Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lusk

Options
  • 28-08-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Myself & the wife are toying with the idea of moving out to Lusk (now living in Clontarf). I work in near St. Patrick's Cathedral & she is a nurse working in the Fingal area. Plan to take a spin out over the weekend but just wondering what I can expect. What are the bus services like. I understand it's a bad time to consider moving out there with the train line down. Also, what are the general amenities like?

Anyhow, all info much appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

snollup wrote: »
    Hi all,

Myself & the wife are toying with the idea of moving out to Lusk (now living in Clontarf). I work in near St. Patrick's Cathedral & she is a nurse working in the Fingal area. Plan to take a spin out over the weekend but just wondering what I can expect. What are the bus services like. I understand it's a bad time to consider moving out there with the train line down. Also, what are the general amenities like?

How are you planning on commuting ? If it's by train then you have a bit of a trek down to the Rush & Lusk station. Can I recommend having a look at Donabate as well ? Train station in the middle of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

chughes wrote: »
    How are you planning on commuting ?

Thanks Chughes, was planning on cycling 2 or 3 days a week & getting the bus on the other day's.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thanks Chughes, was planning on cycling 2 or 3 days a week & getting the bus on the other day's.
    I cycle from Skerries to near Clare Hall. Most of the road is OK, although there are a couple of areas where the road quality is abysmal - you should be OK if you are a confident cyclist (and have good lights for the winter!)

Amenities in Lusk are fine - a couple of local supermarkets (one of which doubles up as the post office) and pharmacists and a school. Rail station is a little out of town (and clearly not going to be much use for some time). Lusk commuters are particularly sufferering with the current problems, as many of the buses are full by the time they reach the town. Next week, when the schools go back, may be particularly testing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Hi all,

Lusk is a good little town, very nice people. Rush is its neighbour and has quite a bit to offer also with ever improving amenities. Rush has something for everyone
    • 3 Nice beach's
    • 2 Piers
    • Rogerstown estuary, great wildlife
    • Good walks
    • 23 clubs and Associations
    • Theathre
    • New library
    • 3 schools
    • 2 decent restaurants
    • very nice people
    just about everything you would need. Worth a visit if you are out this far 5 minutes travel time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Cycling from Lusk into Dublin city is one serious commute. I used to travel from Donabate into Dublin on a motorbike and that could be hairy at times. From Lusk down to Blakes Cross is unlit and the road in darkness would be very bike unfriendly, in my view. Are you a regular cyclist ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Thinking of taking a spin out at some stage this weekend for a nosey.

My wife, who is not a boards use is forever marveling at the time people take to help each other out here.

Thanks again all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

chughes wrote: »
    Cycling from Lusk into Dublin city is one serious commute. I used to travel from Donabate into Dublin on a motorbike and that could be hairy at times. From Lusk down to Blakes Cross is unlit and the road in darkness would be very bike unfriendly, in my view. Are you a regular cyclist ?

Hi OP,

I live in Rush (Grand spot to live) and cycle to work at least 3 days a week and the commute is fine. Should take about an hour. Do it on a racing bike however. a mountain bike or hybrid would be to slow imo. Make sure you have good lights and visibility for the winter commute. Also some of the road especially on the r132 can be quite uneven so be careful. Best of luck with your decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Hi all,

Myself & the wife are toying with the idea of moving out to Lusk (now living in Clontarf).

IMO you would be mad to move from Clontarf to Lusk (or pretty much anywhere!)

Advertisement