usual manual way.

I can give you the HDD cradle which connects to the PCs USB port. Then you can backup what you want, put in the newer drive, and restore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Meatwad wrote: »
    you can use a memory card to transfer stuff between the two drives.Doesn't take that much longer from what I've heard from others.As well, I think that they can only be used once, thats why xbox give them away for free.
    Unfortunately , the only way to transfer the stuff is with either the transfer cable or the xbox memory card.They brought out stuff a while ago that was supposed to allow you to do it through your pc, but because it wasn't licensed by msoft. they included a block on the updates of the 360s that rendered the hardware and software useless.

Not all saves can be moved via memory card. Some games forbid it. Silly, I know.

Sully wrote: »
    What I could do is, assuming its an IDE/SATA hard drive, connect the old drive and back it up to my PC. Then connect the new drive and restore the backup. Just the usual manual way.

I can give you the HDD cradle which connects to the PCs USB port. Then you can backup what you want, put in the newer drive, and restore.

That will require disassembling the drive and voiding the warranty, and it isn't as simple as doing a backup either, AFAIK. It uses it's own modified version of FAT, XFAT, and would also need special software to read it. I seem to remember something about the hacking way of doing it requiring extra work due to making a direct copy resulting the the new drive only showing the capacity of the original drive. So the 120GB drive would only show 20GB or 60GB, depending on what the original drive was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Ronyponyboi

I would just buy one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drive-Transfer-Cable-Migration-Microsoft/dp/B002L28P34/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251503595&sr=8-3

friend has one works well + you can mod your saves to get extra ammo and all that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Couldn't you just borrow one from work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Ronyponyboi

AdMMM wrote: »

Yea where do you work gamestop,smyths ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Im guessing the only important stuff you need off the old drive are game saves? Get a memory card and your sorted doesnt take that long, thats how I did it! The rest you can download.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

AdMMM wrote: »

They come with the standalone 120GB drive, so it would require opening a blister pack that can't be resealed. So unless there happened to be a product that was opened lying around it's unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Kahless wrote: »
    They come with the standalone 120GB drive, so it would require opening a blister pack that can't be resealed. So unless there happened to be a product that was opened lying around it's unlikely.

Bingo !

Advertisement