Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balancing social life and coursework?

Options
  • 28-08-2009 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi, I was never very good at balancing school and fun, so I guess it is only going to be harder in college. Does anyone have any advice? Class parties are important for making friends right? So I should try to go to them if I want to make new friends I suppose. Anyone got any ideas? Sorry for stupid thread :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Hi, I was never very good at balancing school and fun, so I guess it is only going to be harder in college. Does anyone have any advice? Class parties are important for making friends right? So I should try to go to them if I want to make new friends I suppose. Anyone got any ideas? Sorry for stupid thread :D

Well like.. :) Idk about you but I've 14 hours of college a week with some gaps so like, if you just match college hours with study time in the library it should be fine but that's my plan anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Well it's like this, you get out of college what you put into it. So the more work, study and reading you do, the better you will perform. Trust me, it's worth putting the work in, but for every hour of partying, you should spend two at the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    Well like.. :) Idk about you but I've 14 hours of college a week with some gaps so like, if you just match college hours with study time in the library it should be fine but that's my plan anyway

If you spend 14 hours a week in the library from the start of first year, you'll be laughing come exam time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

dyl10 wrote: »
    If you spend 14 hours a week in the library from the start of first year, you'll be laughing come exam time.

If I was going into first year and read that Id be laughing too:pac:
    But Im not:o Harsh realities!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

dyl10 wrote: »

No way you need to do this. Just relax in first year. Don't completly fall behind on the coursework, but enjoy yourself - you'll never have another chance to enjoy yourself in college like you do as a fresher. Future years will actually involve work, but first year is when you can afford to slack off a bit...

Example - in my first year, I didn't enter the library until March (Back when we only had summer exams). I didn't do amzingly well in my first year exams, but did enough to get through. After that, I put in the effort, and came out with a First Class Honours Degree.
    But I *always* ensured I had time to relax and enjoy myself - involved in several clubs and societies from the start of first year until I left (and still involved years later).

Like people say, you get out of college what you put into it - both socially and academically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Its important to have friends in and out of your class - just make friends in your class by talking to random people - all first years will be in the same boat, apart from the ones who hang out in the same small circle of friends they've hung out with since primary school (their loss). Join a small society or club, and go along to their meetings - don't be afraid to talk to people, as they are generally quite open and welcoming.

But for the love of god, do not live in the library - have some fun, you're in college - you need social skills in the real world just as much as you need smarts.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Join societies. It's much easier to make friends in college, especially for people who were traditionally not that good at it.

For instance, when I was in secondary school, I had more or less no friends in my year, and hung out with 3 people from the year below for most of secondary school. I didn;t tend to makefriends with most people as I wasn;t into sport at all, and was what might be known as a nerd, or a geek.

Then I went to college, joined Gamesoc, Sci-fi fantasy, Dramsoc, etc. and all sorts of groups that were filled with people who I shared interests with and got along with. Many of whom who'd been in a similar situation to my own.

Advertisement